Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some advice needed on sorting out a trip!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

Just after abit of advice on planning my next ski trip, as not booked one in a while, and never one for me and the Mrs. Thinking about maybe 4 nights or a cheapish week (if such a thing exists anymore...). Im a competant skier - happy on anything not been for last couple of years but before that spent 3/4 weeks on the white stuff every year for last decade/fiftteen years. The Mrs is a complete beginner minus 2 hours or so in a dome with a useless instructor - was watching the end of the group lesson after going for a quick blast meself and was waiting for the mrs to hit the instructor over the head with one of the skis - perphaps just an off day but not sure will be returning to Tamworth because of that experience -- So quick qus is it worth taking a trip to MK or Castleford for the Mrs to have another go or not before we embark on a trip to a mountain?

But back to the main issue, not too bothered where we go don't want to spend a fortune though. max 800pp ish (all in) if possible, in feb march 2013 can avoid school hols.
I have own boots and skis but the mrs obviously needs everything including tuition (pref couple of hrs in the morning type lessons). Not sure where to begin after that now as tour ops seem expensive/don't offer short breaks but want to make sure i get it right (otherwise mrs not likely to agree again and i do miss that white stuff...) would prefer half board but not essential long as local grub is good value. Not sure about chalet as only two of us - i'm used to organising big groups in the past where that was the obvious solution!

So know its abit vague (can be more specific if you have any ques) but just after some tips on where to look and the next step.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowfiend, could easily help you out with all the above (short break, half board, lessons, kit, pass etc. within budget) except the advice on MK or Castleford. Website for our place at bottom of this post. Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Getting lessons before you go out, wherever you do that, will pay dividends. I wouldn't write off an entire slope on the basis of one instructor though.

800pp should easily be doable, but at the moment you're between the early booking discounts (might still be some of these going) and the last minute deals. If you can be flexible about where and when you go I'd be tempted to wait until a week or two before and book right at the last minute to get the best bargain.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Miranda: by the way, those using the mobile site don't get to see signatures in posts, so your link isn't visible to some (like me).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kieranm, Thanks for pointing that out - I didn't realise that. Not sure I'm allowed to post the website in the message though (I would have PMd the OP rather than post but he's down a crevasse).

As you say, 800pp is a very good budget (at least a week's holiday, though we do shortbreaks too), so there should be plenty of choice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
miranda, not sure how to retrieve myself from down said crevasse after having to shut down my email account - would love to add a new one if i knew how! tried something on one page but to no avail!

kieranm, i think some lessons would help her to get a basic understanding but really the instruction was awful and although they were only two instructers (and i do acknowledge the others may be fine) it is VERY expensive even in comparision to a ski holiday so if it is going to be a waste of money again think i'd rather take her to MK or Castleford as at least they have a seperate slope area for lessons. But do get your point and i would be happy skiing there again for me or when the mrs has got up to recreational standard...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi snowfiend,

I don't know if it helps but we have a short break available 7-10th March for £299 pp on a shared chalet basis. Ski-in ski-out catered chalet in La Plagne, en-suite room, complimentary bar etc. It's reduced because the dates fit with another short break to make up a week - details via my tag line if you're interested?

It's for the chalet so doesn't include travel, passes etc but should easily come within your budget once you add them.

Happy planning!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowfiend, if I were you I'd check on all the school holiday dates. If you go to France, you'll be much better off avoiding mid Feb - mid March. Especially important for your wife, as there's nothing like crowded slopes to scare a nervous beginner.

People will tell you the lift queues aren't too bad, etc etc. BUT - it will be far quieter outside the holidays. Check (with someone with no axe to grind) before you book anything, anywhere.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
School holidays in France run from the 16th of February to 16th March this year. I guess I'm one of the people with axes to grind... but there's no doubt that it is much quieter outside of those 4 weeks and going somewhere quiet makes a big difference to nervous beginners. So, for France, look at first two weeks of February or second two weeks of March. I think short break availability in France would be quite unusual during the 4 weeks of school holidays anyway.

Can't comment on Swiss, Italian or Austrian school holidays but I'm sure others can.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks pam w and miranda, for the advice about French hols hadn't specifically thought they would have drastically different ones to us (not sure why that hadn't occured to me) will bear that in mind as i think the Mrs will be nervous without being surrounded by people as you say!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowfiend, there is a sticky at the top of the Piste board which lists all the major European holidays during the ski season, so you can see when places are going to be busy or not. In February and March it looks like you can get hit by at least some parts of France being on holiday, but the weeks to watch for are when lots of countries are on half term as it is then not just the French, but also the Brits, Scandies and ubiquitous Dutch. Add to that the masses of Eastern Eurpoeans now coming into the resorts in ever increasing numbers and you can have a nightmare!

The February weeks seem to be the most favoured period for school holidays, so the 2 weeks in March where a lot of French maybe around but not many from other countries. If folks don't understand the impact of the Eastern Europeans on resirt numbers, think back to when we used to pick the week starting the New Year week as being one of the quietest - not any more. Now it is being included as a high season week by resorts with a high percentage of Eastern European folks as it includes their Christmas and New Year!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A cheaper way of doing it, if it is just you and the good lady, book a smaller resort in a quieter resort, The Maurrienne Valley, such as Val Cenis or La Toussuire, if you go from 16th March you should get a two bed self catered appt, for around £350. So thats £175 each.

If you drive and use club card (Tesco ) vouchers, your car goes free on the eurotunnel, just booked ours for March this morning.

Fuel and tolls for Four adults in a diesel Ford Mondeo works out around £75 each.

The rest can be spent on lift passes ( cheaper in the Maurrienne valley resorts ) and La Touissuire has over 300 km of pistes.

Food and drink, load up at the Super U in Chambery where it is cheaper than up the mountain.

http://ski-france.com/accomodation-Chalets-des-Cimes-La-Toussuire-Sybelles_3058_1_3.html is an example 350 euro
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blatant plug Shocked wink

I think you could find something for the £600 you’re looking for, but it will not be easy to get somewhere decent (near to slopes, etc) and I would check “very” carefully on what’s included in the price and what you’ll get stung for when you arrive.

We can’t match it, but for £745 (in Jan) you’ll get
Flights
Transfers
3 * Hotel near slopes (290m)
En suite twin room
Half Board meals
Lift Pass
Equipment
Ski school (5 days, 2 hrs per day)
ATOL certificate (in line with the new regulations starting 01/10/12)

That’s not too bad I think Puzzled

The hotel is actually 296.60m from the slopes, I know as me and 3 other snowHead's used a tape earlier this year to measure from the front door of each hotel to the lift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, - cheers for that - i think did say up to £800pp so in fact you are in the budget! Like you say don't want to get stung or spend 600 odd on accomodation each then have very few pennies for lift passes for both of us and then lessons and hire for the wife. So looks interesting - will have a look on the site cheers mate.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy