Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2013...?

Poster: A snowHead
This is not a wind up! Shocked

Travel Lodge are doing there £12 a room sale (although it's more like £20-£30 for any hotels I'm looking at) and thought I might book a room in one of the Glasgow hotels ready for the dumping Scotland is gonna get next year. To claim the offer the stay needs to be between Jan 1st-March 28th. Already got a trip to the Alps sorted in Jan so thinking of gambling on a Feb/March trip up there. Obviously Glasgow is still a few hours from any riding but atleast I have a choice of all resorts to carry on to.

I've been to Scotland 3 times and have been hit with to much snow, not enough snow and high winds...so I know how unpredictable it is. But if you HAD to which month would you book?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any particular reason for Glasgow?

Inverness is closer to both Nevis Range and Cairngorm (and about the same for Glenshee), or Perth is closer to Cairngorm and Glenshee (and about the same to Nevis Range)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
manicpb, Just called the Ski Club and they told me that the best snow will be on the upper slopes.

Glasgow?!? So, you're going to commute hours to the ski areas and back each day? Better off waiting until the snow arrives and grab yourself a B&B for the same money.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just thought I'd cut the intial drive down a little, I've obviously not booked any time off work yet and could end up jumping in the car after work. The reason for posting this was to get any advice, such as yours. We've only drove once (Aviemore), flew once (Aberdeen) and took the train once (Fort William).

I don't really want to drive all the way to Inverness to find out the Nevis is the choice hill for the weekend, Perth is an option but when I say Glasgow I'm including Sterling in that.

Cheers for the food for thought though! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, ha ha! wink

I new at some point I'd get that response, guess I'm getting itchy feet waiting for the season!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
manicpb wrote:
Just thought I'd cut the intial drive down a little, I've obviously not booked any time off work yet and could end up jumping in the car after work. The reason for posting this was to get any advice, such as yours. We've only drove once (Aviemore), flew once (Aberdeen) and took the train once (Fort William).

I don't really want to drive all the way to Inverness to find out the Nevis is the choice hill for the weekend, Perth is an option but when I say Glasgow I'm including Sterling in that.

Stirling!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef, yeah, and I bet they love being part of Glasgow Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
feef, yeah, and I bet they love being part of Glasgow Laughing

Unless the furniture shop has started offering accommodation Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the last two years I've booked three different cheap hotels over the weekend months in advance and then according to the conditions go where the snow is, or worst case cut your losses and don't go at all!

I book Friday night in Perth, Saturday night in Inverness, and Sunday/Monday night in Fort William: so on Saturday ski Glenshee or Cairngorm, Sunday Cairngorm/Lecht or Nevis, Monday Nevis (or at a push Cairngorm), Tuesday Nevis or Glencoe. Yes there is a lot of driving (make sure you car is fully winterized) and you probably won't get to ski everyday, but it's a great weekend away.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef wrote:
manicpb wrote:

Stirling!

No offence to any locals, but if I'm driving 5+hours and over 300miles another 20miles and 30mins driving is going to put you in the same area code!!

Ok you've got me doubting myself a little now. I've done a few last minute breaks before and still paid about £45 quid a room, paid over a tenner for a hostel before so a travel lodge at less than a tenner seemed a bargain to me. From Stirling I thought it took about 1hr30min to Aviemore and I'm guessing the same to Nevis, sound about right? Glenshee is closer than either, correct? And even if it's the best at the Lecht I could make it there? No snow at all I can go for a walk around Aberfoyle, is Stirling such a daft base for a Scotland road trip?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stirling and Glasgow to Nevis are about the same. It's certainly a little closer to the Cairngorms and Glenshee. Stirling's a better proposition than Glasgow, but it's still more than 2hrs to Cairngorm (don't use Aviemore for route calculation, as the ski-road adds at least another 20 minutes to half an hour on)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
manicpb, There are millions of rooms available at very good rates (cheaper than you're talking about) at various hotels, B&Bs, lodges in all of those areas at that time of year. Scotland is more or less run on oil and tourism so they've had to build lots of rooms cater for both of those segments. Keep you cash in your wallet and don't hanker to Travel Lodge's marketing Cool

Macdonald Aviemore always do last minute winter offers if you're going to Aviemore.

Wait and see what the snow is like and give yourself the best opportunity to ski the best snow by not booking accommodation now.

ps. easy-breaks.com seem to offer good rates on hotels up that way throughout the year, but especially in winter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if there's proper big dumpage I might be happier to be a bit closer than Glesga/Perth/Stirling given the potential for road issues brung by such dumpage
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I live just over 1 hour drive from Nevis Range where I have a season ticket.. I often stay overnight to visit other resorts... tend to book last minute... McDonald resort in Aviemore can have some very very cheap deals £19 is my best but it is often £39... if it doesn't I check Cairngorm Hotel, Dalrachney Lodge, Rowan Tree Hotel...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
manicpb, Have you looked at staying in Perth as I think there is now three Travelodge in Perth, one at Broxden another on the Crieff road just off the bypass finally one just over the Queens Bridge from the town centre.
snow conditions
we usually book a self catering place in Aviemore for a weekend either end of jan or start of feb; have never not skied due to lack of snow in recent years (although last year was limited)...wind on the other hand has meant no uplift on some days.

usually works out quite cheap- about 20-25 per person- usually something available last minute outwith the school hols.

I reckon as others say, wait til nearer the time to see where has better snow, especially if it's your only weekend up north. we can do day trips so less of a diasappointment for us if can't ski when staying there; it's an excuse to visit the cafe or pub! Very Happy
latest report
Normally mid March is the best time to ski in Scotland (on average the deepest snow is then - and also the weather which can be very bleak up North).

Did you see my thread about a snowheads Scottish meet proposed for next March? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90503
We did one in 2011 but last year the week we intended the snow all melted (unusually for the time of year, though it came back afterwards) so the meet was cancelled.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 27-08-12 11:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:
There are millions of rooms available at very good rates (cheaper than you're talking about)
Where?? He's talking about nine quid for a Travelodge Very Happy ?
snow conditions
Quote:
From Stirling I thought it took about 1hr30min to Aviemore and I'm guessing the same to Nevis, sound about right? Glenshee is closer than either, correct? And even if it's the best at the Lecht I could make it there?

Don't know where you got Stirling to Aviemore is 90 minutes. We factor in three and a half hours from Glasgow, which would make it 3 hours from Stirling (approx). The AA says 2 and a half hours, and as a previous poster says, you have to then add on another 20 minutes to half an hour for the ski road which brings you to three. Bear in mind also that the A9 isn't a great road as you're likely to get stuck behind something slow moving on at least one stretch so you're unlikely to be able to bomb it up there in less time.

Stirling to Glencoe would be about 2 hours as well rather than 90 minutes. Add on another 45 minutes to get up to Nevis from Glencoe if you're wanting to ski Nevis.

Stirling to Glenshee would definitely be quicker - less than an hour and a half.
ski holidays
stirling to cairngorm in 3 hours (are you on a bus?) 2 hours if the roads are OK and you want to be there for first lift and you know where the cameras are on the A9... It's 125 miles If you leave before 7am you will be there around 9am... If you leave at 9am it may take a bit longer........
snow conditions
Stirling to cairngorm in 3 hours? I did Perth to Manchester in 3hrs 30m in April!
snow conditions
Maybe I drive slower than I thought I did or always get stuck behind something slow? Done it from Glasgow a few times, and it's never been less than 3 and a half hours... ach well.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Stirling to cairngorm in 3 hours? I did Perth to Manchester in 3hrs 30m in April!

I did it 3 hours 29 minutes......fight, fight, fight!
latest report
davidhammy, Sterling to Cairngorm or Perth to Manchester?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-08-12 17:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
mountainaddict, no he's not. he's talking about £20-£30 if you read his post properly.

I'm working on a holiday brochure at work at the moment and there are deals going to be published in there which work out at £25 DBB (dinner, bed & breakfast) per night. There's even a deal which is a touch more expensive but includes a ski pass for glenshee in it.

Booking this far in advance is foley and does nothing more than let your money sit in a multi-nationals bank account rather than your own.
snow conditions
2 things

1. Who knows when the best snow will be. Could be anytime between December and May.

2. There is almost always decent price (£20 B&B / hostel) accomodation available in Aviemore, Fort William, Glencoe etc during winter. No need to pre-book now or stay in Glasgow / Stirling...
latest report
shoogly wrote:
mountainaddict, no he's not. he's talking about £20-£30 if you read his post properly.

Just for the record, the Stirling Travel lodge was/is £19 a night. If I share that with a buddy (could be three way if I booked a triple) it would come in at £9.50, what anyone says that's decent value. Admittedly I did post £20-£30 as the Perth Travel lodge's were coming in at the uper £20's.

I have a terrible tendancy not to do things if I've not paid up and got everything sorted months in advance so I'm still considering booking it up, even if I do as RobW mentioned and move on the following day after the inital drive up.

Thanks for everyones reply's and I never asked for a weather forecast but comments on timings and possible stop-overs were gratefully received!
latest report
By the way, this is the best website to check the condition of the slopes:
http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I stuck a new thread here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90880 given that I got sleeted on yesterday!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy