Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Is it me or is the Tignes Glacier looking in a rather sorry state. I cannot remember seeing it in such a sorry state over the last few years.

http://www.tignes.co.uk/webcam.htm
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Using the webcam's own archive, it looks pretty much the same as this time last year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jerby: Yes, it's you! As feef says it ends up looking like that each year - ie just about down to the glacial ice by late July/early August.

However, skiing-wise, it's often a lot better than it looks. We were horrified the first time we emerged from the funicular to see the glacier in it's midsummer state - but were pleasantly surprised at the snow conditions from the top of the cable car and off the top left T-bar (when viewing the webcam). Those runs aren't all that visible on the webcam image.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 25-08-12 10:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Iam sure you are correct. Maybe i have not looked this late in the summer before.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I believe L2A isn't in great shape either.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was sitting eating my cheese sandwich in a pretty spot overlooking Hauteluce, an hour ago, contemplating Mont Blanc. I don't remember seeing so little snow up there since the canicule of 2003 - but it's always hard to remember exactly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's August, ithasn't rained rain that much this summer, it has been consistently very hot for a month or even longer so it's not surprising. Mont Blanc doesn't look too bad - it definitely looks much better than it did in March/April last year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I don't remember seeing so little snow up there since the canicule of 2003
What eez zees, 'ow you say...canicule Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it definitely looks much better than it did in March/April last year.

Not from my point of view it doesn't. This was March 20 last year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Canicule = Heatwave. I remember I was doing french conversation evening classes back in 2003 and we had many discussion on the effect in France, many died that summer. I think I was there on holiday as well on the Med coast.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and this was last week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think I was there on holiday as well on the Med coast.

So was I, and I remember a conversation with a very scornful beach barman who pointed out that they knew how to deal with heat, and how to look after their grandparents, and nobody had died in the Midi!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
L2A hasn't opened today, the snow conditions are so poor Sad Apparently it's suffered from warmth/winds the last couple of days. It doesn't look good for it re-opening again (it would have closed next weekend after the summer anyway).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Skiing-wise, it's often a lot better than it looks
Further to the above, here are a couple of pics showing: (1). View of the glacier from the top of the funicular. (2). Snow conditions on the same day. These were in the first week of August, 2009:

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you look at current webcam and the 2009 image the glacier has shrunk a lot and is looking VERY sorry Sad
snow report
When we skied in Tignes a few years ago the instructor, Kevin, pointed out where the glacier had been when he started teaching there - about 15 years previously, I think. The contrast was striking. And sad.
snow report
I worked on the glacier in 1987 & 88 and it looked VERY different then.
ski holidays
This pics's doing the rounds on facebook

latest report
Ah, but the good news is, last night it snowed:

http://www.tignes.net/en/skiing-in-tignes/webcams-290.html

And I'll be there in six weeks. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
nbt, shock pictures showing snow melting during summer, who'd have thought it Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing
snow report
A friend was in Tignes towards the end of their summer season and said that although the snow looked grey and dirty it was perfectly skiable in the mornings, just like mountainaddict reported. It won't take much fresh snow to make the glacier look more appealing. I've been there at the end of September/early October for the last couple of years and had some nice fresh tracks in new snow on the glacier. Fingers crossed for more of the same this year Happy
snow conditions
Rob

I'm not talking about ski-ability, There was NO rock in the middle of the glacier back in the 80s. I'm trawling through thousands of old slides to see if I have a shot which will show the vast loss of base glacier.
latest report
Check out latest webcam today!
ski holidays
Rob D wrote:
Rob

I'm not talking about ski-ability, There was NO rock in the middle of the glacier back in the 80s. I'm trawling through thousands of old slides to see if I have a shot which will show the vast loss of base glacier.
Yes, even in the 10 years or so that I've been skiing at Tignes out of season the shrinking of the glacier is obvious.
ski holidays
Today's view.

snow report
Here's another photo which gives a better idea of this weekend's snowfall Happy

snow report
Rob D, I'd be interested in seeing such pics!
latest report
pam w wrote:

So was I, and I remember a conversation with a very scornful beach barman who pointed out that they knew how to deal with heat, and how to look after their grandparents, and nobody had died in the Midi!

Hah, smug provencals. Obviously they didn't feel the same need to make sure granny was warm last winter where the PACA had an extra 6000 deaths of old people due to the cold.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By the way, did you see latest webcam. That snow is all gone again.
snow conditions
Not surprised it was 24 degs in resort yesterday - shame I'm painting!
snow report
Wow, that pic of the Glacier in July is quite shocking, anyone get any pics dating back 10/20/30 years to compare?
ski holidays
chocksaway, Oils or watercolour ?
ski holidays
Farley Goode, Dulux Matt
Currently in the middle of a thumping thunderstorm in resort and snow forecast for the peaks tomorrow.
ski holidays
Which has duly arrived - rained allday in resort until 4 when it started snowing - so if we could see the glacier...........
ski holidays
chocksaway, good news from up on top is that there's been a goodly amount of fresh snow Very Happy Getting v. excited now. 21 days to the start of 2012/13
latest report
rob@rar, its looking pretty good, the long range forecast for overnight temps is about freezing level in Tines and well below higher up, but hey we all know long range forecasts suck, it could be powder heaven for you guys again Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

good news from up on top is that there's been a goodly amount of fresh snow

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Always my favourite time of the year, when the first snow starts appearing on the webcams !
snow report
rob@rar doing the Mo......
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
lordh, that's not me, but hopefully will be in three weeks...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy