Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budget accommodation in Lech?

Poster: A snowHead
Don't laugh, I'm being serious!

I’m planning our annual blokes long weekend. We did St Anton last year… which was great for me but the rest of the gang they did admit that the day out in Lech was the highlight (which is a polite way of saying that St Anton was a bit on the challenging side). So, the gang are very keen to go back to the Arlberg but want to go to Lech. I’ve never stayed in Lech, and despite spending half my skiing life in St Anton I don’t know the slopes there too well either, so I’m more than happy to do a few days based in Lech to get to know it better. I’ve found some apartments that look good but they are not cheap, I was wondering if there are any other options, e.g. cheap B&B or hostel type accommodation. Ideally we’d be looking at €50 pp/pn (there are 4 of us, so for an apartment that’s obviously €200 per night).

Failing that we can fall back to Stuben or Klosterle, I’m pretty sure we’ll get something there at around that price (hopefully!). To make things more challenging it’s a Thursday to Sunday trip, and I know how much accommodation owners love to rent out their place for stays like that:-o
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah, Stuben definitely cheaper base. Have you looked on the Stuben site http://www.stuben.com/Accomodation-in-Stub.18.0.html?&L=1 Have stayed in Oberlech twice which was amazing but so was the price tag. Have stayed in Stuben once and was around half the price for an almost equivelant hotel. You're only 5 mins from Zurs by bus/taxi
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sah, meant to add that I think gortanator uses budget accommodation in Lech. Might be worth getting in touch
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I think we'll end up in Stuben, as you say it's very close to Zurs and we'll have a car anyway so it's no big deal. And Stuben is nice, don't get me wrong:-)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sah, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1762146&highlight=#1762146
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sah, You might struggle for weekend accom in Stuben, they like weekly bookings but suggest you try Willis Pilstube and also Hotel Garni. Think you'll need to be at more than 50€ pppn in b&b accom though, and appartments want week bookings IME. Klosterle will be cheaper but PITA to get to Lech I'd have thought.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sah, will you have cars? Some friends stayed down the valley last year in a hostel, I can find the details if you wish???
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, that would be very useful, thanks!

Markymark29, yep, weekend booking is the same old story... it's going to be trickey:-) Klosterle is only a few km down the valley, not hard to get to Zurs with a car (I think?).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, If you get the details on the hostel I'd be keen for a PM on that too sometime, for future reference, sounds good.

sah, Also worth looking at Stubenbach (further up the Lech valley), quiet place on the ski bus-route, once went up there when caught bus in wrong direction!.... looks very good and plenty of b&b pensions.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sah, Markymark29, I'll ask, he's on holiday this week so remind me in a weeks time if I've not posted !!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:

sah, Also worth looking at Stubenbach (further up the Lech valley), quiet place on the ski bus-route, once went up there when caught bus in wrong direction!.... looks very good and plenty of b&b pensions.

Yep. saw a couple of places up there, could be an option thanks! Is it walkable to town in the evening (i.e. not in ski boots)?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sah, Mmm maybe a bit far to walk, about 2 miles I think from memory, but 4-5 of you in a taxi would work I guess regards in/ outs to Lech. That apres place on the bridge always looks inviting, but we're always off back to St Anton so have never stayed for apres............just as well looking at all the bling around there, dont fancy the prices and I cant speak Russian!

Going out there Thursday this week for MTB, staying in St Jakob and planning a day or 2 up in Lech/ Warth so let me know if there anything you need re intel whilst I'm there, could always look about if theres any you want any info on, photos etc??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, very good of you to offer, i think I'll just email the TO and see if theres anything available. Thanks anyway Happy

Have fun!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lech is one of the Society playgrounds (Dutch Royal Family etc) so a bit exclusive and they don't encourage cheap options (no camping ground near there in the summer either).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's a night bus that runs up to Stubenbach in the Winter up until about 2am IIRC, only a couple of euros per person so might work out cheaper than a taxi, think it took about half an hour to walk in to town (tho that was in the summer so quite a bit warmer).
snow report
I gave up on Lech, finding anywhere for a weekend trip that we could afford wasn't looking likely. We're going to Stuben instead, which is no hardship. Hotel Garni Arlberg seemed happy to take a weekend booking. Not exactly budget but not too bad. Never been there before but it looks OK. Cheers for all the tips!
snow conditions
There is no "budget" accommodation on Lech.

That's the point! wink
snow report
Two years ago I stayed in a youth hostel for a weekend somewhere just outside Lech. I think that I paid about €45per night including meals. The ski bus stopped just outside too. I will see if I can find it.
snow report
sah, Stuben has some great off piste, if you stay there you get first tracks whilst others have to
Get over from st Anton Smile
snow conditions
I stayed at Dr Murr Pension in Zurs a couple of years back it was great value, hospitable, clean and only a dozen steps to the chair lift and the apre ski snacks filling. http://www.ferienwohnungenvorarlberg.at/urlaub/ferienwohnungen/ferienwohnungen-uebersicht/zuers-ferienwohnungen/chalet-bergdoktor-ferienwohnung-zuers/

The hosts Verena and Michael were lovely, Michael was(is?) a ski instructor. I booked direct with them they speak good english.
snow report
I've stayed in a couple of Frühstuckspensionen (B&Bs) in Lech that were very comfortable and quite cheap. But it is a seller's market there and I don't think you will get much joy from requests for long weekends. Those that are willing to do them are probably booked up with regulars and the others, booked solid with people there for a week. The compromise is that we were usually up a side street on the hill above the main drag (and posh hotels) we could ski back near to the pension but had to walk down to the lifts when the snow was not too good. The buses did not serve that area, but as I always drive it did not affect me too much.

For the classic British long weekend, you are going to have to look elsewhere in the region and send off lots of requests. Have you contacted the Tourist Offices for the various places? I find them usually more than helpful and they are normally my first port of call if I don't know the area.
ski holidays
This is the hostel that I stayed in. There were a few Austrian school groups staying when I was there but my friend and I were given a dorm to ourselves. They were more than happy to put us up for just a weekend.

Ski bus runs from outside and I think a taxi into Lech was around €12.

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Lech-Stubenbach-005034.en.htm
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:

For the classic British long weekend, you are going to have to look elsewhere in the region and send off lots of requests. Have you contacted the Tourist Offices for the various places? I find them usually more than helpful and they are normally my first port of call if I don't know the area.

Yes, like I said above, we found a nice looking hotel in Stuben via the TO. We were after something cheaper but this looks like it will do us nicely, I find for weekend bookings you have no choice but to be flexible.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 24-08-12 8:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
kitenski wrote:
sah, Stuben has some great off piste, if you stay there you get first tracks whilst others have to
Get over from st Anton Smile

Shh! I told my friends I'd let them ski in Lech this time, they probably don't realise my true motivation for moving the goal posts;-)
snow report
Thanks Peter_K and Lechbob, they look like very useful links, I'll keep those for next time.
ski holidays
sah, make sure you have a drink in Willy's and also Haus Schneider - really nice owner whom introduced me to the delights of Heisse Witwe, although I think they sold up a couple of years ago to the guy who owned the Berghaus Stuben (bit noticed he was back in the Berghaus this year - thankfully as the people who took over a couple of years ago messed up IMO). Worth taking your snorkel with you too - snowed for 4 days constantly when we stayed there and it wasn't even snowing in St Anton
latest report
Excellent tips, thanks boabski!
ski holidays
sah, Good choice with the Garni Alpin, perfect location you can ski in and 30 sec walk in a morning, first lift up Albona, what could be better? Stayed there 3 years ago, will PM you the name of a great little bar hidden away nearby, when I remember the name! Stuben in my favourite skiing in Arlberg, done some great skiing there including a day late season spring snow with Torbs the guide who is a SH. We're skiing with him again over Xmas and I'd recommend a club together of your group and ski with Torben for a day, Maroi etc, outstanding. We've booked an apartment in early March in Stuben, can't get enough of the place, best snow record in the Alps!

Like others have said try Willis-pilstube, he's a great guy and excellent atmosphere in there, also get into the wellness at your hotel, best steam room I've ever been in! The hotel has had a lot of money spent on it in last 4-5 years, and the welness is fantastic. Also great pizzas at the place just above Hotel Post in village, and Mondschien opposite also superb.

Been through there today in car, so funny to see easy blue down into Stuben is a raging waterfall in summer..... Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, I'm starting to wonder why I've never stayed there before now:-) I love the atmosphere in St Anton, but the gemuetlichkeit in Stuben sounds just perfect. The rest of this group is not really up serious off piste (hence the original plan to go to Lech where they are very keen on the blues and reds)... however, I have another cheeky trip planned for mid December with a friend who does like the powder. Not planning any details yet as it is entirely snow dependent, but all things being equal we might go to Stuben then too, I may be in touch with Torbs for that one.
snow conditions
we virtually always stay in Hotel Laerchenhof, which I would highly recommend. Might be slightly above your budget, but depending on when you're looking, ya never know. The owner Andrea is great, the breakfast's killer good, and the spa area a delight. And they certainly have weekend and 'odd day' visitors, not just whole wek folks by any means

Might even end up there again in 2013 ourselves ...Wink How's that link to Warth looking?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy