Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Testing Boards in Resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've seen it mentioned a few times that you can try boards before you buy them if you are in resort. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of an idea about how that actually works? Do you just go into the shops and ask? Does it tend to be limited to only a few boards or can you try pretty much any of them provided they have them in?

My husband and I are taking a bit of a career break this winter and as part of that we're going to be boarding for just over a month in Whistler and then three weeks in Japan. I have an entry level board by K2 which I still quite like but given how much we're doing this year I'm considering whether I want something new. Its difficult to choose just from the written specs, no matter how much I research it, so I feel like I wouldn't necessarily get the best one for me if I buy before I go. If I can give a few a whirl I wouldn't mind paying a bit of a resort premium for the one that I buy as at least I would know I was buying one that I like. I'm generally of the view that its best to pay for the right one than save on the wrong one and then have to buy twice! I don't want to get over to Whistler and find that I can't try them though and then still have to pay a resort premium for something new!

Cheers Very Happy
KT
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler often have free on hill demos and there is definitely a demo fleet at Showcase snowboards/Canski (which is a WB owned retail store). They'll credit rental against purchase. Also worth checking out Prior Snowboards who'll do demos, let you watch boards being made then let you buy a blem at a discount.

Canadian resort shops don't tend to be like e.g. French ones. They know the internet exists and accordingly prices drop in January then again in March.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for all the info and the quick reply! It sounds like I should be good to try one or two once I get there which is great. I'll hold off on buying anything for now and just see what takes my fancy once I'm there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Clusaz in France has the european board test every January. All the major manufacturers rock up for three days and you can literally test everything thats there for free! Its a shredders paradise - and a perfect chance for you try all potential boards on your list - and there are also some good parties in the town whilst the test is on! I know the rep for Lib Tech and its definitely going ahead in 2013 - maybe second weekend of Jan? In the States they have the 'Goodwood' test in which they black out all the graphics on the boards so in theory you dont know what youre riding and then get all riders to rate the boards and hand out awards for the best at the end of the test... You'll notice the stickers on the winning boards when your in the shops... Good luck with your choice! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kaoticturtle, wow, that's pretty much my dream trip. Though I'd be checking out some of the smaller Canadian resorts as well.

Just a side note but the snow conditions are likely to vary a lot. You might find that that the the board that felt great on the firm pistes of Whistler is hard work (if you're lucky) in the waist deep Japan powder.

I've worked out that my fantasy quiver would have a small soft one, a stiffer all mountain one and a big mountain powder one.

Not sure what I'm recommending here, maybe you should just disregard the above as I'm very jealous.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Snow Hound,

We know - its our dream trip too! When we did our planning we both said "wouldn't it be awesome if we could..." and then we figured why not - its probably the only time we'll get the chance for as long as we're working. We booked a long way in advance and as we're staying for quite a while we got really good deals on self catered accommodation so its not working out too expensive. Although the rest of our trip will be in the cheaper parts of the world which helps!

Its a good point about having several boards for different conditions. I can definitely see myself which multiple boards although I'm not sure the bank would agree Razz Rather than trying to anticipate what I want I think I'll go with the flow and see what I feel like once I'm out there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy