Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chill Factore

Poster: A snowHead
We're over in the UK, in Liverpool next weekend for the bank holiday - we were thinking of going to the Chill Factore one day, but was wondering if there were any other options in the region?

If we do go to the Chill Factore - we'll probably bring our own gear, so was wondering what the best form is - do we prebook and print out tickets / passes and bring them with us, or do they give you the lift passes when you go in? What is the quickest way to get through the reception and onto the slope?

I assume there are lockers in the changing room for your gear? Do you need £1 coins for them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You say you may probably bring your own gear.....

You MUST bring your own gear. I went there for the first time in May when I was in Manchester on business. There is a premier inn next to it which is handy.

Anyway, I used stood in line and had my feet measured, very professional. Then I got he boots.... an absolute disgrace. The boots were so old tat they were like skiing in welly boots. THe edges on the skis were non existant and you basically slid sideways down the slope with feet flapping about in the boots (I told them they didn't fit but this was the best they could offer).

Seriously, I'm not too bad at skiing but I actually considered it quite dangerous and was worried about injuring myself. PS I'm comfy on steep reds and easy black runs.

I had one run and went back for a refund. They don't offer refunds but I wasn't too bothered with the credit note. I'll be there next month,,,,, but I will bring my own skis.

you need a coin, cant remember which but I'm sure you get it back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sack the Juggler, You can prebook and collect your pass from the machines in reception, I always do that. It is a £1 coin for the lockers.

I always take my own boots but use their skis and they've always been ok so far.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geepee wrote:
Sack the Juggler,
I always take my own boots but use their skis and they've always been ok so far.

+1

The £1 coin for lockers at least you get back - unlike Castleford. This is even more of a pain if you want something out of the locker you have just locked and hence then need another £1. Yep I am that stupid.

Pre-booking often is cheaper and saves the queuing.

Other in the area is at Rawtenstall outdoor dry slope. http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/ This has just been taken over from "poor" council management and is making huge efforts to be the best in the area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Using the SnoZone at Milton Keynes, I started off using my own boots and the skis were normally okay.. but I had a few occasions where it was like skiing with tea-trays on your feet with no edge grip at all. I use my own skis now, it's too expensive to risk wasting a couple of hours on edgless skis. If you DO take your own skis, bear in mind that the artificial snow is more abrasive than 'real' mountain snow, so it will take the wax off faster.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sack the Juggler, Quite frankly don't bother. Skiing in a fridge is fine for 30mins or so but after that it's just a waste of money (actually it's a waste of money full stop). Sorry to be a naysayer but that's the way I feel about it. If you're coming to the north west there's so much other stuff to do to be bothered with an expensive hour or so in an ersatz mountain environment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sack the Juggler, I go to chillfactore often, and whilst not a patch on alpine skiing, can be of real use if you treat it like a "snow gym" and use it for drill practice, or just to keep your legs in shape.

Tips

- anything over 2 hours is usually too much
- hire skis aren't that bad, boots are variable
- book online, checking out the monthly offers eg 2-4-1's, and collect passes from machines to the left of reception.
- avoid Avalanche (silly snow zorbing) / or freestyle days by checking the Events page.
- arrive at least 1/2 hour before your session starts
- £1 for lockers, which you get back
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
trickygibbon, +1,

Sack the Juggler, never hired their boots or skis but as above for a gym type environment its good, if not pretty boring TBPH. Avoid weekends midday onwards is my other advice although early mornings should be OK. I did 2x Warren Smith coaching days there summer 11 and it was excellent, great for practicing and analysing stuff.........not belting up and down as some seem to do, which takes about 1/2 minute max, cant see the point of that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are a reasonably good skier it takes about 8 - 10 seconds to get down and then about 1 1/2 minutes to get up the lift (if you don't have to queue). So you don't really get to actually ski all that much. Still, I do it occasionally to get the legs going again. Usually I alternate longer turns (trying to carve with no skid at all) and lots of very short radius turns (usually down the rougher snow down the edge).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
If you are a reasonably good skier it takes about 8 - 10 seconds to get down and then about 1 1/2 minutes to get up the lift (if you don't have to queue). So you don't really get to actually ski all that much. Still, I do it occasionally to get the legs going again. Usually I alternate longer turns (trying to carve with no skid at all) and lots of very short radius turns (usually down the rougher snow down the edge).

I often hear the skiing-lift time ratio bandied about, but (assuming no queue) is it that much different from skiing in the mountains with a slow poma?

The only difference is you're having many short runs and many short poma rides instead of one long one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think there is some over analysing going on in this thread, if the OP wants to go I'd reccomend taking your own boots because they're comfy and thats about it.

Its skiing! We all crave it even if it's in a fridge.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is the quality of their equipment really that bad? How does it compare to say, Hemel? I've been pretty happy with Hemel's stuff, but am not experienced enough to identify why or why not... (total skiing: 1 week in Morzine, 4 hemel visits roughly once a month for 5 hours without stopping and one day IO coaching)

I'm heading up to Manc for the long weekend and was thinking of spending a couple of hours at CFe and don't own boots or skis!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
driz wrote:
Is the quality of their equipment really that bad? How does it compare to say, Hemel? I've been pretty happy with Hemel's stuff, but am not experienced enough to identify why or why not... (total skiing: 1 week in Morzine, 4 hemel visits roughly once a month for 5 hours without stopping and one day IO coaching)

I'm heading up to Manc for the long weekend and was thinking of spending a couple of hours at CFe and don't own boots or skis!

I don't know about the boots as I only ever use my own, but I suspect they don't service the skis after every day or maybe even every week, which would explain the varied performance, from 'okay' to 'so slow I could walk down faster' with the occasional 'less edge than a sponge'
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
trickygibbon wrote:
Sack the Juggler, I go to chillfactore often, and whilst not a patch on alpine skiing, can be of real use if you treat it like a "snow gym" and use it for drill practice, or just to keep your legs in shape.

Tips

- anything over 2 hours is usually too much
- hire skis aren't that bad, boots are variable
- book online, checking out the monthly offers eg 2-4-1's, and collect passes from machines to the left of reception.
- avoid Avalanche (silly snow zorbing) / or freestyle days by checking the Events page.
- arrive at least 1/2 hour before your session starts
- £1 for lockers, which you get back

This is sterling advice. Booking online and using the collection machine is a good timesaver as no-one seems to use the machines, so you can avoid any queues.

Also what homers double says is probably relevant too...

Personally I have always found the hire skis to be perfectly adequate. I went once (late last December I think, maybe early Jan) and I got a pair of brand new completely unused ones, edges were awesome. I have always taken my own boots so can't comment on their hire ones.

Bottom line is, it's good for a laugh and pretty decent value if you get an offer (BOGOF or whatever, plenty about), but if you go in expecting too much (i.e., the full alpine experience some people up there /\ are comparing it to) you'll be disappointed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And while you might think you want to avoid the freestyle nights, they are often very good VFM allowing you to ski for 4 hrs for less than the price of 2 hrs. (at least this is the case at MK)

You don't HAVE to use the terrain features, but it does mean you can take your time, have a break, a coffee whatever, and not worry about not making the most of your 2 hrs.
latest report
feef wrote:

I often hear the skiing-lift time ratio bandied about, but (assuming no queue) is it that much different from skiing in the mountains with a slow poma?
The only difference is you're having many short runs and many short poma rides instead of one long one.

True.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
feef wrote:

True.

Unfortunately there is nearly always queues and falls on the lift, so at THIS establishment (no idea of others) I find if you average one run every 10mins it is normal. Worse if it is busy. If it is quiet they shut a lift and there is nearly always teaching going on which slows the lifts down too as they get priority.

And yet I still go and enjoy it snowHead Better than nothing.
snow conditions
The few times I've been to Hemel on weekends, usually from about 10am until 4pm there are usually no queues for lifts. Sometimes you might get say... 3 people in front of you? So it's very easy to go round and round and round and round then.
latest report
I go 2nd Sun of month with Merseyside Ski Club and gain a lot from it. We have at least 2 good Club Instructors (Basi2 or more) there and you can really learn a lot if you have their expert eye on you. Even on your own, think back to your last lesson (or the notes you made after it--didn't you ?) and practice with purpose. Sun 12th we had brilliant moguls. Speed of uplift usually pretty good. I use own kit (their poles) so can't comment on their skis and boots.
snow report
Thinking of taking our boots and trying out our new K2 skis over the bank holiday (getting the ferry over) - might just get a four hour pass and try them out for a few hours, just to see how they feel.
snow report
Jake43 wrote:

Unfortunately there is nearly always queues and falls on the lift, so at THIS establishment (no idea of others) I find if you average one run every 10mins it is normal. Worse if it is busy. If it is quiet they shut a lift and there is nearly always teaching going on which slows the lifts down too as they get priority.

Never been there - I use Hemel which is 40mins from me. When I go, I go during the week, very early or very late so no queues.
At one run per 10 minutes I wouldn't bother. I expect 3 or 4 times that.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Jake43 wrote:

Never been there - I use Hemel which is 40mins from me. When I go, I go during the week, very early or very late so no queues.

good point - just called chill factore and they said it is usually empty after 7pm on the weekend - anyone got any experience of this? might get a 2 hour ticket and rock up at 7ish
snow report
At MK, it's often dead after about 8pm (except on Fresstyle nights, but even then, it tails off after about 9pm). I've been when it's open till 10pm, turned up at 8 and by kicking out time at 10pm, I've seen there be only another 2 or 3 people on the slope
ski holidays
Well, not having skied since last season, I did that last Wednesday and it was full enough to 3/4 fill one of the normal two lifts. However the last half hour or so it was emptier and emptier and finally I was one of about 5 or 6.
ski holidays
Sack the Juggler wrote:
snowball wrote:
Jake43 wrote:

good point - just called chill factore and they said it is usually empty after 7pm on the weekend - anyone got any experience of this? might get a 2 hour ticket and rock up at 7ish

Usually... Unless there is one of the freestyle session running.
snow report
given its £50 for as much skiing as you want for a whole month, its not too bad but it depends what you want, after all its a fridge.......
snow report
have been on a Sunday evening and was reasonably empty.
Saturday evening is also quiet. (but not as quiet as Sunday)
equipment is similar to ski hire in resort (variable)
before I had my own boots have had some dire boots and some superb boots.

Went once on a Bank Holiday. After a wait of two hours to get on, managed 5-6 goes in 1.5 hours. so avoid on bank holidays

I love it.

Although it's only a large hill, it's the best option and gets you back in the mood for the slopes.

Enjoy Liverpool too
ski holidays
is it better to go early in the morning? i.e. does the snow deteriorate badly during the day so by satruday / sunday evening it is mush / ice or is it not noticable?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow quality at the chill factor is the best of all indoor uk fridges , but earlier is always better
latest report
Yes, always better to go the earlier you can as the snow is best then.

AFAIK only Tamworth actually shut during the day to groom the slope, so others by definition must be more cut up. Since the takeover of Braehead by IceFactor then the conditions have supposedly got much better - as good as Chill Factore if not better; certainly we couldn't fault the conditions when there last month (except that it was d*mn cold at 7am!).
ski holidays
Ditto what Tricky Gibbon said.

It is relatively quiet at the moment; went on Sunday round midday and no more than 4-5 people in the queue for ether lift. If going at the weekend try to avoid the afternoon as the bottom right half of the slope tends to be roped off for lessons/sledging activities from around 1pm to 6pm ish. Weekend Mornings and evenings are usually quiet at this time of year.

Definitely book online to get the best deals.
ski holidays
Sanityclawz wrote:

It is relatively quiet at the moment..

It won't be quiet next week. Dragons Alpine have a training camp running from Wed to Fri (29th to 31st), and 44 racers will be on the slope from 10am to 4pm each day. And then on the weekend there is the Brit and Eng/Welsh indoor championships, so half the main slope will be roped off for the races both days until about 1pm.
latest report
RobW wrote:
Yes, always better to go the earlier you can as the snow is best then.

AFAIK only Tamworth actually shut during the day to groom the slope, so others by definition must be more cut up. Since the takeover of Braehead by IceFactor then the conditions have supposedly got much better - as good as Chill Factore if not better; certainly we couldn't fault the conditions when there last month (except that it was d*mn cold at 7am!).

MK close between 6 and 7pm on some (all?) evenings to groom the slope.
snow report
Went to Hemel last night and it was pretty busy - if there had been any more people it would have been a bit poo-poo. Seemed to be a group of people going down one side quickly between markers (race club?) who didn't really affect things except for lots of them standing around at the top waiting, and a large snowboarder contingent doing amazing tricks like jumping a little bit off a bump then falling over.

The snow was very very bumpy so I think it would be fair to say there was no evening grooming. With all the people and the bumps it was good defensive skiing practice.

Got a bit quieter from about 9pm onwards though!
snow conditions
have a code for 30% off
TUI30P
ski holidays
I actually prefer it when it's bumpy cos it's much more interesting... It's never been so bumpy you can't put the pedal down if you want when I've been. Most people stick to the middle bit anyway so there's normally nice pristine-ish bits at the edges if you're that arsed...
latest report
psg2000 wrote:
have a code for 30% off
TUI30P

doesn't work Sad
latest report
Ok just got back from the chill factor, and I loved it Very Happy about 20 seconds downhill, followed by about 3 minutes on the button lift, but it was great to get on some snow again snowHead

Booked from 6pm to 10pm, but because we decided to go for a quick run on Crosby beach we didnt get to the chill factore until after 6.30 and it was almost 7 pm by the time we got on the slope.

Not busy, tried my new skis, they were great, fantastic on the icy bits in the middle of the two runs and then just slid through the piled up snow between them and the sides.

We stayed until 9.15pm when they decided to close one lift as there weren't enough people on the slope, which immediately caused queues, so we decided to go, don't understand why they did that, as it forced a few to leave, ok maybe that was why they did it.

Probably would have got bored doing it after 4 hours, but I had a huge grin on me grid all the way down and all the way back up again, I honestly didn't want to stop, but having to queue to get a 20 second ride in put the missus off so we called it a night, still buzzing now
snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Sack the Juggler, Glad you enjoyed it. It does really annoy me when they close one of the lifts!
snow report
Got back into skiing at CFe last year and enjoyed it immensely. Had many days there, initially using their skis and boots and then I bought my own boots. Have to say that their boots are not the best, although they aren't THAT bad. Their skis are acceptable IMHO although you start to realise that the edges aren't that sharp when it starts getting icy in the middle as the day progresses!

The main gripe I have about that place is the queuing for the lifts. They start first thing in the morning with one lift shut, which is fair enough. However, they seem to wait until the queues start getting bad before they open the second. Then there are people who keep their lift passes in their pockets!! The passes have a bar code on them and have to be inserted into a slot to activate the turnstile... so you have people stood blocking the turnstile while they take their gloves off and start searching their pockets for the damn ticket. Worse thing is people allowing their very young children on the lifts without helping/supervising them. Then you have just about everyone in the queue and an empty slope, loads of empty buttons going up the hill and someone who is obviously a little too small to be using the lift on their own missing button after button. The staff don't seem to care about this and really need to be more on top of it. Ultimately this is why I stopped going.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy