Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow forecast looking good for next season in La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
The Gentiane flower (Gentiana Lutea), which is a typical Alpine flower from the region, is very high this summer on the meadows around La Grave.

According to the older generation of local La Grave inhabitants, the height of the Gentiane indicates how much snow there will be in winter.

And the Gentiane this summer is VERY high, meaning.....?

Lots of snow!

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh OK. I didn't know that was a kind of Gentian - I was expecting the usual low, blue job.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well this just in from my friends in La Grave who run the Hotel Edelweiss http://www.hotel-edelweiss.com

When you read the earlier message last summer about the Gentiane plant being an indicator of this winter's snowdepth, you were a bit sceptical, no, thinking it was just "tongue and cheek" ?

Well, than check out these pictures taken this morning on our terrace...

55 cm of fresh powder!!

And while we write it is still snowing.

We told you: it promises to be a great winter.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like this post!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam, it's not been a good season till it's over...

Remember the huge snowfalls this time in 2010? Season turned out OK, but...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's an incredibly thick tablecloth. I have to say that it's a bit difficult to get anything off your plate at that height.

Otherwise it'll do very nicely.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Weathercam, it's not been a good season till it's over...

Remember the huge snowfalls this time in 2010? Season turned out OK, but...
Bite your tongue, that season turned out to be poo.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A great hotel,a group of us stopped there in the summer on a cycling trip,it was 35 degrees then!I'd struggle to get up the Col du Gallibier in these conditions!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just in this morning........

The snow is just epic, some of the guides we talked to said they have never seen so much snow in the last 15 years...

Talk now is of the lift opening at the weekends, and hotels are gearing up to open earlier including the Edelweiss
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avalanche risk is still pretty high though! And without any proper base I fear the worst within the coming week... Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting....

I've made a note in my diary to check on the size of Weathercam's Genitalia next August
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

never seen so much snow in the last 15 years...

Last year around 31 Dec?

2010 around now?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, sorry of course you know better than the people living there Smile

Even a couple of weeks back was speaking to my good friend Per As, a LG guide and he was extremely enthusiastic about the early snow, and I asked him why so excited as we've seen early snow come and go before, he then went on to explain how these snow falls were so much different, one of the main aspects being lack of wind, thus helping a better base plus various other snow pack issues.

Plus guess where I stayed last New Year and it was not like that I can assure you !

This is the update from Marlon

Epic snowfall

Last night we had an additional 25 cm of fresh powder, which makes it 80 cm in total....and that is only in the village!!

The mountain guides we have crossed in the village said that they have never seen as much snow at the start of the season for at least 15 years.

It is EPIC!

The téléphérique of La Grave is thinking of opening one week earlier, 15th of december instead of 22 december. If that's the case (still to be confirmed) than we at the Auberge Edelweiss have decided to do the same. Keep checking our blog and the website of the téléphérique www.la-grave.com for updates.

So get those skis out and come and play in La Grave.
Looking forward to a great winter season!
Cheers
Robin & Marlon

And yes maybe this thread should be moved to Snow Reports etc rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam,

Quote:

The mountain guides we have crossed in the village said that they have never seen as much snow at the start of the season for at least 15 years.

They always say that. There's been plenty of early season snow like this before.

Quote:

It is EPIC!

It will be epic if it keeps on snowing at regular intervals THROUGHOUT the season.

Quote:

Plus guess where I stayed last New Year and it was not like that I can assure you !

By last January, in most resorts, there was way more snow than there is in that picture!

Quote:

these snow falls were so much different, one of the main aspects being lack of wind

It was blowing a gale yesterday in VDI

Quote:

Well this just in from my friends in La Grave who run the Hotel Edelweiss

Have you got shares in the place?

Quote:
And yes maybe this thread should be moved to Snow Reports etc

Agreed rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jellylegs, bit catty?!

Pictures look good. Everyone like to see some snow photos wink

Have to agree with jellylegs tho that a heavy dump at the start of Dec does not a good season make snowHead
snow conditions
Weathercam, just being grumpy.

For no good reason having just had an excellent weekend and looking forward to another one.

Please remind me should I continue in this vein that I am not allowed to complain about UK newspapers suggesting that Alpine skiing is over, global warming causes cancer (or the other way around), etc.

Fingers crossed that it will be an absolutely phenomenal season.

And it's fair to suggest that phenomenal seasons require phenomenal starts, middles and ends... At least we have an encouraging start

snowHead snowHead
snow report
I have to agree with all the above, we've all heard the hype before with early season snow etc etc but like I say I've never heard my mate so excited before and he's not one to big things up.....

And this text just in from my daughter in ADH

"Dad there is so so much snow about 3 foot* and it's just falling non stop! Went out last night and all the steps in the resort were completely covered leading to mountaineering up hills again haha"

*amazing how she refers to imperial when it comes to snow depth, or is she just doing it for her old man?

Will be interesting though in around three months to resurrect this thread and to see if my huge genitalia was right Smile
ski holidays
Weathercam, I won't see it till tomorrow but apparently outrageous amounts in Chamonix town and I hear in Morzine...

Bring it on, but only in a stable and safely skiable fashion.
ski holidays
I read (on latania.co.uk) thatmeteo france are reporting this as one of the top 5 starts to the snow seasons in the last 50 years.... can't find the actual page anywhere though.
snow report
ansta1, I saw something saying top 2 in last 50 years.
Grumpy so and so's carry on...
snow report
So far this season is turning out rather well Laughing

Was out in Tignes few weeks ago and everyone was saying how good it's been, and we had a great week both on and off piste.

Mates are out in Chamonix for a long weekend, and yesterday the skinned up Argenetierre glacier before dropping down in to Le Tour and then last night they had 70cm up top so on for another good day today.

I'm off down to the Pyrenees at the weekend and they're doing rather well also.

So still have a couple of months to go, but not too bad so far !
ski holidays
Where are you staying?
snow report
Quote:

So still have a couple of months to go

three, more like snowHead We're not half way through yet.
snow conditions
in garbure we trust, in Bareges !!! Will contact you in the next few days.

Don't know where exactly but one mate has driven down there from Chamonix today.

And as a postscript, just had a text from my mate (who is a very very good skier, his bro who is on par with him will be in Bareges)
"that was the deepest snow I have ever skied"
ski holidays
Well just back from the Pyrenees and most of the locals are saying the best season since 1986 - and snow's still falling, my mate is out there all next week and looks like snow every day. in garbure we trust, was saying that if they get another metre, which is possible, the avalanche defenses protecting the village could fail and they will have to evacuate the village!

The depths of snow in the trees last week was superb making for some great tree skiing, usually where you would normally expect to find ledges as a road / track snakes through the forest they were just gentle drop offs, great play ground.

The whole trip was quite ironic in that three mates chose not to come, opting for Chamonix instead on the basis that you never get much snow in the Pyrenees, needless to say they were bombarded with texts / email and pictures as well as video evidence Smile

Bareges tree skiing in The Pyrenees from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/59298434

Just an average day in the Pyrenees, considering it never really snows that much from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/59165967

Now have March and April to look forward to in Serre / La Grave, though heard from my mate who is a guide living above LG that last week in Japan that he did ligaments in his foot and is off games got 8-9 weeks Sad
latest report
Just had this email in from my mate still out in the Pyrenees, see what I said about the possibility of the village being evacuated !

Bareges village evacuated this afternoon after returned from usual climb (up to top of drags with Jamie: Lucy stopped at Loisette) as resort closed last 2 days.

S slope avalanche and tree debris crossed valley and river and landed and nuked cars in car park opposite thermal spa this morning. Photos to follow sometime.

Apartment owner kindly offered us his home down valley but chose Gavs favourite 'Parisian' bar/ hotel in Cauteret for next 2 days or so piste skiing.

Apart from being onesy capital of world see link as snowiest resort in the world at moment.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/1076-snowiest-spot-in-the-world/

And quiet as all weekenders already left.

Also even managed to watch the England game..ha!

Normal quiet vacation... in the non snowy Pyrenees!!

Tim
snow report
what has this got to do with next season in La Grave? Puzzled
snow conditions
red 27, because over the Alps and the Pyrenees it's turning out to be a rather good season (so far), and if you bothered to read the OP it is about this season and not next, plus I've just returned from Pyrenees, and the village where I was has indeed been evacuated, see Pyrenees thread in snow reports, and hopefully I'll be reporting the same from LG & Serre when I'm out for four/five/six weeks (tbc) kicking off second week March, so a polite two fingers to you Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam,

Quote:
I'll be reporting the same from LG & Serre when I'm out for four/five/six weeks (tbc) kicking off second week March, so a polite two fingers to you Smile

Boasting about / lying about / boring us with your oh-so-long trips is ridiculous and pitiful.

and fack you too " Smile "
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy