Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sexy ski but too much for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
bucking bronco,

two comments on powder performance
1. Atomic 9.22/R9 are very good powder skis (its where they are best) so no complaints about the Stocklis
2. I tend to ski powder in the old zip-line style rather than big GS style turns (I like to make the most of the powder not zoom over it in a flash!). I think really big, fat skis are good for the latter but rather take the fun out of the former* (you don't get that up and down sensation as you build a platform/load up the tails and then set them free). Consequently I'm not the best judge of "Big Mountain" skis.
* I skied some Bandit XXX on a day's heliskiing, they were OOK but I'd have prefered my Atomics

Jed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny, hand flexing skis is like tyre-kicking.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

snowbunny, hand flexing skis is like tyre-kicking

Thank you, all becomes clear now Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, funny you should have said that .... I was just about to pose the question "but would standing in a shop hand flexing a ski not be akin to tyre kicking??? ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Adam Holt, Someone needed to say it, but it may spark off a whole new debate about the age old practice rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think I would be able to say which of two tyres has a higher pressure by kicking them, but I can tell which of two skis is stiffer by flexing them with my hands. I make no claim whether this is a useful guide when buying skis. Neither do I know how sensitive a technique this is (eg could I distinguish between two skis which were the same model). But it is easy to distinguish skis with different longitudinal stiffness by flexing them with your hands (I've just done it with a pair of Rossi 9X WC and an older pair of Rossi 9X).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
I don't think I would be able to say which of two tyres has a higher pressure by kicking them, but I can tell which of two skis is stiffer by flexing them with my hands.

Neither can you tell how well a car will perform by kicking the tyres.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Neither can you tell how well a car will perform by kicking the tyres.

Are you saying that ski stiffness is not one of the factors that you consider when choosing a ski?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its an indiacator like everything else, some might be able to get more from flexing them in the shop than others, and some don't care. In the case of Stocklis which are hand made and accept tolerances within the same models - and don't hide this fact - I would think I would prefer a stiffer model than a softer model. But my reference would be to ski it and then test another and know which one I preferred. As the shop in question has racks and racks of the same models this is a fair and reasonable way to demo a ski if you can be bothered enough. And from the banter on this forum a lot of people sound like they would be bothered enough if other threads are anything to go by.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
Its an indiacator like everything else

I agree, and probably not a major one. IMO the tyre-kicking analogy is not relevant as that truly is a pointless activity.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

IMO the tyre-kicking analogy is not relevant as that truly is a pointless activity.

Not if the tyre being kicked then goes flat wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
the tyre-kicking analogy is not relevant as that truly is a pointless activity.

If Kimi had done that a couple of times, he might be world champion Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

do you really mean you've skiied thigh deep powder?

Quote:

I wouldn't say it was 'powder' but i have been through waist deep snow

In that case, what is the general definition of powder? I understand it to mean soft snow, in which case I have skiied in thigh deep (once, in Fernie), but generally ski up to boot-deep.

jedster, thanks for your comments, very helpful.

Quote:

I'm more experienced than you and guess I ski at a somewhat higher level - been skiing for 20 years, worked a season

Yes, I think it is fair to say you're a higher level than me! I have my sensible head on now and think the XL's are probably a little too much for me at this stage. Anyway, having demo'ed the Hot Rod Nitrous, I am quite taken with it and come next pay day I do believe I will be the proud owner of a pair Toofy Grin

Quote:

Before you buy the Nitrous see if EB's can get you a Top Fuel to demo

spyderjon, I understand that the Top Fuel is stiffer, having 2 more sheets of metal in it. I found the Nitrous to be already stiff and very stable so I think an even stiffer Top Fuel will probably be less lively in bumps Puzzled (which I love and go looking for - hence Winter Park for honeymoon Very Happy )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
conor, Wouldn't the Top Fuel's additional stiffness (especially in the tail) & rebound make it more lively in the bumps - a real kick in the a$$ if you get in the backseat at all.

I'd still recommend trying the M11 but with EB's no longer stocking them (unless they still have a demo at MK) getting hold of a pair to try at MK would be a problem. I could let you have the Atomic UK rep's number if you want to try. The fact that you've tested & like the Nitrous then I think you just might as well just slap your money down.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The fact that you've tested & like the Nitrous then I think you just might as well just slap your money down.

spyderjon, I concur, especially as I get the 10% SCGB discount at EB! I am curious to know how much different/better the Top Fuel will be. Everyone raves about it on Epic but the Nitrous is going largely unnoticed over there it seems (as is the Eliminator). I've tried to find UK stockists of the Top Fuel to no avail and am keen to know how much more expensive it is over here??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy