Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift ads?

Poster: A snowHead
Hope they never get around to this in Europe.

http://www.skimag.com/skimag/features/article/0,12795,592826,00.html

OK the map is a good idea, but having to stare at an ad for Big Macs or something for 15 mins on a slow chair, windy day.... if you suffer from vertigo, it's enough to make anyone feel a bit off-colour....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is already common in Europe. In Swtzerland most lift pylons have billboards on them. In France, in some stations there's already ad's on the lifts, in St Gervais/Megeve they have ad's for Easyjet on the safety bars. And in Austria there's ad's as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just shows how observant I am! Have seen the pylon billboards occasionally, but don't recall any on the lifts themselves.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've no idea how widespread it is, I've seen it though, in fact more than once but I just can't place where else.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best to look at the scenery. That will annoy the advertisers.

Personally I've no objection to pylon manufacturers advertising themselves on pylons, but junk food is something I'd rather not be reminded about while trying to feel fit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
pylon manufacturers advertising themselves on pylons

D G, I'm sure they'd do a roaring trade.... Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it was last year or possibly the year before that one advertiser did a series of pics going up the lift pylons that I can recall being quite funny and skier related I think it was for accident insurance or similar, I can live with those as they're not very large and I'm prepared to put up with adverts that do a soft sell in a funny manner, don't know about the adverts on safety bars though
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems a good idea to me. If those against the idea really want to feel at one with the great outdoors they should walk up, dirty great lift systems detract more than a few ad's.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think there should be TV's on the chairlifts showing adverts, just like the ones in the toilets in my local pub.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My view is that lifts, lift stations et al should be used to host a safety campaign - akin to the road safety ones we have over here - publicising the 'rules of the piste' so that nobody can be in any doubt as to what they are. I am completely puzzled as to why there don't seem to be any such regional schemes in the Alps, pushing the safety message, ensuring leaflets are going into every hotel room, chalet and apartment, requiring each and every ski school and rep/guide to press home the same message. Somebody tell me - surely there's a public body in each region responsible for this? Or have I just created myself a job? Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The pylons on some lifts at Les Arcs are used for just that purpose. The 10 FIS piste safety rules feature, albeit in French (understandably)....

There are piste safety leaflets available from all French resort tourist offices - in French and English. They are not distributed however in any organised fashion, as far as I know, to hotels etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It would not be a bad idea given the number of accidents each year that might be avoided to make the saftey rules available in any ski hotel/chalet of course how many people would either carry on ignoring them or read and forget them is another matter Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG wrote:

OK the map is a good idea, but having to stare at an ad for Big Macs or something for 15 mins
PG, why are you staring at the advert? I would be looking at the map or the passing scenery.
I think this idea is a good one, and am surprised at the objections being voiced. We are well used to adverts all over the place. Websites are financed by them, they are all round the football stadium and all over David Bechham's shirt, they are on the underground as I go into work, they keep interupting movies on the telly. And I've just looked at my collection of piste maps (next to my collection of lift passes - sad, or what) and they all have adverts on them.
Piste map on the lift might prevent maps, gloves, poles being dropped, and certainly stop my finger freezing as I struggle with a paper map in the wind. So, yes please, advert or no.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not the ones on the pylons, but if there's a dirty great one the safety bar on the chair, it might be a little difficult to miss! (I think that was the idea in the original article, which mentioned a map close enough to read on the way up, so they're not talking about ads on the back of the chair in front)....

Really depends on size/position in the end (doesn't it always.... Wink )
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, the picture shows a large map in the centre, I can't actully see any adverts, but maybe they are in the 2 end panels. Certainly not "a dirty great one" as you suggest.
From your last post I wonder if you managed to get the picture (?).
latest report
Jonpim, it hadn't loaded when I scrolled down and read the article.... have just seen it ... that looks rather useful in fact. Nor can I see any ads, but the map is a very sensible idea...
latest report
Quote:

My view is that lifts, lift stations et al should be used to host a safety campaign

Quote:

The pylons on some lifts at Les Arcs are used for just that purpose

And not surpringly, as part of Paradiski, the safety posters are also on pylons in La Plagne. Nice cartoon style images which get the message across even if the text is in French. A couple made me chuckle Cool
latest report
kuwait_ian, Some of the oldies were great.... I particularly liked this one..

STANDING AROUND
snow report
Yeah PG - one of the goodies. TVM.
I had a lovely French postcard once in similar style of a surprised looking guy who had been dragged right round the wheel at the end of a drag lift - through a huge snow bank. Leaving a lovely skier-shaped tunnel.
snow report
BTW people - while trying to find more cartoonies on PG's link, I tried knocking off the end of the URL. That takes you to a fine web site which supports snowHeads.
Have a look if you are thinking of going to France for your next snowsports holiday.
( PG - my usual commission for the plug, please )
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, Hop on a plane back to France this weekend, the studio's free! Wink
ski holidays
PG - unfortunately I head for Tokyo on Sunday. Sod's Law strikes again!!! Crying or Very sad
latest report
markP wrote:
I think there should be TV's on the chairlifts showing adverts, just like the ones in the toilets in my local pub.

You have chairlifts in your local pub?? Cool!
snow conditions
It's the new disabled access legislation kicking in. Very Happy
snow conditions
masopa wrote:
markP wrote:

You have chairlifts in your local pub?? Cool!

<sigh>
latest report
They would have up upgrade all of the chairlifts to at least 6 seaters to fit all of the maps of the 3 valleys on a safety bar! Smile (sorry im still on a high!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy