Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for Les Arcs 1800

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looks like our group is going there 2nd-9th Feb 2013 (just before half terms I think/hope... I didn't pick the dates though).

Deals we're currently looking at are about £350 for accomodation/lift pass/hire in self catered apartments. I was thinking we might be able to get a catered chalet for not toooo much more, say an additional £100-£150 (which could work out cheaper overall, particularly if wine is included Very Happy ), particularly as we will be a reasonable sized group (8 went last year and we've got at least 10 definitely in this year, looking more like 14-16 in practice).

Anyone got any thoughts or potential options?

I know how to use Google but figured some people on here might have some worthwhile information too Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bobmcstuff, Sounds good as it's including lift pass and hire. But no flights I understand?

I haven't booked with TO for a while now, but looked at 3V last winter. I would guess if you are lucky with late deals
you might find CATERED chalet deal with flights in £400-450 bracket (no lift pass)
or self catering with flights for around £300+ (no lift pass again).

Would like to know as well if one can get more for the money.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 13-08-12 11:20; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not much in the way of catered chalets in Arc 1800. It's mostly self catering apartments and hotels. There's a bigger choice of chalet accommodation in Vallandry.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tom W, yeah not including flights.

Last year I paid £279 for accom/lift pass in Val Thorens (I don't need hire), £149 for flights and 50€ for transfers (altibus, was totally balls, looking to avoid in future), so this is looking comparable. Ski train down is going to be a bit more than the flights I got last year, but funicular from B-s-M is apparently included in lift pass so no need for transfers...

It's just last year we spent quite a bit on food etc. so if we could get food included for ~£100 or so more it would work out better and certainly more convenient. Plus our apartment was pretty pokey (not a particularly big deal for a group of lads, but nicer is always better).

Is 1800 pretty lively? I worked over in La Plagne the other year, only skiied in Les Arcs a few days though so didn't get a chance to have a proper look. Plus I can't really remember which LA resort was which.

Late deals are probably out of the question as it'd be a bit difficult with a group. Wouldn't mind myself but you know what people are like.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobmcstuff wrote:
Is 1800 pretty lively?
It's the most lively of all the Arc villages. Good choice of bars, couple of nightclubs, usually live music. But it's not a massive party town in the way that some resorts are.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bobmcstuff, I looked at the trains last week and the night direct you could get for around £160, but I only checked January dates.

If you opt for the night train you could get extra 2 days on the slopes but it is very tiring.
Not the train as such but all the fuss with bags etc, as you can not check in early or late on Saturdays. Day train will be relaxing and it is quicker as well.

I have to say that if you opt for chalet deal they are much, much better to book with included flights. They won't give you much off if you won't take the flight. (at least on most last minute deals I looked at last year).

If you book the train/flight you probably find more self catering deals than chalets deals without flights on offer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom W, The plan is to get the night train back so we get an extra day on the slopes at the end, but to get a day train out for convenience. Works for me as I need to get down to London. I've been told it's £159 at the moment, plus a return train from Manchester which will be just over £50 for me, maybe less if I book well in advance (joys of young person's railcard).

rob@rar, cool that'll be easily enough for me. A few of the guys might disagree, but I'm more interested in the skiing tbh. Looking forward to doing Les Arcs properly, the few days I have been there it seemed pretty good - more tree lined runs than La Plagne which should make a nice change from Val Thorens last year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy