Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with Monarch - any experience of flexing their classification of hold/sports bags?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at Monarch flights to get to the S9BB. They have a nice clear pricing and weight policy re bags:

1 Hold bag, up to 20kg = £11.99
1 Sports equip (if skis then limit of 13kg) = £19.99

I have 1 large coffin-style wheeled ski bag which can take my skis, boots clothes etc. I could keep it to 20kg, but not to 13kg.
They don't seem to have any dimension limits to the "hold bag". I'm not being cheap, I'd happily buy both allowances, I just would like the convenience of taking this 1 bag. (Something that easyjet's policy is perfect for, but they don't fly this route!)

So has anybody tried taking a large "hold bag" (that is within the weight limit, but happens to contain skis) on a Monarch flight?

Hope that makes sense, thanks

p.s. will also email Monarch's customer services and post any answer on here for posterity

p.p.s another thread on here seems to suggest very variable allowances in practice depending on airport and if scheduled or charter: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1488119&highlight=monarch#1488119
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like they allow you to take a single bag of up to 32 kg - if you pay a bit more.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ayrshire Andy, any chance you could give me a link to where it says that? Easyjet pretty much does that, but I didn't see anything similar on Monarch.
Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That 32kg maximum limit is on the basis of you paying £10 per 3kilos - so a 32kg bag will cost you £52 all in.
If you are travelling with someone you can pool your allowance though so 2 people get 40kg between them
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tip-off. I have to confess I hadn't clicked on the excess baggage details as I presumed it would be extortionate Embarassed but it's not too bad.
It says the first extra 3kg are £10, but after that it is £7.50 per kg (up to a max of 32kg).

So hold bag allowance, 20kg = £11.99
1st extra 3kg = £10
Each 1kg after that is another £7.50

So a 25kg bag would be £36.99 each way. Which is reasonable.

Will put this to their customer service email address before booking as I'd like it on paper that they'd accept the big ski coffin bag as a "hold" bag, and not as a "ski" bag.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I like 2 bags, approx equal at 16kg, one holding skis.. OK on EZY to mix the weights as long as total is not exceeded.
I have emailed Monarch on this topic to ask if they will allow the same flexibility within the permitted total weight.
Will advise their reply.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have today (after 18 days ) received an email from Monarch stating that Hold Allowance (basic20Kg) and Skibag Allowance (13Kg) cannot be shared. To purchase more weight for Sports Equipment can only be done at the Airport on the day of departure. ( we might guess this won't be cheap ! )

How Absolutely stupid.

EZY can do it and I have told Monarch they will look unattractive when there is a choice to be made.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Farley Goode, I'm still waiting on a reply from Monarch! I guess I'll have to phone them soon.

To purchase more weight for sports equipment it's the same as for hold luggage (1st extra 3kg = £10 Each 1kg after that is another £7.50 )

At they moment they have a free-ski-carriage offer on, which would be a cheap solution for me if only I already owned a lightweight ski bag! (My current set-up is easyjet style everything in 1 bag 25kg coffin case.)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Farley Goode wrote:
I like 2 bags, approx equal at 16kg, one holding skis.. OK on EZY to mix the weights as long as total is not exceeded.
I have emailed Monarch on this topic to ask if they will allow the same flexibility within the permitted total weight.
Will advise their reply.

The free ski carriage deal would suit you though. You'd only have to pay the £10 excess for the 16kg ski bag. (Standard ski bag allowance is 13kg)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wigan, Damn. Typed out a reply and it all went.
Anyway, I didn't know about the free ski offer....must book up straight away. Thanks.
I have had a very pleasant correspondence with them but ....no change. You can't divide the overall weight in a manner which suits you---it has to be 12kg max for the skis bit. And you can't call a coffin bag a normal baggage---if it's got skis in then it's a ski bag and presumably has to be 12kg max. All to do with differing insurers, apparently.

They have promised to pass my queries up the line and I just wonder if the "free skis" offer is a stop-gap while they sort out a sensible policy. If they are new to ski travel they may not have seen a coffin before !.

Anyway, must book Verona ....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wigan, Where did you see about thos free skis ?? . Can't see anything on the website .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.monarch.co.uk/ski
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitenski. I think its if you book before the end of December. We booked for Friedrichshafen over Xmas and got free ski carriage. I am a bit anoyed as it looks like we'll have rethink our packing as we have 'a coffin'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked my flight to the Birthday Bash with Monarch yesterday. There was no charge for the skis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Booked my flight to the Birthday Bash with Monarch yesterday. There was no charge for the skis.
ski holidays
Farley Goode wrote:

I have had a very pleasant correspondence with them but ....no change. You can't divide the overall weight in a manner which suits you---it has to be 12kg max for the skis bit. And you can't call a coffin bag a normal baggage---if it's got skis in then it's a ski bag and presumably has to be 12kg max. All to do with differing insurers, apparently.

Thanks for the info Farley Goode! I've still not had a reply, but sounds like it's not worth waiting for now. Back to the drawing board to work out which is the lesser evil of change bag, change airline, or pay massive excess. Ho hum!
snow conditions
Ah Monarch. The only airline I would literally never book with ever again. Last time they had to fly an engineer over (on a perfectly functioning, dead-on time Easyjet flight) in order to deliver a spare part to fix our broken grounded plane. 13 hours after it should have taken off.

The spare part being - apparently - a component of the flight computer, which had utterly failed. Confidence inspiring!
ski holidays
I've corresponded with Monarch via Twitter, same day response.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy