Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to join FIS races

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

Right, basically, I'm interested in taking part in alpine races with the FIS. I understand that most entries to these races are done through Teambss so I've taken a look at their website which was of very little help of all, though from what I have gathered, to take part in FIS races through Teambss, you need to be part of one of their teams, which I am not and at the moment, I don't have the inclination to join up either especially as their site doesn't actually say what I'd be signing up for.

I've also taken a look on the FIS site which seems to have alot of information for the national associations, but little information for "hooby racers" like me. It's rather like there's information being hidden from people on the outside...

Anyway, what I'd like to know is:

* How do you enter FIS races?
* How much would it likely cost for me to appear at an european based race?
* Where is the list of races? (I've seen the Euro-cup and World-cup lists on the FIS site so are these the races? Or are these the "pro-only" races?)

Yes, I know, I'd be racing against people many times my ability but as there is technically no minimum standard, provided you're okay with finishing last (which I am) then it'll be an experience. And besides, if I expect to be last, I can only really meet expectations or get pleasantly surprised.

Thank you!
Jack.

Here's some background info. about my motives to keep potential flamers at bay...

I'm 19, started off as a holiday hobby skier about eight years ago, took a liking for the speed, got on the skis again about for some "real training" 22 months ago and took to them like a bird to the sky. I am now a slalom racer, with near perfect mm precision that even my coach simply can't understand as I've only been skiing 22 months. (Sorry if this is sounding kinda arrogant, his words not mine). Should probably add I was a well time gymnast in my years in between so precision is everything. The one thing that I can't seem to get the hang of, almost ironically, is speed.

So my coach has suggested entering myself into races so that I can "scale myself up" against the pros and get some inspiration. Essentially a kick up the back for me as it was a random race with the pros that first got my coach into higher level racing. Yes, I'm starting with the smaller national races (Manchester in September) but my coach has strongly suggested I try out a continental-level race, just for the experience of competing alongside the pros. Probably with the mantra "It could be you one day."

All the best!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ellguard, You could start looking here. If you are just starting out then you will only be allowed to get a limited licence, this lets you take part in British organized FIS races as well as Citizen ones run by other countries.

All FIS races are shown on the FIS website, the higher level ones are planned out a long time in advance, the rest of the calendar will be finalized at a meeting in the autumn. There are a fair number of Citizen races already listed here but the calendar can change a bit during the winter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ellguard,

What races have you already done? There are plenty of races to cut your teeth on before you start FIS racing. Who is your coach? Whereabouts are you, someone may be able to point you towards someone can help.

PS Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some more thoughts...

The information on starting to race isn't hidden away but you would normally be advised what to do by your coach, it isn't recommended to just go to races by yourself. If your current coach hasn't worked at this level then I would expect them to know other coaches who do. There will be plenty of coaches who take groups to FIS races at Chill Factore next month.

I would have a think about when during the winter you are available as different groups will each have their own plans.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
FIS races at Chill Factore next month.

Are you sure about that? I understood that Langraff in Holland was on the only indoor slope homologated for FIS races. To which races are you referring?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, Try reading it again. There are races at CFe next month, the OP wrote that he was going to them, there will be various coaches at those races who also go to FIS ones.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the pointers and warm welcome guys! Much appreciated xd

I'm technically based just outside hereford (you know. .. the city that got stuck in the 90s) but move around quite a lot.

Rob, excluding race camp races I've never competitively raced before, macgrster will be my first. And quite right, chill factore is only a local race not fis affiliated. Probably a good networking opportunity to so I'll keep my eyes open ^_^
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, Yes I misread it Happy I seem to have put a "the" in front of "FIS races" Happy

ellguard, Plenty of chances to try races near(ish) you at Gloucester and Pontypool. If you do well, I'm sure you can make yourself know to the organisers and they'll point you in an appropriate directions.

Checkout http://www.britski.org for the latest races.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again Rob, ill be sure to check them out Wink

I kinda have the feeling in asking my question completely the wrong way though so. ..

I suppose what I'm trying to say in my (almost stupidly long) post is that I don't want to be a pro racer so I don't want to join a club and work my way up to a team and then work my way up from a national racer to an international one. .. I'd quite like to compete in a race (knowinv I stand no chance) just for the experience of having some it. Just for the thrill if you like. A curiosity if it's realistic (and a fantasy if it's not).

I know this is a specific question and you're not really going to know for sure unless you're fis involved, so can anyone say it's downright impossible.

Thanks.

Ps rjs, I'm not a man Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ellguard, Joining a club just lets you share costs with other people. Most people racing at that level are just doing it for fun, that is why I do it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ellguard

Speak to me(race secretary) when you go to Manchester - the indoor champs are being organised by Wales this year, and we also run a series of BASS & FIS races in Champery in January. A couple of years ago we had entries from some students from Bangor Uni who had never done any races other than Uni races, and they seemed to enjoy the experience so much that at least one that I know of was still working and racing out in the Alps a year later.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy