Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding maintenance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last season, I started to maintain my own skis - edges, wax, base repair so far, all of which seems to have a huge amount of online material and tutorials to help get the basics and beyond.

However, the one thing I'm really struggling to find out about is what I should be doing for my bindings. Are there any kind of routine checks I should be carrying out? Do I need to check tension in the springs? Is there any kind of lubrication I should be applying to them? And anything I should do for storing them over the off-season?

Apologies if there's anything elsewhere on the forum that covers this, I've had a fair root around and can't find anything - all advice much appreciated!

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skififer, welcome to snowheads.
Hopefully someone more expert than me will be along.

I don't really do any active maintenance on my bindings. What I do do is keep an eye on them, clean them, make sure there is nothing coming loose, I check the forward presure and din settings, make sure the boot isn't loose in the binding and all the screws are tight. I know for the summer some hire shops slacken off the tension on the springs but I don't.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skififer, How much use do your bindings get (i.e. how many weeks skiing to you do each year)? Who originally set up the bindings?

As long as you don't fiddle with the settings (long story!!) and don't get un-expected releases, then for the vast majority of recreational skiers bindings don't need to any routine maintenance, but jbob's suggetions are good if you feel the need.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies, all. RobW, I usually ski somewhere around 4-5 weeks a year between Scotland and France. All of my bindings were fitted / set up in ski shops initially, and I'm fine with DIN settings etc., it was more whether I should be doing anything to keep the bindings in good shape.

The thing that set me thinking about this was after I skied Les Deux Alpes a couple of weeks ago, and my skis ended up with a fair bit of mud and grit caked onto them, including the bindings. I washed them out thoroughly, and that set me thinking whether I should be doing anything to lube them afterwards - one of the ski shops I used in Edinburgh years ago used to put grease around various parts of the bindings as part of a full service. Having looked around the web though, I can't see any suggestion that this is something I should be doing.

Jbob, your point about loosen ingthe tension on the springs, is that effectively turning down the DIN settings while the skis are in storage? Is this more worthwhile if you have a higher DIN setting? (most of mine are set around the 9-10 mark).

The other thing I should have mentioned was that on one of my sets of skis (coombacks) have barons fitted. Is there anything specific to AT bindings (other than looking for grit etc around the pivot point) that I should be aware of?

Cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy