Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia: opinions on the red runs and transfer

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

A long time since my last post. Hope everyone's had a less chilly summer than I have. Very Happy

So, it's time to plan the skiing holiday for the coming winter. I'm thinking that Cervinia could be a good place for my family, since it's usually top-rated for beginning skiers. However, lots of the pistes seem to be red. How would these compare with red runs in eg. Austria? My five-year old son is getting braver and braver, so I'm sure he'll be fine. My 8-year old daughter, OTOH may be a little nervous in reds, although she has more experience in the slopes. However, if they're easy enough, they should be a good confidence-building experience.

Any thought on transfers from Milan Malpensa? I'm prepared to get a taxi for the family. Any idea on how much that should set me back?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
taxi prices here http://www.cerviniataxiservices.com €58 per person, per way = €464 total for 4

Google will come up with lots of options you can compare
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied cervinia, from the top end when popping over from zermatt, the reds up there are wide and cruisey, not too steep and level out before each drop so can be skied in short sections if you want to. I didn't go down too far, stayed up high, but I loved the slopes there, they really build confidence. Hope this helps! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiingDad, It's a good while since i was there - read mid nineties - but IIRC the reds there would be french blues, wide, cruisey and not too steep. Some areas get moguls, but mainly very well and smoothly pisted. The runs are generally pretty long, which I thought was great.

One or two stand out in my mind - Centina ( from the top of the hill down to skiers left of village) and the run down to Valtourneche which is, I think, the longest red run in Europe (?) -certainly the longest I can remember skiing anyway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with the general gist. I've been for a couple of weekends and also over from Zermatt. Good long cruisey runs with nothing too serious and moguls very much absent. Meals on the mtn were also good, reasonable price and healthy options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to Cervinia for last 3 years. First trip there was my first ski holiday and had never done a red before then but managed fine!

there are really nice reds to boost confidence if you take the 3 chairs up from plain Maison and ski down to the left of the lifts (as you look at piste map) all the way back to town. Also lots of cruisey reds and blues at salette.

Valtourneche run is great- any steeper bits are short lived and v wide- did this a few times this year and found it quietest and most enjoyable first thing

I think you can get a bus back from Valtourneche if you didn't want to ski back

Hope this helps!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
in general the Italians grade their runs 'higher' than other countries. As has been said - an Italian red would be a 'strong' French blue.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Red runs are generally easy in Cervinia, they would quite possibly be blue elsewhere. And then when you get over to the Zermatt side you get some real red runs which the Italians would proudly call a black. Cervinia is a great place for intermediates, lots of well groomed cruising but not much to challenge the more adventurous.

I don't know about the transfer as I flew into Turin which is about an hour and a half by coach.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the great responses, everyone! Sounds like Cervinia is really the place to take my family next. From what I've read, I had the feeling that I could read between th lines that the reds are quite doable for kids with some experience, but I really needed some confirmation on this. Combined with the Italian food, it should be the ideal destination for our next holiday.

The taxi sounds a bit expensive. Any experiences from other transfer options? As I said, Malpensa seems the best option for the airport, but Geneva and Turin aren't out of the question yet.

Again: thanks for the responses!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cervinia is very confidence inspiring, my nervous intermediate skiier girlfriend loved the place. Beware, it does get a reputation for being quite windy. We had a few days with reduced lift service due to high winds.

cant you just hire a car for a week?? It'll be about half the price of that taxi.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with mckeann, . It makes more sense to hire!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As above none of the pistes in Cervinia seem particularly challenging (with exception of the icy shaded black lookers left of the lift system) - some of the runs down to town are of course long and could be energy sapping and/or vulnerable to variable snow. . Rent a car for the week for transfer - easy drive on motorway most of the way from Malpensa?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmmm, either I can't google properly or my car requirements are set too high. Smile I'm thinking that with four people + skis, I want at least an estate. With chains and ski rack, the prices I'm getting are easily 500 euros. ...and I suppose winter tires are out of the question? Doesn't seem to be an option anywhere.

Another thing: any info on family-friendly hotels? I can't seem to find a hotel where this is mentioned and most rooms are apprently doubles, with the occasional single extra bed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiingDad, have you thought about a package?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, yes, I have, but the packages offered by Finnish TO's are veeery expensive, so DIY is the only option for Cervinia. I don't mind DIY, especially since I'm easily saving a thousand euros.
snow conditions
SkiingDad, Aha! I hadn't picked up you are in Finland. I guess booking a package from the UK with connecting flights from Finland would be prohibitive too
snow conditions
SkiingDad, Is this site any use?: http://www.cervinia.it/pages/COME_ARRIVARE_i_en/440?#ixMainSection

It says "From Châtillon, and also from Turin and Milan, there is a coach service to and from Breuil-Cervinia Valtournenche (info and timetables www.savda.it)."
snow report
What the...? I'm sure I posted a reply a couple of days ago...

Anyways, thanks for the ideas!

holidayloverxx, yep, it would be quite expensive and connecting flights would take a lot of time. But I really don't mind DIY. It just takes a little effort gathering info, which is what I'm doing currently. Smile

Alastair Pink, thanks for the link. Sure a coach would be doable, but it seems they're leaving from Milan center, mostly. Taxi seems easier still.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy