Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Single Skier seeks group- Shock horror!

Poster: A snowHead
I’m a 50+ yr old intermediate lady skier – husband no longer fancies skiing – and looking to find a group that is, hopefully, composed mainly of other single skiers probably mixed. Location-wise my personal preferences are anywhere other than France or Switzerland.

With no slur intended on any Snowheads, here, I am a little wary of joining in with a group just to make up the numbers, and after a dreadful experience last year definitely hesitant to repeat that performance in a hurry
SO is there anyone out there of a more mature nature currently or planning on organising a group?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Queenie004, welcome to snowHeads.
This might suit: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89098
There will be a very wide range of ages, including those "of a more mature nature."
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Queenie004 wrote:
I’m a 50+ yr old intermediate lady skier – husband no longer fancies skiing – and looking to find a group that is, hopefully, composed mainly of other single skiers probably mixed. Location-wise my personal preferences are anywhere other than France or Switzerland.

With no slur intended on any Snowheads, here, I am a little wary of joining in with a group just to make up the numbers, and after a dreadful experience last year definitely hesitant to repeat that performance in a hurry
SO is there anyone out there of a more mature nature currently or planning on organising a group?

Oh we definitely want that dirt dished here. I've no doubt there will be some specific opportunities for you but even if sHs bashes sound horrendous in reality there are a wide mix of age and ability.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Queenie004,

Welcome to snowheads!

There are plenty of groups and skiiers on here of a variety of different ages and I am sure that you will find something which will suit.

I don't know if it helps but we offer single rooms with no additional supplement at our Chalet Campanules - all the details are available via the tag line below - and many people travel alone and get to know each other in the chalet. But, it is in France in the Paradiski area.

If you are interested but want to travel on a week with other solo skiiers just ask and we can suggest some suitable dates.

Happy planning!
Heather
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Queenie004, you could also take a look @ Singlesports

http://www.singlesport.com/index.htm

I went on a trip with them back in March, and am also booked in again with them next year again. A lot of people on the trips are in a similar situation whereby their partners do not ski, but they would like to ski in the company of others.

Lots of people at all ages present with different skiing abilities, so it is mixed up quite well.

+1 for what fatbob said, tell us more about this experience!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello Queenie004 from another Queenie!

I'm a single skier in my 40s and I was faced with much the same dilemma as you a few years back. I hadn't been skiing for many years and I had no one to go with. I decided against 'singles' holidays in case they were trying to be 'hook-up' holidays and eventually just bit the bullet and booked myself a ski holiday with a major TO (not one where they lump 'inconvenient' singles together in shared rooms/apartments). I met some fantastic people and I have skied with them every season since then. I've also met some fantastic people through this website who I have enjoyed skiing with and hope to again in future. I think what I'm saying is don't be afraid to book yourself a ski holiday, you are destined to meet plenty of fabulous people to ski with. They generally aren't single (I've only ever met one other) but then in general very few people are single above a certain age, when it comes to skiing does status matter?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, You have met adn skied with more than one other skiing single, the interesting thing is that it's not always obvious who is or isn't so you didn't know - poeple rarely see my OH and I ski mostly with singles. As you say, it really doesn't matter
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, yes exactly. You put it much more eloquently than me... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Queenie004, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Another possibility is to go for a coaching holiday - there are a number of companies which do this, with intensive tuition for around 3 hours a day (and sometimes video feedback in the early evenings). Then hooking up for some afternoon skiing is not usually a problem.

Perhaps it would be easier to advise you if you said a bit more about what you want from a holiday and what stops you just booking as a single person (usually with some kind of supplement, unfortunately, though not always) into a catered chalet where you would meet people of all different standards?

I've booked two "single" trips next season - one in Tignes in October, with Inside Out skiing, another in Les Deux Alpes, in January, which is specifically an intro to off piste. One had a modest single supplement and the LdA trip has no single supplement, if booked early.

If you tell us a bit more about what you want, there is almost certainly something to suit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Queenie004, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Another possibility is to go for a coaching holiday - there are a number of companies which do this, with intensive tuition for around 3 hours a day (and sometimes video feedback in the early evenings). Then hooking up for some afternoon skiing is not usually a problem.

Perhaps it would be easier to advise you if you said a bit more about what you want from a holiday and what stops you just booking as a single person (usually with some kind of supplement, unfortunately, though not always) into a catered chalet where you would meet people of all different standards?

I've booked two "single" trips next season - one in Tignes in October, with Inside Out skiing, another in Les Deux Alpes, in January, which is specifically an intro to off piste. One had a modest single supplement and the LdA trip has no single supplement, if booked early.

If you tell us a bit more about what you want, there is almost certainly something to suit.
Snow and Sunshine, Thanks very much for your response. But without appearing 'negative' about France - I have skied there 12 times in the past 13 years mainly because of my husbands desire to keep his A level french in tact! I wanted to have a go at St Anton last year and only had 1 day before I was virtually booted out of the chalet, so thats unfinished business in my book...
I take on board your comments and I now have option 2!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
Queenie004, you could also take a look @ Singlesports

http://www.singlesport.com/index.htm

I went on a trip with them back in March, and am also booked in again with them next year again. A lot of people on the trips are in a similar situation whereby their partners do not ski, but they would like to ski in the company of others.

Lots of people at all ages present with different skiing abilities, so it is mixed up quite well.

+1 for what fatbob said, tell us more about this experience!

Thanks for that - given their schedule for 2013 , Kaprun seems to be the only option Id probably be interested in, so I'll keep it on the radar.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I was virtually booted out of the chalet

that sounds like a good story...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, you reckon? Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, I'd like to know more.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in a similar position a few years ago and went with major TOs. While the skiing was fine, I didn't tie up with any one to ski with.

Last season I found this site and the Birthday Bash in February. Great company, plenty of skiing buddies and as much apres ski as you won't or don't won't, just a couple of quiet beers a night for me.

I've signed up again for Feb 13, come and join us.

snowHead Madeye-Smiley snowHead
snow report
Quote:

But without appearing 'negative' about France - I have skied there 12 times in the past 13 years mainly because of my husbands desire to keep his A level french in tact!

Makes sense - hope you find somewhere that suits. Tell us more about
Quote:

only had 1 day before I was virtually booted out of the chalet

Sounds scary/intriguing/good dinner party story!!
snow conditions
Queenie004 wrote:

Queenie004
My mum-in-law was in exactly the same spot as you a couple of years ago but discovered a group of pensioners who run a number of ski trips during the winter and really had a great time with what promised to be a load of geriatrics but she was well surprised.
They were called APski they seem to be about 60 upwards but usually mostly 'single' and with nothing to prove type attitudes, which seems great, BUT I have done a quick search but they dont seem to have a website so I dont know if they are still doing the trips or now part of someone else. Hope that helps
CharlieG
latest report
Queenie
Ive just read CharlieG's comments and smiled.
I think his mother-in-law means ARPSKI - of which Im pleased to say im a member. Unlike CharlieGs assertion that we ARE all geriatrics, the age range starts at 50 , but to be fair the average is closer to 65, and I think we have skiers upto 85!
In fact we do have a web=page rather than a full on site , see http://www.arp050skiclub.co.uk/holidays.htm for planned trips to give you a flavour.
Have a look and dont hesitate to ask questions.
Thirsty
P.S. What DID happen in St Anton last year??
ski holidays
Thanks everyone!
First of all , to clear the 'dirt' |fat bob, pam w & snow& sunshine/ , its nothing worth alerting the Sun on Sunday .... last year me sharing a chalet with 7 strangers, they were all friends, average age 30 ADD some 59 yr old bag = join up the dots! it would be wicked to mention names - even though I suspect none involved would ever stumble across Snowheads!!
Thanks for the tips - the SingleSport option is much younger than I think I could cope with certainly after last year.
Queene Bodecia - I have exhausted the big travel outfits and really (now as a 60 year old rather than a 40 year old) dont want to take that much of a chance.
Charlie G pointed me towards the outfit that holds the most promise with "a load of geriatrics" and a holiday to Austria so thanks everyone.....Queenie
ski holidays
Have a great time Queenie004,
ski holidays
Hi Queenie,
if you haven't already booked yet, I'm a 50yr old female who would like to
ski possibly in Italy this year, looking to go around Feb 17th really fancy the dolomites area, I would be travelling from NI.
ski holidays
Hi Queenie
I'm organising a trip to Italy for the week of 6 Jan 2013. So far we have 4 women and 1 guy signed up with another possible interested and I'm waiting to hear back from another.
If you'd like the details email me at powderpuppy55@yahoo.co.uk, be happy to have you along. Was going to put a thread on Snowheads as well.

all the best
Penny
ski holidays
skiAnn wrote:
Hi Queenie,
if you haven't already booked yet, I'm a 50yr old female who would like to
ski possibly in Italy this year, looking to go around Feb 17th really fancy the dolomites area, I would be travelling from NI.

Under other circumstances Id very much like to ski in Italy but I am kind of committed to one of two Austrian trips - but thanks for the thought!
latest report
powderpuppy wrote:
Hi Queenie
I'm organising a trip to Italy for the week of 6 Jan 2013. So far we have 4 women and 1 guy signed up with another possible interested and I'm waiting to hear back from another.
If you'd like the details email me at powderpuppy55@yahoo.co.uk, be happy to have you along. Was going to put a thread on Snowheads as well.

all the best
Penny

Thanks for thinking of me, but I think Im likely to commit to a Austrian trip coincidentally the same week as yours! ...
snow report
Hi,

I've just read your post & wondered if you might be interested in joining me in either Chamonix or Avoriaz next year?
I realise you said not France or Switzerland, but you can also ski in Italy, & they are great places to ski.
I'm in a similar situation to you, my girlfriend doesn't want to go & my daughters can't, and I have no-one to go with, as none of my mates ski.
I'd just like a friend to ski with, nothing more.
Anyway, its just a thought, let me know if you might be interested.

Phil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy