Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen virgin, help required please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My Mum is 70 next year, she is still able to ski 2 or 3 weeks a year. She's also a life long, fanatical John Denver fan. So next year my sister and I would very much like to organise a surprise trip with our children to Aspen where there happens to be a JD memorial too. We plan to leave on the 1st April for 14 days, thats the only solid part of our plans.

So the help I need is in deciding where to stay, somthing thats pretty slopeside if possible as although my mum is fit she's become picky about hiking too far. A place with a pool would be great and despite this being a big trip something not too pricey (I'm well aware Aspen is swanky). Recommendations for live music in town would also be gratefully received. We've only been stateside once before last year to Breck and Winter Park, we totally fell for the US and can't wait to go back.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That time of year, you should be able to name your price. That's the good news. The not so good news is there're 4 disjointed mountains linked by buses so some amount of walking will be required regardless...

Slope-side lodging. I think Snowmass would be a better bet. If you stay at Snowmass "village" proper, it's a at most a VERY SHORT walk (it's a very compact i.e. tiny village). You may even be able to stay literally right next to the slope. It's the biggest and most varied of the Aspen cluster of mountains. You take the bus to go to Aspen when you want to, which also has more lively night life.

You can also stay at Aspen village. But you have to look very carefully WHERE in the village the lodging is located, because it's very spread out. On the other hand, there's a village bus going round and round quite frequently so it shouldn't be too much of a walk. (In April, you don't have to worry about getting cold waiting for the bus anyway) Aspen mountain is smaller and caters more to advance skiers.

Aspen Highland is the third mountain which has some of the most radical skiing. It has no on-slope lodging.

No sure if the more beginer oriented mountain of Butternut will still be open in April. Might be snow dependent. I've not ski that one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buttermilk is the bus hub for going to all 4 unlinked resorts of Aspen as it lies on the main road thus snow may be less sure at the beginning of April.

Snowmass would be a good bet. Just hop into a bus to Buttermilk and there get the bus to Aspen Highland or Aspen Mountain. The buses, like every resort in Colorado, usually take the clients directly to the chairlift stations.

Couldn't vouch for the accommodation as I stayed off the resort and drove there everyday to cut down the accommodation cost.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From memory there's only a couple of hotels that are genuinely slopeside in Aspen (Ajax mountain), and looking at this http://aspenfun.net/sitebuilder/images/aspen_map_website_2_2_-1250x739.jpg it would be the Little Nell Hotel and the St Regis. It's a few years since I went so I've no idea of prices but I'm sure you can find them on the internet.

That week is very late season for them (it's the same time I went) and it'll be quiet so you should get a deal. If you stay elsewhere in the town there is a regular free (or with the lift pass) ski bus so it's no big deal. Snowmass is fantastic for skiing (much more varied than Ajax) but the village just isn't Aspen.... for a special experience you should stay in Aspen. There are several cowboy bars but I can't remember who had live music. There is live apres ski at Aspen Highlands every day - you can ski/drink there and take the bus back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty, The little nell is a wonderful hotel , with ski valet , pool , and nice après bar , but is in the $$$$ bracket, they do offer some good late season deals though.aspen is a great place for the more mature skier , with mountain ambassadors to show you round and they have lots of oldies ski clubs skiing on Ajax mountain .

The john denver memorial in an interesting place to find in the trees.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carbon_copy, Raceplate, saikee, abc, Thanks, really appreciate the advice, I'll send Little Nell an email and do some more Googling, thanks again
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote from the Little Nell web site, now THATS a lunch

NELL HELI-SUITE MONTAGNA PACKAGE

The Nell Heli-Ski Package Montagna Package offers an exquisite dining option to follow a life-changing day of heli-skiing, in addition to a stay in our renown Pfeiffer Suite. The truly special dining experience at Montagna is paired with world class wines, including 2002 Marc Colin "Le Montrachet" and 1985 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti "Richebourg." The Nell Heli-Suite Montagna Package starts at $45,000. Call 1-888-843-6355 to book this package.

The suite even has a fax machine, how cute ! Seriously it looks really nice, just not sure I can run to this. I've sent an email to enquire about a more mortal room deal. quite excited now
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robert@chaletsrsvp.com
this is an email i have from a guy who runs a couple of chalets in aspen. very friendly,the usual American hospitality and was reasonable.
Buttermilk is a good for a day and is easy for all the family. more of a cruiser mountain, and is home to or was home to the x games. the rollers and jumps were/ are huge ! Ajax is bump city and is the mountain in Aspen. Apple strudel at one stop was fantastic, and there is the lively ruthies bar. Aspen Highlands is famed for Highlands Bowl, accessible by cattrack if you want to take it and a hike, and quite possibly has the best ticket office in the world. Snowmass has the most extensive skiing and the highest runs. there is serious inbound off piste to be had. there is tree (?) skiing at 10,000 ft here as well ! Live music in Aspen at the famous Belly up bar. Aspen is not all $$$. You can do it as cheap or as expensive as you like. Free hosting, free sunscreen, free hot cider, free coffee shots.
Glenwood springs down the valley is worth a stop.
Be warned ....Acclimatisation should be allowed for. You'll have a fantastic time.
also look into getting a flight into Aspen from Denver.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
limegreen1, Thanks, email sent. We found the altitude pretty tough last year in Breck for 4 days, got puffed out on the way to the fridge. I can see Aspen is a similar altitude.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for flying into aspen via o'hare or Denver
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.amazon.com/Neal-Beidleman/e/B001JS4LH0?tag=amz07b-21
This is a great book to get. Fits in your pocket etc ...
One other mention is the cat skiing. If its fully booked for the days they expect a storm to blow over, ask to be put on the reserve list as if the weather is not "perfect" they will get "jet set" no shows and you'll get a cracking deal and some of the best of your days.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carbon_copy wrote:
+1 for flying into aspen via o'hare or Denver

Chicago (O'hare) over Denver.

The planes they use going from Denver to Aspen is a tiny little thing. They got diverted or canceled on the slightest wind, which Aspen has plenty of. The plane from Chicago is a good size jet that can handle bad weather much better.

I was at Aspen airport for several hours with a storm approaching, waiting to fly out to Denver on one of those itsy-bitsy planes that never arrived. (ended up DRIVING to Denver, sharing a car with fellow stranded passengers)

In the mean time, the 2 jets from SF and Chicago both landed and took off with their full load of passengers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy