Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What new stuff are you going to be riding on or in this season and why?

Poster: A snowHead
Okay so I'm bored, injured and waiting for it to snow again. It's also coming up to the time that new shiney kit is release so I'm indulging in working out what exciting things to buy or dream about this year. My obvious bent is Freeride/Touring/Ski Mountaineering:

Skis:

The Corvus 185 from Black Crows:
http://www.blackcrows-skis.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=333%3Acorvus-185&catid=4%3Aski-detail&Itemid=60&lang=en

Going to buy these to replace my beat up Black Diamond Verdicts which I'll keep as a rock/low-tide ski. As with the Verdicts I'll stick Dynafits on them (probably the Radical). Why? Iceland like Scotland benefits from a traditional camber ski for 90% of the days, snow and terrain you end up skiing. The Corvus looks like a slightly wider and longer Verdict, at least on paper. These will probably be skied the most.

I'll also be skiing a pair of last years 190 Whitedot Redeemers I picked up at the Coe Cup but living in Iceland haven't had a chance to get mounted yet. Probably going to stick something along the lines of Dukes or Guardians on them and mostly use them for short skinning and lifts on deep days.

Boots:

Not too sure at the moment but the Dynafit Vulcan is definitely a contender to replace my Garmont Radiums which as well as showing the amount of abuse I've given them are also lacking a bit in the tech specs department compared to the rather large changes that have happened in the past couple of seasons.

What's everyone else looking at?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PM Gear Bro 192 (Toofy Grin & bigup Spyderjon) , QK'd for Plum Guides and tele NTN Freerides (or possibly the new NTN Freedoms - probably worth the wait, but yet more £££ and book-cooking required to keep 'er indoors off the scent), with Scarpa Mobes for plums and Scarpa TX Comps for the NTN on the tootsies.

cos I'm worth it (and a milestone birfday not far off so reasonable rationale to get kitted out for that in style in advance)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some new ski boots that don't make my toes go purple and fall to bits...

P.S. I 'ride' my motorbike, I 'ski' on skis, the two are very different to me... Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got all my kit back in march, New Coreupt yards w pivots. Not got much else, been saving for this:
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I had any money I'd be getting some Wailer 99s with Dynafits. Unfortunately I don't have any money.

Need new boots, will be going Dynafit-compatible for when far in the future when I can afford the bindings too - also thinking about the Vulcan. Also need a transceiver, as I've somehow lost my current one Evil or Very Mad Will need to be on the cheap though

Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, I'm being inclusive. NehNeh
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
Also need a transceiver, as I've somehow lost my current one Evil or Very Mad Will need to be on the cheap though

Confused

might have a decent price on a DTS tracker or tracker II just need to work out how much they cost me and how little we can make on them
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999,
Quote:

Also need a transceiver, as I've somehow lost my current one

Oh the irony Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tiger2 wrote:
clarky999,
Quote:

Oh the irony Toofy Grin

Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, new pair of last years Prophet 98s mounted with Jesters, new arc'teryx jacket that I picked up for a steal in the EB sale tent at the weekend and I really need new boots. They'll probably be new Atomic Burner 130s... not too sure about the live-fit though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No new kit for me - I'm happy with my current gear!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skis! Don’t know which ones yet, but I keep looking at lots any time I’m bored NehNeh

I had a pair for season rental last year, as well as boots, with an option to buy - but by the end of the season they were too soft for me, so weren’t purchased. The boots were bought – I refused to give them back, they fit beautifully! So before xmas I shall be purchasing my very own (piste/all mountain) skis to go with them Smile (I’ll get a dedicated off-piste set later when I’m better)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mag1882, Bought a 550D a few weeks ago, its brilliant............. go for it. Went for the 135mm zoom, plus the standard lens, great kit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Likely - new boots, maybe Scarpa Maestrale RS - up to the bootfitter to decide but something in that vein
Maybe - a lighter 100 mm waist ski with Dynafits, to be used (obviously!) for touring.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I couldn't resist. I had to buy a pair of Wailer 99s (in vile SE mojito green) to go with the 112s. Means I have gear I need to sell so will take photos and post for SHs to get 1st refusal.

I needed new (expensive) skis like a hole in the head, but there we go. It's done now.

Also need to change my car so that I have enough space to fit all my gear and the two leggy hounds I'll be taking to the Alps - sadly, I think than means I have to buy a Volvo estate Puzzled
latest report
zammo wrote:
I couldn't resist. I had to buy a pair of Wailer 99s (in vile SE mojito green) to go with the 112s. Means I have gear I need to sell so will take photos and post for SHs to get 1st refusal.

I needed new (expensive) skis like a hole in the head, but there we go. It's done now.

Also need to change my car so that I have enough space to fit all my gear and the two leggy hounds I'll be taking to the Alps - sadly, I think than means I have to buy a Volvo estate Puzzled

On the car front I just got this beast for access:

Need to stick a roofbox on it now though and sell some organs to fund running it.
snow conditions
^ i've got about one more decent winter left in my jeep, will need to get something similar beyond that. have a hankering to go Landy Defender for no better reason than they will cease to produce in few years and i've always loved em, although there are far more practical options out there
snow report
barry, my heart says Defender. My head (and my wallet) say Disco or Volvo. Depressing.
snow conditions
Over here everyone is driving around in Toyotas and Nissans. The seriously modified stuff that drive on the glaciers are typically Landcruisers, Patrols or big ass American trucks. The latter are more for the wow factor and transporting tourists around than access. It's pretty typical for normal people to drive around on 35-40" really wide tyres though! So this whilst being giant in normal town traffic is actually quite small sitting on 33" tyres.

Last year we drove to Snaefell in the east of Iceland in a 110 Defender though and surprised the hut warden by making it through the drifted snow that filled in the track to the hut without chains or getting stuck. 'Normal' sized skinny tyres cutting through to the ground FTW sometimes:

I like the 110 as its pretty classic but it's loud, uncomfortable if you are tall in the back and not as reliable or as luxurious inside. The Patrol on the other hand will seat seven adults comfortably or five comfortably and a metric Be Nice please! of gear easily. It's also pretty terrifying how much space it has internally if you really just wanted to truck around things inside.
ski holidays
meh, saw a couple of Acrtic Trucks-modified landcruisers in Scotland last year - pretty awesome looking beasts.

zammo, yup, my head is saying landcruiser or hilux (or maybe patrol as an outsider though reckon most will be high-ish miles by now). but ya I do really fancy a Defender
snow report
Everything will be new this year.

I only discovered skiing last season. Very Happy
snow conditions
If I buy a 4x4 and put a roof box on it, can I still get on the Eurotunnel? Website really unhelpful on height restrictions.

You see, I have to fit these two in the car (this was their 1st birthday a couple of weeks ago):

Both by cjcspier, on Flickr

as well as 4 pairs of skis, touring kit, dog paraphenalia, stuff for a month away, oh, and the missus, so space is absolutely at a premium.
snow report
Actually, forget that last question - have now found info. No height restrictions, as long as you tell them first.
latest report
What I'm hoping for:

Scarpa Maestrale RS
Scott Venture with Tour 12s
snow report
Tiger2 wrote:
clarky999,
Quote:

Oh the irony Toofy Grin

Laughing
snow report
CEM wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Also need a transceiver, as I've somehow lost my current one Evil or Very Mad Will need to be on the cheap though

Confused

might have a decent price on a DTS tracker or tracker II just need to work out how much they cost me and how little we can make on them

You have a pm wink
snow report
One of these....

ski holidays
Update: ordered Praxis Freeride in 184, carbon layup - couldn't resist the presale price...now for the Dynafits and compatible boots!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon, Blimey - on top of the DPS & the ON3P?
latest report
Got new boots and skis Tecnica bushwhacker and White Dot directors, not sure if they will make me a better skier. Can't wait for PSB to try them out. Oh and a new rucksack and helmet, just need a new body to make this all work. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 13-08-12 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
fatbob, yes Embarassed The DPS and ON3P were always going to overlap badly and I knew it. The Freerides are a bit narrower, shorter, and quite a bit lighter, so they'll be doing touring duty with only Dynafits on.

My quiver is not rationally defensible right now. Once I ski the Freerides I'll see if I can part with the DPS or the ON3P.
snow report
horizon, The whole point of quivers is that they aren't rationally defensible.
snow conditions
an admirable bid by horizon to be snowheads' leading gear whore wink
snow conditions
Nothing new for me Sad I still fancy trying a visored helmet, but I am not certain I can stand the likely resulting ridicule.
snow report
going to be an expensive pre-season for me. not really decided why yet though Toofy Grin

Megamum, just modify your existing helmet with perspex
ski holidays
horizon, You've got nice toys!!
ski holidays
Arno wrote:

Tough competition. You would know wink Though rob@rar leads us by some margin.
snow conditions
Started skiing on dryslopes this time last year and I have been going through skis like toilet paper. On the plus side I am getting good practice at base and edge repairs.

Hopefully get to try something with a little bit different this winter. Something wider than my park skis thats for sure. But maybe I'll try out some 7.9 bbr's to wind up flowa. lol

Looking to give tele a go but this might have to wait til the season after next.
snow report
horizon wrote:
Arno wrote:

Tough competition. You would know wink Though rob@rar leads us by some margin.

Laughing
latest report
Got some FKS XXLs a couple of weeks ago (got a good deal on them), and planning to relocate my Dukes.... now just that little question of what to put them on eh?....
"The crystal ball of purchasing need" also has a wispy image of some TopShelf TS1 boots in there somewhere I think...

And with regard to new things I'm going to be riding on, well my mountain has kindly (at last!) bought a high speed quad which they are currently bolting together, so I guess I should go and try it out some time snowHead

Is it winter yet? Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy