Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

gps running watches

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
looking at getting one but unsure what to buy, any reccomendations, or does anyone have a used one for sale? Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graeme, I have the Garmin 305 and love it, but it's quite an old style and looks like a small computer. A couple of my friends have just got the latest Garmin (grey, looks like a watch), and are finding them really good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was using an app on my phone to time and map walking but the results are rubbish, at least for timing. How accurate are the watches ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndAnotherThing.., pretty accurate, as long as you pick up a signal (can be tricky in places with tall buildings, eg HK and Canary Wharf). You know they're accurate as post marathons posters on running forums always ask why their GPS tells them they ran 26. 5 or 26.7 miles, when a marathon is only 26.2. It's because it's measured by the most direct route, and you may have run wider round the corners, or weave through the crowds.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, The distance and mapping is pretty good, it's the timing that's a bit odd, by about 18% compared to the phones stopwatch. Maybe it's something to do with the settings Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've a Garmin Edge 205 which is the bike version, same inside I think. I think they're pretty good and accurate. Doesn't the recording rate that's set affect the accuracy?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndAnotherThing.., that's odd, you'd think the timing would be the easiest part?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme, I've got a Nike+ GPS watch that I'd recommend. It's not as "full featured" as the Garmin watches, but they've done a lovely job on the user interface and *shock* I can use it without having to reach for the manual all the time. Apple levels of usability. Connects and recharges via a USB connection that is built into the watch strap.

The watch also supports the Nike+ footpod things - which you can either use in a compatible Nike shoe or attach to another shoe using a cheap aftermarket "sock". These are relatively cheap and help if you're doing lots of running where GPS might drop out. I run in central London, though, and find just the GPS accuracy fine. The GPS software was developed for Nike by TomTom and pre-downloads satellite data to help speed up how quickly the watch locks on to the GPS.

It will also connect to (specific models of) Polar heart rate bands.

The web site is very good as well - although it focusses more on motivation than on analysis.

The downside is that, like Apple products, they've restricted the functionality to improve usability. So, no bike functionality; only simple timers and lap functionality; no heart rate alarms, etc; no "training partner" pacing functionality like the Garmins.

Highly recommended if you want simple functionality and analysis. Not the way to go if you want to get more "scientific" with your running analysis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme, I have a Navman R300 GPS that I bought on a whim for skiing to see just how far and how fast etc. It is actually intended for runners, and I found it quite easy to operate. It gets mixed reviews - the main criticism is the battery life - it uses AAs and rechargeables would be a sound investment. They cost about £30 odd. If you want, you can borrow it to try it - if you like it you can make me an offer.

A couple of friends that run just use the GPS facility on their smartphones - I do not know what app they use with it - and it seems to be handy enough for them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Latest and greatest seems to be

http://the5krunner.com/reviews-1/2012-garmin-910xt-review-benefits-triathlon-duathlon/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
deerman, thanks for the offer, they strap to the arm? are they easy to see when running?
at present i am using a nike sportband, its not 100% accurate but i quite like the interface online. leaning towards the nike gps watch at present
thanks all Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for the Nike watch, Mr jocrad has one of these...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
graeme, +1 for Garmins... if you're serious about running, they are prob the best. Certainly the most popular at my running club.
305 is perfectly good unless you want to do more than marathons, as the battery life isn't great. (in which case, the 310XT or higher is better, as aimed at Triathlon)
the 400 'watch' style ones look pretty, but the interface isn't so great - initial ones were over-sensitive, later ones are better, but having proper buttons to press on the 300 series is IMHO preferable. Battery life poss also issue due to small size.

There's also decent independent software for the Garmins - SportTracks is widely recommended. I don't know how well the other makes (Nike etc) export.

If you just want to see 'how fast am I going', a Navman or phone will be ok.... but you might not want to take your phone running.

910XT is the 'all bells and whistles', but prob overkill unless you're doing a lot of Triathlon training....

Accuracy - Garmins are rated at about 2% I think - in practice, on a measured run (e.g. 5k), I can get within 50metres on the 'accurate' setting (a decent running course will be measured on a wheel, GPS is notoriously not accurate in built up areas etc, but for the main purpose such as giving you a live 'pace' reading, they're fine).

h.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went eventually for the nike, purely for the nike + website interface. Thanks all
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy