Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone used Avios to book a snow holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to work out whether it's worth converting my large amount of Tesco Vouchers into Avios (getting extra Avios until the end of August apparently) with the intention of using them to pay for flights to Geneva / Chambery from Glasgow during the winter. I have more than enough points for Avios to cover a return trip for 2 people for those destinations but what I'm not sure about, is whether there would be "extra" cash costs associated with taking skis / snowboards on the flights, and what these would be. The Avios website is incredibly unhelpful on this topic, so wondered if anyone on here had ever done it? Me and my husband both take our own equipment when we go abroad, so that's one snowboard and one set of skis. As we live in Glasgow, this equipment will also have to travel on two flights - Glasgow to London / London to Switzerland / France. Then we'll obviously also need to find room for clothes, etc. Can anyone tell me whether we do need to pay excess baggage to take sports equipment, what the cost is, and whether it's per flight?

Thanks

Eleanor
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just booked flights to Geneva from London for a trip to Tignes in December using my Avios points. I went with Business class as it has a heavier baggage allowance (32kg instead of 23kg) and checking the small print from Avios states to refer to the airline regarding what they can carry. BA's site states that sports equipment is accepted, specifically skis if they are correctly packaged.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

and

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb

I'm going to call closer to the time, but I don't foresee any issues.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Feef. Apologies for what is probably a very dumb question, but does that mean you can take something larger than 90cm x 75cm x 43cm as your free hold baggage? The BA website is confusing my little brain by telling me that 90cm x 75cm x 43cm is the "maximum dimensions" and then saying I can take something larger. Surely maximum is maximum and anything bigger has to be paid extra for?! Also appears I can't fly business class using Avios from Glasgow to Geneva...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eleanor wrote:
Thanks Feef. Apologies for what is probably a very dumb question, but does that mean you can take something larger than 90cm x 75cm x 43cm as your free hold baggage? The BA website is confusing my little brain by telling me that 90cm x 75cm x 43cm is the "maximum dimensions" and then saying I can take something larger. Surely maximum is maximum and anything bigger has to be paid extra for?! Also appears I can't fly business class using Avios from Glasgow to Geneva...

From their website regarding large or bulky items, including sporting equipment:

Quote:
What to do with larger/bulky items
You may take bags up to the dimensions 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.

Any bags carried in addition to your free checked baggage allowance will incur an extra bag charge.
A heavy bag charge may apply to bags over 23kg (51lb).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good luck with Avios. We're going to change from getting our Clubcard points as Airmiles to getting vouchers as Avios is so difficult to deal with.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:
Good luck with Avios. We're going to change from getting our Clubcard points as Airmiles to getting vouchers as Avios is so difficult to deal with.

I'm confused by what you mean. Avios IS Airmiles.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy