Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les arcs 1800 to geneva / Lyon by coach / train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All:

First time user here and need some help.

Bunch of friends have booked Eurostar from London to les arcs for 2nd march to 9th march 2013, however I have to leave on Thursday 7th march due to work etc.

I wanted to know what is the best way to get back to London?

After some search I though maybe flight from geneva but unsure if any transfers coaches go to geneva on a Thursday? If there is, please can someone direct me to the right website and price?

The alternative is to take train to chambery but don't think there are flights from chambery to London on Thursday's.

Are there any other suggestions? As it is a budget ski trip, private transfer is out of the question. Sad

Any help is much appreciated!

Zi
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Funi to BSM
Book TGV by day or Corail Sleeper to Paris
Eurostart home.

Or www.altibus.com for a bus to GVA (usually 3 per day midweek) one way about E60) 1st one arrives about 1040.

There are occasional buses to LYS but don't know the times - last year LYS coach transfers just Fri Sat Sun
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi:

There are weekday trains from BSM to Paris? Any idea how much and how long it takes? Sorry if it's a stupid question, as I looked earlier but it didn't show up.

Which would be a slightly easier route? Geneva or train?

Thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are weekday trains from Bourg to Paris. The times etc are usually released about 3 months before and you can book them online at www.voyages-sncf.com. The website is in French but the search is on the front page and it is fairly obvious to use. Prices start from €30 one-way so you might get lucky but realistically you need to budget €60-100.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kungfusu3, As Snow and Sunshine, says French trains are released at midnight 3 months before, Eurostar 4 months before. You can buy tickets from raileurope.co.uk. I found it better to book Eurostar on their own site and the French Train on rail europe as Rail Europe often throws up odd and expensive options if you ask for BSM-London. Direct TGVs take less than 4 hours from BSM to Paris. You can cross Paris by Metro or taxy - allow a good hour to get by - you can do it quicker but.....

If it all gets too diff and you are in London pop along to Rail europes office - its on Picadilly and I always found them very helpful before I got a grip of the system! If you get the sleeper you can be in london by 1000hrs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1.) Funi to BSM -> TGV from Bourg StM -> Paris -> Eurostar to London
2.) Funi to BSM -> train from Bourg StM -> Chambery (disembark) -> train to Genva Airport -> plane to airport of choice

(1.) gives you night return options (a cheaper but longer alternative is via Lille). Don't take a taxi - Gare du Nord is on the metro as is the Gare you arrive at from BStM - just take the Metro (although it is a bit of a shlep and I would not reccomend it late at night if you are a small girly type (male or female). I have had to 'dissuade' a couple of the locals a couple of the times, including one effete luggage thief

2.) generally works out cheaper - trust me, I've looked - BUT N.B. Geneva airport closes for the night (go figure) and the train timetable can mean you have to wait at Chambery for an age. ad BUT you have to be precise about changes and timings and you will almost certainly have to wait at Chambery.

If you are lugging tons of gear - I'd take option 1 which also works better if you wish to ski the last day. If you are travelling light and the timings work out, option 2 can be cheaper and slightly quicker. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kungfusu3,

Bus to Lyon from BSM, couldn't be easier, they run several times a day. Used this service countless times before driving.
Try http://satobus-alpes.altibus.com/index.aspx?cp=EN
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Zi,

You could do a one-way all the way back to London. The exact times are not available yet, but you can see guideline times with this journey planner (on my site, Snowcarbon) here http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/les-arcs. Just put the date you want into the date filter.

Probably cost you around £80 - 100 to go back to London, one way, via Chambery and Paris, you get in three months ahead and get the lower fares.

I've done that journey myself a few times,

Cheers,
Daniel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've done one way Genva -> London City (flights and train) for less than £80 - but you better start looking now and be prepared for some waiting around.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy