Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Iran: were you beheaded?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been skiing in Iran? Would be interesting to hear any stories. I've found a few threads but they were pretty old. I'm going to go through my old copies of Fall-line and have a look, there was a good article in there. I might scan it in as long as not too many people have an outrage meltdown at breach of copyright etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm told the apres isn't up to much Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But I hear the women are exquisite. Look but don't touch? Be(purple)headed?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the few trips I had a few years ago I would say it is not much different from any skiing resort in Europe.

The ski pass was US$ 5 per day and the gondola was one of the longest in one resort at the edge of Tehran.

The girls were much more relax with the lads there as they do need help from the lads to learn snowboarding. It was heart-warming to see a bucnh of girls and boys sitting down in the snow to hang out together in clothing exactly we wear ourselves. Can't see any of it in the city but up the mountain at 3000m not many would bother them. My host did mention the authority was trying to put a brake on them.

Skiing in quite popular in Tehran as the season is very long. No problem skiing in June! The infrastructure is dated though as no major investment has come forward and the Iranians are using those facilities left by the Shah.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee: Nice pics.

Is that you in the flat cap? Being a Newcastle lad, did your whippet just stray out of the photo wink ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Funnily enough, I stumbled upon a video about Iranian skiing today. Looks fun:

http://youtube.com/v/W9TYg0q1jJs&feature=relmfu
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict,

The gentleman with the cap was my host in Iran.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, Great video
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That is a cool video. going to stick on our fb page
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andersont, I have but years ago. Last time was around 2000 or so.
As kuwait_ian I've contributed to a few threads here on the subject.

I doubt if it has changed very much. They can have great snow. The uplift equipment is mostly pre-revolution (<1979) in origin and while lovingly maintained is slow and at some resorts queuing is a problem. Skiing and snowboarding are very popular sports amongst those Iranians who can afford to. Middle - Upper Class youths for the most part.
Apres-ski as we know it is non-existent for a visitor but when you live there (as I did) you'd be surprised what you can organise. wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 31-07-12 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied at a resort about an hour out of Tehran in 1973, so I don't suppose my memories are relevant now rolling eyes
I do remember though that studded tyres where compulsory in Tehran for the winter, the taxis set little trails of sparks from their wheels at night!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.fightgravity.co.uk/2011/ski-ascent-of-mount-damavand/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/IUvCW5oCu_Q
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andersont, I remember them filming that in Tehran - I don't know if I saw them doing the filming, but they were on the local news.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So: the general opinion seems to be that the skiing can be great if not world class, but it's more about having an adventure somewhere strange? Also, it would be a clever idea to hire a guide and also to take touring/mountaineering kit to get the most out of the place?
latest report
andersont, I cannot see your video links at work but Mt Damavand is not considered a ski resort (or at least wasn't when I was there - IIRC it's over 18,000 ft and is a slightly active volcano - a few gassing fumaroles around the slopes which kill the odd sheep and goat and several hot springs round the base. Snowcapped year round and more of a mountaineering route than a skiing location. For that one, I guess you should definitely have a guide. Can't comment on possibilities of ski touring/mountaineering elsewhere. It's a big country with a lot of mountains !!

For the established ski resorts, of which Dizin (north of Tehran but not accessed from Tehran city itself) is the biggest (which is not saying much - just a handful of lifts) you won't need a guide. Even for the limited off-piste, when conditions permit. Dizin is a north-facing snow bowl and virtually impossible to get lost. Small by European / American standards. Most other 'resorts' have only one or two means of uplift. You don't give a location but I'm guessing you're are an experienced skier to be even considering this.... you might be disappointed.

To be honest, Iran is not that strange once you get in - visas are still a hassle. Iran Air is not recommended - dubious safety record. The Govt is the pits but the people in general are great and the ones you might meet on the slopes (as they generally are worldwide) are friendly and helpful. Although few speak English. If you do go, use smaller private hotels in the cities rather than the big Govt-owned and operated ex Hiltons and Sheratons.

My main caveat is that I don't know what the impact of the increasing current imposed sanctions is - there is rampant inflation and that might be making some folks less happy with the 'West'. Your hard currency will still make things like lift passes dirt cheap by our standards.

Check the Iranian Ski Federation web site for more up-to-date info than I can give - link in snowBase.

Bottom line - there are better places to put higher up the list for snowbound adventure. Cheers.
snow report
Iran Ski Federation home page is now in Farsi (quite understandably - but when we linked it in snowBase originally it was English) and if there is a way to switch to an English section I can't find it.

Here's a good site for info on the various possibilities for skiing/boarding in Iran - if not for the adventure stuff the OP is looking for.
http://www.uppersia.com/Iran-destinations/iran-ski-areas.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy