Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Theroy or Volkl Mantra

Poster: A snowHead
I recently moved to Colorado and am upgrading my skiing equipment. I want a good one quiver ski that I will probably complement with a wider ski next year. I ski the whole mountain without trouble, and I enjoy steeps and woods more than moguls. Oh, and I'm 5'9", 150 lbs.

I have been looking at the Atomic Theory 168 cm and Volkl Mantra 170 cm. I want it to perform pretty well in the trees and in the powder as well as in the groomed ares areas, especially since I probably will add another ski for the heavy powder days in the future. What do you guys think? Other skis worth a look?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both quite different skis. Mantra is a fair bit stiffer - possibly a lot of work at your weight, but would be a great charger. Theory more easy going and playful. You might want to consider going a touch longer, more mid-170s. I say this as when I bought my first ski aged 18 I was the same height/weight as you, I got 165's (which were a jump up form the hire skis I'd used previously), yet very quickly upgraded to a 176 ski (twins though) for most things. Both of the skis you mention have some rocker, so will ski a touch shorter than stated (as do twintips). Extra length is always good in powder too, I gather you get a lot of that in CO wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 30-07-12 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ptempo, I've skied Mantras for last 4 years (184cm, 5'10" 90kg) and highly recommend them, as clarky999, says they are quite stiff but the new rocker ski for last season turns much quicker. I ski them in all locations, trees, steeps, powder, moguls (ish!) and on piste/ slack country and they really are rock solid. I'd go longer than 170cm and get a rockered pair. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ptempo, welcome to snowHeads. Check-out the High Society & Icelantic skis, both of which are made in Colorado. Both have excellent quality/constructions & are made by great guys - & you'd be supporting your local industry.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ptempo, Mantras are unbeatable. Not quite sure what comments re stiffness refer to but I am weird. Also only 165cms and 62kgs, skiing on 177cms on the Mantras.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ptempo, Mantras are unbeatable. Not quite sure what comments re stiffness refer to but I am weird. Also only 165cms and 62kgs, skiing on 177cms on the Mantras.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank's a lot for your input guys, definitely leaning towards the Mantras after reading this. I'll probably like the stiffness quite a bit in the piste, I like to go fast. Still kind of thinking 170 though, so they will be a bit more maneuverable in the trees. As I mentioned, I am willing to sacrifice a little of the powder capabilities since I will get a wider pair later.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just bought some 191 Mantras and I normally ski a 175 piste ski if that gives you a comparison. Go longer rather than shorter with modern rockered skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, and I suppose my next question should be about bindings.

I have nothing in mind, but I would like to get away as cheaply as possible. Since I'm pretty light I probably don't need anything too heavy duty... or?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
glp9 wrote:
I've just bought some 191 Mantras and I normally ski a 175 piste ski if that gives you a comparison. Go longer rather than shorter with modern rockered skis.

I'll keep this in mind. Thank you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
glp9, That surprises me, 191's??
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, I used to ski 185 twins and have tried to Volkl Kendo in a 184 but decided with the rocker in the Mantra that 184 would be too short so 191 it is!
I'm 6'4" and 90kgs and like a stiff ski so looking forward to getting out on them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a big difference in "skiability" between mantra in 177 and 184
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ptempo, glp9 talks sense. Buy longer than you think you need if it's your first pair of rockered skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't get over carried away with the rocker, it's very light on the Mantra/Nanuq, more an "Early rise", that said it will effect the length choice, easily pushing the suggested 170 upto 177.
snow conditions
glp9, Fair-do's. Enjoy them.

I've also got 191 fully rockered WD Redeemers, I think less of an issue on length they just go anywhere in powder. My only caution was that the Mantras need driving hard but you know this anyway.
snow report
I'm still struggling with this "Mantras need driving hard" idea.

YMMV but both I and the OH are very light on our skis. No hard driving required.

Puzzled
ski holidays
I'll go with the 177's.
latest report
under a new name,
Quote:
I'm still struggling with this "Mantras need driving hard" idea
They don't! I've been on 191 Mantras for about five years now. Excellent ski for European off piste, i.e relatively heavy powder, crud, sludge. They tank through everything, but I don't need to 'drive them hard' to do it.
Highly recommended btw.
ski holidays
Steilhang, That was exactly my point. We love them. A very nice hangover ski.
latest report
under a new name, Maybe I was not clear - my point was that to get the best out of them in on piste areas (OP wanted this cross over) then you do have to drive them pretty hard to get a full carve, after all they are effectively a GS ski format. I agree 100% on crud and heavy powder they do bash through almost everything, and cope with almost all conditions. Having skied 3 pairs, all 184's since they came out 06/07 I believe they are limited in deep powder, I want a better float and thats why I have a pair of WD Redeemers.

I've looked at changing last year to potentially other skis and decided to stick with my Mantras, I dont think theres a better ski for all day long skiing. My wife skis on the Aura's, the female Mantra equivalent also.
snow report
Markymark29, Hmmm, I think I sort of see what you mean. I find I just need to add adequate speed Twisted Evil One of my favourite aspects is that they don't seem to have a speed limit.

I can see why one might consider that they philosophically have limitations in deep powder, but you will get no resonance there from me, as is well known I like my FIS slalom skis in deep powder. Do you want to ski in the powde or on top of it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy