Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half way between Calais and French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me what would be about half way between Calais and French Alps? Friends are driving and catching a early afternoon train and want to try and do half the journey that day. They want to drive for about 4 and a half to 5 hours so where would that take them to all you seasoned drivers? Am trying to help them with destinatoin for overnight stop.

Any help appreciated as always.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mouth
Have a look at http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/driving.htm half way down the page is a pretty accurate time/kilometre's breakdown of the trip from Calais to La Tania featuring all the major junctions on the way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mouth, If they are really, really tired, Reims. If they have the energy to go on, Dijon or possibly Beaune. Some of the budget hotels get full up on a Friday night, so they might want to book a room online before setting off, but the downside is that they will be tied to that stop wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mouth, we caught a 5pm train last year and stopped at Reims. This year we have a 2pm train and we'll probably go as far Chaumont as I doubt that I would want to drive as far as Dijon. There's a Formule 1 at Chaumont which would be a very cheap overnight stop.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mouth, Dijon is just about 1/2 way; there are Camponile, Formule1, Premier Class hotels at just about every major autoroute junction. You can book online at www.envergure.fr which lists all their hotels and locations.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax, any idea how long the driving time is Calais-Dijon?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We always stop Novotel Dijon Sud down and Novotel Reims Tinqueux up.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 3-10-05 10:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, About 2.5 hours? The quietest, most boring part of the journey I used to reckon, always a section I found it hard to stay awake and alert if driving overnight...

oops I thought I read Reims/Dijon? So read 4.5 hours Calais/Dijon ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, I always allow about 5 hrs, depending on conditions of course.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Laughing I wondered what car you drove when I read the first paragraph of your reply! At 4.5 or 5 hours to Dijon maybe that's where I should book our overnight stop.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk, make it Nuits St George, I can recommend a couple of cellars to purchase a cubitainer or two of delicious Burgundy to take home!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, hear, hear. depends on what you prefer - we always stop in pouilly fuisse on the way back after a day's skiing, have a slap up dinner and load up all available space with white burgundy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We always stay at the Dijon Holiday Inn family room usually about £70.00 per night when booked online.
very nice accommodation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We allow from Calais, two hrs to Reims, 4 hrs to Dijon, and 6 to Geneva. Travelling to the Chamonix valley we can get there in 7 hrs including fuel stops and smart/quick coffee stops. We have bettered it a few times but don't do that anymore. It helps if you swap drivers and just get on with it, which is how I like to travel.

If you want to go further south to the Moutier gateway, this is where you lose time as the destinations are less direct. I hate messing around by Lyon and Chambery as you feel you are getitng nowhere. You really slow down here.

I would say anything less than Dijon is a waste of time because for Moutier resorts you might well have another 4 hrs to go. So even if you leave the overnight at 0800 you still aren't getting into the resort until midday. We ALWAYS do the journey in one hit.
Leave Calais port by 09:00 CET and you want to rolling into the resort by 19:00 or you have had a real pig of a drive IMO.

For LDA and ADH via Grenoble the timing is even worse...!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, the days are long gone when Jane and I were happy to do the drive in one hit! We normally take the car at Christmas time, and it would be too much of an effort to do the journey in one day after having had a very busy autumn term in school (for Jane) or university (for me). We prefer to break the journey overnight even if it means missing a few hours skiing.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk,

Understandable, but I get a bit impatient and I suppose I don't like travelling very much. I want to get there. I would - and do, sometimes - sleep most of the way, until it is my turn to drive. The most relaxing way to get there is by train for me and I like the fact that Euro trains get there when they say they will. However, I find it frustrating to know they builid in 'waits' in sidings and the like to achieve this.

We like to use a roomy and quick saloons or estates. Worst to travel are giant 4x4's but they have their adavantages in the mountains of course. I will never ever go south in a Land Rover again..Just soooo slow for me.

It might sounds like I'm really intense about this but I chill really quickly when we have a disaster, like blow an engine or something.
After all, it is supposed to be a holiday. I just file those as 'adventures'
snow report
Mouth, i know a lovely B&B just outside Gevrey-Chambertin/Nuit St Georges, run by a scottish couple. Only 5 mins from autoroute. PM me and I'lll try to find the details
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Thanks and will do.

Thanks to everyone for their responses
snow conditions
JT wrote:
We like to use a roomy and quick saloons or estates. Worst to travel are giant 4x4's but they have their adavantages in the mountains of course. I will never ever go south in a Land Rover again..Just soooo slow for me.

It might sounds like I'm really intense about this but I chill really quickly when we have a disaster, like blow an engine or something.
After all, it is supposed to be a holiday. I just file those as 'adventures'

I've driven to Sicily a few times in a Landrover. Definitely filed those experiences under "Adventures". On the way back when we arrived at the Mont Blanc tunnel we considered ourselves to be almost home...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 3-10-05 16:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Many of the en route budget hotels have been collected onto one website at http://www.eurapart.com/budget.html
ski holidays
snowbunny, thanks for that link.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk,

How many days did it take you..?

Land Rover x Alpes = 2 bl**dy days...!!!
snow conditions
JT, four days if we pushed on, five days if we took it easy (or broke down Sad ) After a few years of driving we decided to catch the ferry from Genoa to Palermo (24 hr 'cruise') which was more expensive but much easier on passengers and the Landrover!
snow conditions
How about having some Macon in Macon?
latest report
Bounce - for which I make no apology wink

Have spent the last few days confirming our holiday dates, around staffing schedules, race dates, and major conferences rolling eyes

We now have one date which means picking the Darlings up from school and heading straight for the Tunnel. I was thinking of an overnight in Arras but having read the above I now think Reims is a better idea. So any Reccomendations for a hotel/motel/budget (I'am not fussy!) very close to the motorway?

We have stayed in Reims once before and my only memory was wasting time trying to find the hotel and next morning getting totally lost trying to find the M way again. (was not funny in a convoy of 3 cars, and I had a sense of humour failure!) Sad
ski holidays
boredsurfin, I tend to use the Premiere Classe at Reims Taissy.
It's very close to the motoway which runs through Reims. Leave at J 26 Cormontreuil, and it's in the Parc Activities du Chateau. there is also a Bonsai Hotel next door. PM me if you want exact directions, phone numbers etc Very Happy
latest report
boredsurfin,
Can't help in Rheims, I'm afraid I would hate the idea of stopping so soon as I feel I've only just started but we did pull off the Autoroute around Chartres or somesuch place on the way to Dijon....we looked at the map, spotted a reasonable size town only a few kms from the turn off and rode into town and picked the first one we liked...That worked quite well ...
I'm not a fan of the formula 1 type doss houses but they have their uses...
snow report
boredsurfin, Formule 1 and ETAP hotels close to the autoroute a Reims Tinqueux. Not very good restaurants nearby. The extra to pay for ETAP gives you a lift in the hotel - very helpful when emptying the car.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We tend to use Reims as we've already had a 6 hour trip before we get to Dover.
snow report
Down towards Troyes there's a factory outlet place isn't there? Years ago we stopped there and bought cheap Colombia clothing.
ski holidays
do the formule 1 and etap places have secure parking? or do you need to empty the car of all your stuff?
ski holidays
aseeto, Some have big locking gates on their car parks. Even so, that will not stop someone breaking into your car. We always park the car close to our room, and take out all valuables.
ski holidays
For characterful stops south of Dijon but northof Beaune we like Chablis (Pretty pricey but good for a stop) or to stay Tournus, which has a number of hotels and good restaurants. We've just turned up and asked for a room off season, and having now not driven for 5 years I can't remember the names, try to stay on the town side of the Rhone. there are a couple of hotels on the opposite bank but its a walk into town for dinner. Some good wine shops too with reasonable prices.
snow conditions
We stayed in the Campanile in Reims Tinqueux last year. We only needed a cheap and clean B&B as we arrived late and left early, and this hotel fitted the bill. It was close to the Autoroute, rooms were clean, breakfast was pleasant, etc. The car park was reasonably secure, with a large gate that was locked between midnight and 6am.
latest report
ise, the whole of Troyes is full of factory outlets, they're all over the place. All the cheaper french hotel chains have places there and I usually stop over when I'm driving through France in summer or Winter. The centre is quite pleasant too if you have a little spare time.
ski holidays
We have now booked our Logis de FRance hotel near Epernay. Looks like a nice restaurant too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy