Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest 20k/20k ski salopettes?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know what the cost is for the cheapest 20k/20k salopettes you can get are? and also what a good price is for some good quality ones?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
going forward it's 1...

If you want to ask about some cheap good ski pants ask in English...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know what you mean.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry it just me.... I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recomend you a breathable and waterproof ski pant for a good price....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or maybe not Sad … try asking on a snowboard forum they do a lot more sitting in the snow to attach bindings etc… so to them waterproofing on pants is more important…
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know what you're on about, Not 20/20 but 20/15 is the Westbeach Franz pants (assuming you're a bloke, and ok, they're not sallys) You can get them in the Westbeach sale for 60% off (normally £180, down to £72)

Big fan of WB gear, used it for years for trips in Canada and it's bombproof. Good waterproofing.

If not, go Goretex, which is 'basically' infinite waterproof, infinite breathable, but be prepared to hand over the £££
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:

If not, go Goretex, which is 'basically' infinite waterproof, infinite breathable, but be prepared to hand over the £££

It certainly isn't and can wet out rendering it useless like any other fabric.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

which is 'basically' infinite waterproof, infinite breathable

But never at the same time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
infinitely waterproof maybe but never infinitely breathable
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, I reckon if you took one out and blew steam into it at -40, it would be pretty close. Never the less Goretex, and I wear it, is a con. Vastly over engineered and will never be breathable enough when it needs to be and if it is, you won't be needing the waterproof qualities.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey, if anyone else has a better definition of how to compare goretex to other waterproof ratings, feel free to post it...
or help the OP find some 20k/20k pants too... that'd possibly be useful too. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bear in mind that the Patent for Gore-Text was granted in 1976. In those days it WAS revolutionary, but a lot of other fabrics, membranes and treatments have come along since then that are just as good, if not better.

The technology I'm more interested in is Ion-Mask:

http://www.p2i.com/ion-mask
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CH2O, pretty sure i read somewhere that you can double your gore-tex jacket's breathability but undoing the zip down to your chest! i also have plenty of goretex stuff and it's certainly better than wearing a bin liner but a sweaty betty like me doesn't have much problem in overpowering the breathability
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have sweaty eyes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alright the cheapest 20/20 kecks you can get are probably Dare 2 Be in their 70% off summer sale if they've got any. Not as interesting as arguing about goretex though wink

Personally I just accept that doing fun stuff outdoors in the "wrong" weather I'll get wet - doesn't really matter provided I don't get too cold. Staying dry is a bonus. My motto on overengineered walking overtrousers is there ain't nothing as waterproof and breathable as skin. (note this is a good reason for wearing shorts - not going full naked rambler wink )
ski holidays
Right, my suggestion.

I have spent years with cheap and expensive salopettes, getting a wet bum on snowy covered chairlifts.

Last season i bought a pair of Trespass Jack mens salopettes. They are only 15000 mm h/h waterproof and 8000 mm h/h breathable.

However skiid in February 2012 in them in La Rosiere with shed loads of snow, i did not get a wet bum, clamy or cold in them once.

I used them again in March 2012 in St Sorlin D'Arves, where it was a lot warmer and slushy snow. Again no wetness and no clamy legs as it being warmer i unzipped the leg vents.

I wrote a review which Trespass put on their site, link below.

http://www.trespass.co.uk/mens-jack-01795
ski holidays
mag1882, This is what you want I suggest 20k/ 20k , its brilliant:-

http://www.torayentrant.com/dermizax/der_002.html

Mammut use this widely, I have one of their jackets bought last season, have goretex also and rate my Mammut jacket far higher than Arcteryx Beta goretex shell for breathability, really good fabric.
latest report
Cheaper on e-bay by miles

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TRESPASS-MENS-SKI-SNOWBOARD-SALOPETTES-TROUSERS-PANTS-/120803664088?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item1c2075a0d8
snow report
mag1882, Or this:-

http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/en/technologies/c-change.html
snow conditions
Timbobaggins, Look OK for the price eh? Breathability is less of an issue with pants, betty swollocks is not such a big deal!
snow conditions
Markymark29,

At e-bay price of £65 they are a steal, and i didn't suffer from Betty Swollocks at all. Very Happy
latest report
found some 20k/20k for £45 shipped, take it that's the best deal I'm going to get?
ski holidays
that sounds very very cheap to me. ("found some 20k/20k for £45 shipped, take it that's the best deal I'm going to get?")

just be careful though, the numbers are all well and good, but you pay for what you get (quality of brand, material, durability etc).....

I bought some Helly Hansen Legend ski pants for last season, 14k waterproof, 18k breathable, absolutely love them. If you shop around you can get them for less than £100.
snow conditions
I know for a fact they're an extremely high quality pant, much better than helly hansen and trespass.
ski holidays
Markymark29,
Quote:

This is what you want I suggest 20k/ 20k , its brilliant:-

This is the same fabric that Ortovox use on some of their outer shells, just that Ortovox weave in Merino wool as well, ends up at 26k waterproof and 20K breathability

The structure of the fabric actually changes as it gets warmer from the inside, the pores open and allow moisture to escape.
Shocked
clever stuff
latest report
just got a pair of these for £12 brand new... http://www.dare2b.com/buy/club-pant-ii-158351 if you belive fallline gear guide they 20/20 ! http://www.marshallleisure.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=119_121_124&products_id=152720
ski holidays
II, enjoy having a wet bum! the year we did dare2be I returned half of my stock due to manufacturing issues. Then again for £12 you could get a new pair every second day.

Just check all the seams when you get them....
latest report
20/20 refers only to the material that the garment is made of. If the seams are not sealed the waterproof rating of the material won't stop you from getting wet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought some 20K/20K salopettes in an off-season sale in France two days ago - a mere 130 euros, reduced from a lot more! They'd better be good; my last pair (Columbia) cost £10 ex-hire and lasted three seasons....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy