Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next train trip - Val D'Isere or Les Arcs for lower intermediates?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After rather successful trip on the night train to 3V last winter (skiing for full 8 days),
I am considering similar for next year.

Always thought Val D'Isere/Tignes will be the destination but after reading more and more about Paradiski,
I now reckon it might be slightly better destination for lower intermediates?

She as a skier can do easier reds but given the chance will always insist on blue.
I (on the board) can negotiate any tricky part on red runs etc,
but ideally enjoy cruising blues and wide reds.

With recent upgrades lifts look to be rather good in Les Arcs/La Plagne, so it is mostly flat bits and narrow cat tracks that worrying me a bit in this area.

As for Val, seems like most blues/reds will be on the steeper side.

What would you recommend?

For now I lean towards Les Arcs staying in Vallandry area for easy access to both resorts.

We stayed in Mottaret in 3V last year and it worked very well for straight forward access to whatever area we chose for the day.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 27-07-12 12:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom W, Paradiski - Easier journey, easier home runs at the days end.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say your instincts are about rightTom W. Les Arcs for sure and La Plagne is fine too. Not sure what you mean by
Quote:
so it is mostly flat bits and narrow cat tracks that worrying me a bit in this area
Many, many options to avoid this, if that answers what I think is the question.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chasseur, Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, Chasseur,
Wonder if you can answer this question as I can not work it out clearly form piste maps.

Can you join top of Rossa chair (and runs La Rossa, Le Serac) coming down straight from Levasset under the Carella chair?
I tried to draw with with yellow arrow on piste map.
Seems possible on the first piste map but..
it is not clear as second piste map only suggest run down from top of Rossa to join Levasset but not the other way.
(according to the second map seems like you can only access Rossa runs if you come from the bottom via Eterlou chair.

Also what is this Telecorde lift? Is it a tow to help you through on flat bit of Levasset piste?

PS Sorry for asking stupid qestions but I would like to know Wink

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tom W, can't comment on tignes, but went les arcs last Feb. We absolutely loved it. For us it was an upgrade from passo tonale in Italy. Never been to a resort with huge amount of runs. We are similar to you_wife prefered the blues. Think we did 1 red in a week as we stayed on the blues which we both thought were great. We are middle intermediates but coasting blues over reds every time for us. Some of the runs in vallandry are beautiful! Some say les arcs is a bit flat but didn't find any trouble with it. There r a.few.areas.where u have to push a little bit but not flat! We didn't have any trouble with queues. 99% straight to front. Think we had to queue once for 2mins. We went 5th feb. Snow park is v good. Didn't do jumps myself but great to watch big air jumps. There is an air bag in LA whig looks great fun. Wish I tried it. U have to pay for the 1 in la plagne. We stayed in 1950 which allowed us to get to la plagne lift in 30 mins (45 chilled out) but because it takes a while to get iactually into la plagne we only managed to ski belle plagne (which is really nice) I would deff go back. Found it a bit expensive compared to italy and Bulgaria but skiing conditions were great. we were told tignes was more expensive again and not as gentler. Total transfer to LA was 4hrs coach which was knackering but again, tignes is further. If u want to see my videos seach x9jpf les arcs on YouTube. Go les arcs. You will have a.great time!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A vote for val d' a resort not a ski station, you will love it. Has snow when others do not and the OK downhill is can be managed by a second week skier, what a buzz.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you will love it

You might love it. In the interests of accuracy I feel compelled to note that not everybody loves Val D'Isere. A bit of a Marmite resort, judging from comments on SHs over the years. Tom W, make sure you avoid French school holidays (as Jon Ford did and found no queues). Can't answer your detailed questions but somebody will be along soon who can - there are some SHs who know the area very well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom W,
Can only answer from a skiers point of view.
I don't remember to may cat tracks at La Plagne / Les Arcs but they don't really bother me. There are definately more of the gentler runs in Paradiski though Vd'I /Tignes have a lot as well though the home runs can be a bit unpleasant for the early intremediate in Val d'Isere.

The resorts are not massively different in style, large pricey and not particularly easy on the eye. One bit where Paradiski wins hands down is much more exensive tree skiing, which may be a big advantage in poor light / bad weather or just for a bit of variety. Probably better scenery over towards Mont Blanc in my view as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tom W, the Telecorde is a rope tow by the side of the piste to help snowboarders who haven't got a mate on ski's to help them along or haven't sufficient skills to build on momentum
Toofy Grin
Your yellow line is not possible as the top of Rossa is on a small peak with only runs down. The i and first aid and picnic bench signs on the map hide a deep gully that separates the pistes. It's a bit clearer on the 2010/2011 piste map.

You can ski down from Carella and then the Levasset piste down towards Champagny and then get Borselliersa back up to get to Rossa, passing 2 or 3 rather good restaurants on the way Very Happy

There are big motorway blues and some excellent off piste (and near piste) in the Champagny area.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haven't been in Les Arcs, but Tignes and Val d'isere are maybe more suitable for lovers of steeper/more advanced ski areas.

In Val d'isere the runs are generally easier and shorter than in Tignes, but some of them are kind of narrow/get steep at times, and when there are more people, might become challenging for a lower intermediate.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, Thanks all clear now regarding that piste.
Seems like Paradiski will edge this time as she will def enjoy it more.
Val can wait for another winter Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why ski in France when there is Austria, les arcs great skiing area, but expensive like all of France
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ribblevalleyblue, wink
We've done Austria a lot and it is my favourite country for skiing by far. Although we love to explore new places and we liked the train option as well.
We did like 3V last year but not more than any other places we've been to. So it will be nice to ride somewhere new next winter.
If train or tour operator it is probably France if DIY, as we do a lot, it might be Austria or Italy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy