Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new skier - Should I buy skis yet?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm relatively new to skiing, I've done one week in Italy and can comfortably parallel.

I had quite a few issues with the rented boots so decided to buy a pair for this season. I went into ellis brigham at xscape Castleford and speant a good couple of hours trying on and having boots fitted. I went for Salomon RS 8's that were reduced from something like £250 to £130. And I'm very pleased with them! They fit like a glove Smile

Now I'm wondering if its worth buying some skis? A couple of people told me its not worth it because my abilities will quickly out grow the skis, and I will be changing them regularly. Is this true at my level? Should I wait till I'm an intermediate?

I'm 5'7 (170cms) and 67kgs (147lbs).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nick9one1, well done on the boots. If you ski 3 weeks+ a year then buy, if not then rent.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nick9one1, 25-25.5, the boots that is. 26 at a push?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What would be your main motivation for buying your own skis?
To save money? So you get familiar with them? Convenience of not having to faff around in hire shop?
Are your finances tight or are you flush with cash?
All factors that would affect the advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
nick9one1, well done on the boots. If you ski 3 weeks+ a year then buy, if not then rent.

Succinct, as always - and quite right IMV (for what it's worth)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At this point you will outgrow them quickly. Probably worth renting through this season, and next summer rethink it.

Unless you get a chance to pick up skis for less than £50, it isn't likely to work out financially, but ebay is your friend if you do go ahead over the summer and outgrow them over this winter.

Over the last few years I have worked on picking up basically old skis in good condition. They have been sub-£30 in most cases. This has worked out cheaper for most of our group than renting - I lend them a pair of skis for the week, £25 ski carriage, £20 edge and wax and they are on the slopes for £45 ski rental. All pairs so far have survived well without significant damage or failure, and in return for arranging they buy me a pint at some point in the week. This works out because the skis are so cheap - buy them for £200 or more and suddenly it is cheaper to rent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm an intermediate skier and I seem to be skiing 3 weeks a season at the mo'.
I still haven't bought my own skis, much to some peoples' amusement.

I've always been OK with what I've been given in resort and my technique is still developing (more slowly than I'd like, but it is still developing). I've been messing about trying skis for most of that 5 years both in resort and at snowdome events. What I've noticed is that as my technique has improved I have been able to tell the difference between the types of skis and have a vague idea of which skis work in what conditions for different kinds of skiing.

If I found the right pair of skis I'd buy them, but I'm not in any hurry. Not having my own skis means that I can hire what suits the conditions in the mountain when I get there rather than having to buy a "compromise" ski that can do anything reasonably well.

Enough about me. You've done one week of skiing and have caught the bug. In my opinion it might be worth doing another few weeks skiing to get an understanding of what kind of skiing you want to do and what sort of skis suit you before you buy any. Then again you might see an amazing bargain or find that the next pair of skis you try in resort are perfect and buy a pair of those. If you do buy some think about what you'll be using them for and where. If you're going to be in the Park messing around on jumps and rails you won't want a fat powder ski and vice versa if the call of the off-piste is strong.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
or what Monium said Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't buy skis - spend the cash on lessons then when you've learnt to ski good you'll know what you want in a ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, +1
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, +1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nick9one1 wrote:
I'm relatively new to skiing, I've done one week in Italy and can comfortably parallel.

I had quite a few issues with the rented boots so decided to buy a pair for this season. I went into ellis brigham at xscape Castleford and speant a good couple of hours trying on and having boots fitted. I went for Salomon RS 8's that were reduced from something like £250 to £130. And I'm very pleased with them! They fit like a glove Smile

Now I'm wondering if its worth buying some skis? A couple of people told me its not worth it because my abilities will quickly out grow the skis, and I will be changing them regularly. Is this true at my level? Should I wait till I'm an intermediate?

I'm 5'7 (170cms) and 67kgs (147lbs).

don't believe what anyone says about how its only worth buying boots if you ski more than 3 weeks a year! Havign suffered with rental boots for 3 years (i.e. going skiing for a week once a year), a couple of years ago I decided to buy my own boots at the start of the holiday and had them fitted in the resort - then went back to the shop a couple of times that week to have them tweaked. Like you I got them reduced in a sale but they fit like slippers.

I still generally only ski once a year, but wearing my own boots is like heaven and has really bought my skiing on.

I probably wouldn't buy skis for a while for two main reasons;

1) faff factor of carrying them to the airport and back
2) I haven't got a clue about what my future skiing requirements will be; on piste / off piste / mixed

having said that, if i didn't mind the faff then I would defo buy a pair of skis and cart them to the piste with me for a couple of trips or more - not only is it cheaper (even taking into account the maintenance and flight charges), but sometimes at the resort you just get what you're given (or what they have left) for standard skis and if you want better skis you pay through the nose for the rental.

So for the price of two years rental you could buy a decent pair of skis that will last you a few years and work out cheaper than renting top end skis and will be a constant each year.

As others have said, if you find the right pair of skis (and bindings) buy them, if not carry on renting -having good fitting boots is more important (for me at the moment) than having the latest skis.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
You don't need to buy the latest skis, get some discounted ones from last year...

The deciding factor is probably is it worth the hassle carrying them to/from skiing on planes.

If you are not travelling by plane and/or you are skiing more than a few weeks a year then it's worth getting your own.

Otherwise it might be easier to hire.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First winter with my own skis after about 17 trips. Kids are old enough to look after themselves while travelling now.
Not that big a faff TBH. Added bonus of putting loads of gear in the ski bag, up to 32kg.
Not that expensive as they are not the latest design but ones i knew i "got on with" from previous hires.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nick9one1, if you fly to where you ski, hireing will be a cheaper option... I have several pairs of skis if I go overseas I still rent....
latest report
Pick up some second hand (here or ebay) or discounted skis and you won't regret it.

FAF
I can't understand this comment, all you have to do is carry them from the airport carpark/transport hub to the checking desk and ditto from collection to your onward transport. Its usually less than your hotel/apartment to the lifts or equally hanging around a hire shop and then lugging them back to your holiday digs past all the smug gits enjoying themselves who don't have mess about with the hire shop. Anyway most people take 20kgs of clothes they never wear, just in case, together with other assorted crap that weighs a ton and is never used. My wife's favourite is a hairdryer and accompaniments which weighs more than my boots, travel ones are crap apparently and you never know whether the one at the accom will be any good - hardly ever used!!

i still hire for the odd day when i want something special but entering a hire shop on change over day is a terrible way to start a holiday. Even if you have booked the skis you want, you may be disappointed - particularly from the cheaper operators who assess your ability to flex a ski by holding it five feet away from you look up and down and then pass it across with a flourish, parfait. Because you can also change skis everyday there is also a tendency to try out several different skis, rather than working on your technique.

I think you did the right thing in getting the boots, its a shame many people who don't have issues with hire boots don't do the same as i think it made the biggest difference in my skiing and some times its hard to get people to understand that. I'm not saying go without lessons, what i am saying is that it gave me much better feel and i could the fully understand what my instructor was telling me to do/feel for. Here's the rub and at this point you may decide that skiing is a really expensive hobby but really its the same as any other sport or past time. As you improve your technique will outgrow your new skiny boots and you will need smaller tighter fitting ones and i think this is what people are referring to when they say you will outgrow your skis.

In my humble opinion you will need new boots before you really need new skis, wanting new skis is a whole different ball game. As such i am going to recommend something really unfashionable - get a second hand pair of piste or race inspired carvers and practice your technique on piste. Have lessons and build the skills you need to become a competent skier. Do you think Tiger Woods changed his clubs everyday when he was learning to play golf, then why do so many people turn up for lessons with skis they are not used to? Why add another variable to the process especially when it is one of feel, feed back and balance. If you were learning to slack line i don't think you would turn up one day in trainers, the next in platforms and then heels? It's all about balance so using the same ski when you are beginning does help.

Finally, the skis in the volume / cheap hire shops are facsimiles of the real thing (see scott mission thread), they usually haven't been waxed that well and have blunt edges as that is what their cliental prefer. Then the client will say they have been spending the week on some race fishers, but really its like driving a mondeo with a ferrari body kit and thinking you now know what it feels like to drive a ferrari.

Don't go nuts, just pick up some nice skis for £100 to £300 depending on whether they are second hand or new, spend some time on them, have some lessons and in a couple of years you'll be skiing like the best of them.

good luck.

Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

don't believe what anyone says about how its only worth buying boots if you ski more than 3 weeks a year!

Sack the Juggler, indeed, but I don't think anybody on snowheads has ever said that.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

don't believe what anyone says about how its only worth buying boots if you ski more than 3 weeks a year!

Sack the Juggler, indeed, but I don't think anybody on snowheads has ever said that.

Embarassed Oops, quite right Pam!
snow conditions
Don't know if I'm going off topic or not, but it is probably pertinent to other snowheads too.

I live on an island so I have to get a taxi to local airport, fly to the uk, sometimes stay overnight, sometimes transfer between airports for next flight onto alps and then a train or bus journey to the resort, then taxi to the hotel.

So I've always considered it would be too much of a faff and probably expensive to haul a ski bag along with me, but it seems quite a few snowheads are ok with doing this, so I have two questions for you;

1) do all airlines have a "ski bag" or sports bag option, and if so how much does it cost per flight (considering that I will need to get at least two flights).

2) how easy is it really to drag ski bags everywhere with you, on taxis, trains, planes, etc? I remember getting the sleeper train to Are, in sweden and when we arrived some groups really struggled getting all their bags and ski bags together to get off at Are, and they were blocking everyone else getting off as no one could pass in the corridors as we were all just stuck between the groups, which made those struggling with their bags even more stressed even though others were offering to help
snow report
most airlines allow you to carry skis even ryanair, but some cost more. on the whole i try to use swiss, but easyjet and jet2 have been ok and prices aren't that much especially if you use your allowance wisely. there is plenty on here about allowances. if a couple of you are travelling try sharing a ski bag.

i have a big TNF roller bag and usually take two sets of skis in it and my wife has a separate bag. we've never had any problems travelling around on the continent and have taken several trains and taxis. zurich to st anton or engleberg are pleasant train journeys with skis and a nice way to arrive in resort. the first time was a bit nerve racking i was up and down checking bags but its a waste of time. get into the spirit, have a beer, and do what the locals do, i.e. leave the bag - you will usually find a few places where a few are stacked. if someone needs a hand give them a hand usually one will be forthcoming to you when you are getting on and off.

we've also been to japan and although the tube there is extremely busy it wasn't too much hassle even though you aren't supposed to take large luggage on the tube at rush hour - tourists eh!!. taxi's there were fine and so was the bullet.

i think the stress thing is subjective as i can get stressed getting to the airport on time, but my better half luckily is more laid back and takes it in her stride.

if you can take your own skis i think its worth it, even if the travel costs equal the rental.
snow report
Mt, keep an eye out for deals too - last year I got free ski carriage on Jet2 booking before the end of October. Should imagine other operators do similar.
snow report
I will add my humble opinion for what it is worth.

Myself and the three others that i regularly ski with ( wife, her sister and her sisters OH ). We are all in our late 40's. We came to skiing relatively late in life ( 1999 ). Initially we skiid one week a year, We did a mixture of self drive and fly. After two seasons we bought our own boots, which have been changed and upraated over the years. About 5 years ago we started going 2-3 times a year and always drive.

This year (2012) we went twice to France, trips were 5 weeks apart. On the second trip we all hired different ski's. We all spent the first day moaning that we didn't like the skiis we got from the hire shop. However we stuck with them and by day two loved them rolling eyes

At the first beer/vin chaud stop Madeye-Smiley a discussion along the lines of " why dont we buy ski's at the end of this season in the sales, as we are hiring 2-3 times a year at anything between £150-£200 a season. plus we would then have a ski we were used too and after 2 seasons they would pay for themselves".

So in late March 2012 we have just all 4 of us bought our first set of skiis, our choice of ski was aided by the knoweledge of hiring and trying different skiis since 1999.

For what its worth i bought some Dynastar Outland 80.s reduced to £249 from £399 in Decathlon Madeye-Smiley Time will tell if choice was right, but i am not half madly like a kid at Christmas waiting to hit the slopes for this season Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
No, don't buy skis just yet. Particularly as you have to travel far for skiing. At this stage of your skiing career any beginner carver in appropriate length would do and rental shops in resorts will have plenty of those, not much point in dragging alone your own. I will agree with those saying that lessons are far better investment at the moment. Get some skills and mileage under your belt and buy then.
snow report
If yo can sort out the logistics, buy a set of suitable second-hand skis. You will then have eliminated a significant variable and can concentrate on technique. We used Skis2U.co.uk to ship our skis door to door last year. Cheaper than airline and much less hassle.
snow conditions
Quote:

A couple of people told me its not worth it because my abilities will quickly out grow the skis, and I will be changing them regularly. Is this true at my level? Should I wait till I'm an intermediate?

Yes. Basically until you can really tell the difference between skis and know the style you want, don't buy. And unless you go a minimum of two weeks, you're probably better off hiring and you get to try different skis.

Or just buy some Rossignol B2s. (Ignore that btw. It's an in joke amongst the old but not that old farts, which is most of us).
snow report
Thanks for all the replies! I forgot to check the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' so wasn't aware anyone had replied.

So the general consensus is....

1. If I don't ski much its probably not worth it.
2. I probably wont save anything (this isn't really an issue)
3. Wait until I'm more experienced.

Skis2U.co.uk looks excellent, I think this might be my answer.
snow conditions
Quote:

Skis2U.co.uk looks excellent, I think this might be my answer

On the basis that you are going to France, otherwise not much use! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nick9one1, OK, in this case if cost is not a factor and you don't mind the faff, then get yourself a pair of skis:) Personally, I bought the full kit before my first time skiing and it served me really well for 5 years, even as I outgrew it after the second year (I ski 40+ days a year) but for some time I looked at skiing as mostly a fun past-time with friends and skis - a means to help it and I believed that skis was something you buy to last a life-time. It is not, you are buying skis, not marrying them, once you feel they become too easy, too soft and too slow - change, upgrade like you upgrade your mobile or PC! But beware that buying skis is as addictive as skiing itself:) If you know a good ski store with personnel knowing their stuff you may want to talk to them and just go with whatever they put you on. I did this with my first and second pairs and it worked really well both times. It will be more effective than trying to figure out yourself the best ski for you and then looking for it in stores. Maybe you can find the store that does this rent-to-buy thing where you rent a new pair of skis for the season and after season ends end you have an option to buy it at a discount or return as you would normal rentals.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy