Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Honeymoon - Paris - Val D Isere - lech

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So locations are finally set in stone. Exact dates are almost confirmed as is accommodation.

Married in Ireland 2nd january.

Fly dublin to Paris 4th January

Sleeper train to Bourg st maurice monday night of the 7th
Val D "Isere 8th to 15th

Bus to Geneva, then train to Langen am Arlberg via Zurich. Taxi from station to Lech

Lech 15th to 22nd

Cant wait!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-07-12 1:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a lot of timetables which won't be available that far in advance. You might well find more options closer to the time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cubanpete, no flights from Lyon to anywhere suitable?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
maybe book a private airport transfer from Val D'isere to Geneva (an hour?) - then get the train to zurich (three hours?) , then the train from zurich to Langen am Arlberg direct (2 hours), then taxi to the resort? (20 mins?)

You could fly from geneva to zurich which might save an hour or so travel time but only if you time it right and don't forget your checking in time.

Not sure what time the trains stop running though, best checking the last train times to Langen am Arlberg but doubt you'll be able to do it over night.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you thought of driving?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had thought about suggesting driving, but there is that added faff of car hire and stuff. I suppose picking up a car at BsM would make things easier. Stil a 7 hr drive from Val D to lech tho. Do car-hire companies have an issue with the car crossing borders?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef, might be more difficult for a one way rental to do so, but we have hired cars in Italy and spent all of our holiday in France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cubanpete, like others have mentioned the timetables probably haven't been released for 2013 yet. I've always used this site for all rail travel to Austria http://www.oebb.at/en/ and have found from past experience that it is a long and complicated journey with lots of changes if you try to use regional trains from BSM or Moutiers. I've found the quickest thing to do is to get myself to Geneva Airport and jump on the train from there. Sometimes I've had 1 change and on other occassions 2 on that route (going on to Landeck) but I haven't travelled overnight. Those journeys have been between anywhere between approx 5H30-6H45. Then you'd be looking at a private taxi up to Lech unless there is a Postbus service running?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Eh, can I come?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all for the input!

As some have said getting to Geneva does seem the key here. Unless I want to spend time changing trains several times throughout the night its not an option.

While I have thought about driving I really dont want the stress. Being Australian I drive on the opposite site of the road and have limited driving experience in winter and never in the alps. Would much rather sit back and look out the window of a train ive decided:)

While unable to see the timetable for the dates I can currently find a train from Genevea to Langen am Arlberg in november that leaves at 15.45 and arrives at 20.49. Will just get a taxi from there. Will take just over 5hrs with one change in Zurich which is really good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd get one of the transfer buses (or a taxi) from Val d'Isere to Geneva. The train is a pain (change in Chambery usually as I recall) and you have to get the bus from Val d'Isere down to Bourg St Maurice anyway. There's a website somewhere that lets you get tenders from taxi companies for transfers- we found it quite useful last season and it was surprising how much variation there was in the quotes we got.

We've done train direct from Zurich Airport to Langen and it was very easy. Take a look at Swiss transfer tickets- this may get you from GVA to the Austrian border cheaper, I don't think they'll take you all the way to Langen though. The Swiss Travel Centre is very helpful.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris - Your right and will be catching the bus back to Geneva. Train to Langen sounds good as well.

Anyone who has not been to Lech should check the place out!! A few photos from our last trip

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val d'isere is a perfect place for honeymoon skiing, great atmosphere, perfect runs and lots of things to do in the evenings! Congrats for your choice!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy