Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Too many lenses to choose from...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We're coming to Morzine for the winter as chalet hosts and are now fighting our way through the reams and reams of information as to what we should be buying. We're now onto sunglasses and goggles. I'm one of those people who does far too much research into these things, and I now find myself stumped by the choices - I had no idea there were going to be so many...

I have a pair of 3 year old Oakley Flak Jackets with a gold polarized lens which I bought for mountaineering and general sports use, but they are getting pretty worn now although should be ok for a while. I also have a pair of Bloc mountaineering goggles (about £40), which have a yellowy double lens. Both of these are decent. The Oakelys are great in bright light and are ok in flat light although they are a bit dark really and you do lose some of the contrast - skiing through woods on trails in March was ok, but I wouldn't have a chance off-pisting in them in low light conditions.

But, in blustery conditions with low light I would always wear the goggles anyway. The goggles are decent enough, but have no fancy iridium/polarized/mirror lenses. They are what I wear to stop spin drift annoying me when I'm roped to a mountain somewhere. They are ok in flat light but really, I am not convinced anything will stop you catching an edge in really poor light conditions. Anyway, I'm in the process of buying a new pair of 'something'.

From the research I have done and given that I think (not wearing them every day) my current Oakleys should last the season, I am planning on the following sunglass/goggle combo for the winter:

1. Buy a new pair of Oakley's with a black iridium polarized lens. These seem to cut a lot of the light out, sound great for bright light and dont alter colour and contrast. They also come in a frame that doesn't make me look like an insect and I have found them online with a 40% reduction, so are coming in at an OK price. I will use these for the remainder of the summer here too and for when we come back. They will be the 'around Morzine' pair, which I will also use to board in on the really bright nice sunny days.

2. When it is bright but I need to watch for contrast switch back to the Oakleys with the gold lens. I have used these skiing before and they are fine in bright light.

3. In poor conditions switch to the goggles to improve visibility.

So, my questions are as follows:

1. Am I doing the right thing? I'll be buying a pair of shades for the UK anyway, and from the research it sounds like the Oakleys with the black lens I am looking at will be decent enough for bright days in the Alps (only not looking at yellow/gold lenses as I have those in the current Oakleys anyway).
2. Should I be buying a new pair of goggles that will be good allrounders - given that I will be boarding most days (and am a beginner), perhaps I should be avoiding shades altogether? Similarly, I have only ever been to the Alps in March/April, where it has been warm and bright. In Dec/Jan/Feb I am expecting goggles to be more the order of the day and therefore wondering whether I should be getting a decent pair of A-Frames or something, given that my Bloc ones are very much entry level? and if yes, which is the best all round lens colour?

There is just too much choice for me... Thanks in advance for you guidance Happy

Kanda
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh dear, that was more text than I was expecting. Thanks to those who take the time to read it...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear my goggles with my helmet all the time. The lenses seem good enough for all conditions. I've got a pair of Bolle sunglasses which I wear at lunchtimes and when I'm not skiing.

I think you're overthinking it. Sunglasses is one thing there'll be no shortage of in resort if you find you need to buy a new pair.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ha, yes, I have a habbit of overthinking these things...

Have had problems with my eyes in the past though so always look into the best options for shades.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just carry two pairs of goggles now. One for pair for bright light and one pair for flat and I don't use sunglasses much anymore. It's also been great on a couple of occations swopping goggles when one pair gets really misted up and full of snow Embarassed

You could stick with what you already have and do that too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would always you goggles as they are much better for impact protection that sunglasses, my girlfriend got here ski poles against here face so hard it broke the lens but kept her face in one piece:)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kanda, I have 2 pairs of Oakley A Frame goggles, one with Polarised persimmon lenses in which is my usual default pair, and I carry around in my rucksack a like pair of goggles either fitted with flat light yellow, or polarised hi intensity yellow/ blue tint depending on whats most likely, ie getting brighter or failing light as described in the forecast. The 3rd lens I just carry loose in a soft bag. I used to mess about changing lenses whilst out but now just swap goggles if I have a face plant or the light changes dramatically, the latter which is pretty rare, it is usually pretty consistent over the day.

I also take out a pair of sunglasses for sunny lunch spots, but never ski in them these days, I much prefer the peripheral viz that goggles provide, plus they are warmer!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
50% off goggles @ freezepro shop in Edinburgh, apparently, right now. Both online and in store. There may be other sales on in other stores, but half price Oakleys seemed a reasonably good deal to me.

Just got a friend to pick me up a new pr of Oakley's (just worked out that mine were 12 yrs old). Black with persimmon lens of course.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kanda,
Goggles:
You need some types of yellowish lenses.
Make sure they have 100% UV protection
Get some that feel comfortable.
Make sure the goggles have good size vents

Some goggles have inter-changeable lenses (never used em but seems a good idea)
If you get these get one lenses with a lower VLT (around 15 to 25) and one with higher VTL (between around 70 or there abouts)
If you only get one lens then get something with a VTL of between 40 to 70

Everything is marketing hype or quasi-scientific rubbish.

Sunglasses:
Get whatever you want and use the goggles when you're skiing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kanda, or just buy some Bolle Modulators. VTL of 15-65% in one photochromic lens for all light conditions at a very sensible price. Why people mess about carrying different lenses/sunglasses combos is beyond me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Two pair of goggles or goggles with interchangeable lenses. I also have photochromatic Zeal goggles that change their colour according to the conditions, but they are a bit of compromise, they are not as great for really bright conditions and not the best for the low light situations. The most important though is to protect your eyes against really bright sunshine that can do serious damage, as you won't get a second pair should something happen. Flat-light is getting more manageable the more you ski as you develop a feel for what's under your skis, so good protection should be a priority. Mirror lenses have an anti-glare effect, and will be better than lenses without mirror effect. The same goes for polarized lenses as they improve depth perception in both bright and flat light.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raceplate wrote:
or just buy some Bolle Modulators. VTL of 15-65% in one photochromic lens for all light conditions at a very sensible price. Why people mess about carrying different lenses/sunglasses combos is beyond me.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ???

Maybe - if you like em buy em.

But keep in mind that they will get darker if it's colder (just the way the physics works - sorry). So on a cold afternoon at the end of a day’s skiing you may have a few problems as the reduction in UV will not be matched by the reduction in vis-light.
Also
Don't forget that they work on UV (not on visible light) so on a hazy day when you want to be able to see more they will get darker. The same effect can be seen when you're a "cloud-shadow"; the UV increase (so you're goggles get darker) but the visible light reduces,

QED - not really a good idea.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, I did buy them, I've used them in all lights and I do like them.

Wayne, neversummer, I used to have 3 pairs of sunglasses with grey, vermillion and yellow lenses for bright, variable and low light and amber goggles. The goggles don't shield your eyes enough in bright light and dark/variable sunglasses mist up in very cold conditions. Vermillion lenses are crap in very low light. Yellow lenses blind you if the sun breaks through the clouds. Every morning was an exercise in looking out the window and deciding which combination to take for the day.

I ski mainly across the 3V's where morning sunshine in one valley can be afternoon snow and low vis in another. Early season is always low light in late afternoon. Carrying multiple lensed goggles or sunglasses and changing them on the lift several times a day is a total PITA. For me, the small compromise of using a photochromic lens that may not be the absolute best (but is still very good) in every single light condition far outweighs the compromise of either having to constantly swap eyewear or having totally the wrong lens for the changing conditions.

QED - Excellent Idea

Also, to address the OP's original question, "Should I be buying a new pair of goggles that will be good allrounders - given that I will be boarding most days (and am a beginner), perhaps I should be avoiding shades altogether? " - Bolle Modulators would make an excellent choice for that scenario.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a thing about flat light, and posted my hunt for goggle lenses to cope with it here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71722#1685468

I can now report back on how the lenses functioned which might help this thread.

I ended up with Oakley Persimmons, the Scott Amplifier black chrome and in the finish I sprung for an Oakley Hi Yellow for the Stokholms too.

We had some tough weather this year, loads of low cloud and flat light with just occasional bluebird days. Initially I placed my trust in the Oakley Hi Yellows from all their good write ups, and thought they were doing OK in the low light stuff, but they were hopeless if any degree of light came through. In the finish I got the Scotts out. I have to say that I liked their amplifier black chrome lens. It coped adequately with any brighter breakthroughs in the weather, but despite them being visibly darker than the Hi Yellow Oakleys I would say they out-performed them in the low and flat light conditions and I think the Scotts will be my first choice in the future. They were certainly a lens that was dark enough for bright conditions, but they are really excellent performers in low light, in my opinion outperforming the much praised Oakley hi yellows, and I wouldn't have expected them to be.

For the record, I wear prescription sunnies if I can, but spent much of this year's holidays in contacts and goggles.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 6-08-12 21:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy wrote:
50% off goggles @ freezepro shop in Edinburgh, apparently, right now. Both online and in store. There may be other sales on in other stores, but half price Oakleys seemed a reasonably good deal to me.

Just got a friend to pick me up a new pr of Oakley's (just worked out that mine were 12 yrs old). Black with persimmon lens of course.

Excellent - half price A frames and Giro helmet now bought
ski holidays
kanda, you're a boarder. Just put a bag on your head. Problem solved. wink Very Happy
latest report
I've only ever needed a good pair of sunglasses for Sunny conditions (Bolle or Oakley) with plenty of wrap around to stop sun reflecting up and around the lenses and a pair of goggles for flat light, yellow/orange or red lenses all help with flat light, in theory the red should give greater contrast but I've also found they can be darker than other lenses meaning less light transmission on a cloudy day so I prefer a yellow/orange lens that said some of the odd colors from Bolle have given good results for me in the past, oh and always carry a soft lens cloth to keep the goggles clean
snow conditions
The Oakley Store at Gunwarf in Porstmouth are selling Oakley Airbrakes for £140, that's down from an rrp of £200. Expensive yes, but pretty good for two lenses that take less than 30 seconds to swap over.
snow report
I have the Adidas sun glasses and goggles, they have interchangeable lens for different light conditions and can take a correcting lens if you need that too. Plus they look cool Wink If you are still looking suggest you check them out too.
ski holidays
Highly recommend Kaenon lenses.... the copper especially, as the contrast is excellent - always found a copper lens to suit skiing really well, and much better in flat light than a grey lens.

Keanon lenses are all polarised, which is also wonderful - possibly the best polarised lenses available.

I've got the C28 copper lens, prescription, fitted to a pair of Oakley Straight Jacket frames (none of the Kaenon frames fit me) - great for driving also, and worn for golf in the sun (in Thailand) and were just fine first thing when it was grey, overcast and drizzling rain... was still 28 degC though.

Possibly the C28 might be a little too 'light', there's a darker C12 available.

Keanon won't themselves fit their lenses into Oakley and others... but a decent optician who uses a quality lab for their lenses will be able to do it for you.

Transitions lenses are only just now available in photochromic WITH polarisation.... only in the grey lens so far though. Have a set of them in Trivex material in a regular pair of glasses - the polarisation only occurs once the lenses is activated/darkened - so no issues indoors with LCD screens etc.
ski holidays
Just my 2 pence worth - I have 1 pair of Oakley A Frames and 2 interchangeable lenses. Iridium fire (non-polarised) for bright sunny days and a Persimmon lens for flat light. It takes a few seconds to change the lens and the spare lens sits in my jacket goggle pocket. Wear goggles with helmet all the time (no gapers in this house wink ). They are excellent.
latest report
Oh dear ................ bet your punters will just love u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
I just have two pairs of A frames. persimmon for low light, red iridium for bright. to be honest I can ski in either of them, just like to make life easier and as I wear a small pack it's no hassle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy