Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finding good-looking high sun protection (SPF) clothes for summer or really SUNNY WINTER DAYS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anybody got recommendations about where to find high sun-protection clothing/shirts in the UK?
Stuff that actually looks alright.
I've tried some of the Craghopper UPF 40+ shirts from Cotswolds etc.
But they're deadly dull and ugly.

Cheers!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-07-12 21:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure what the benefit of UPF clothing ratings are - I mean, yes it tells you the protection rating but even thin fabrics offer a protection rating of over 20, and that means you can stay out in the sun at least 20 times longer if you are wearing them - and this should be more than enough.

To put it another way factor 50 effectively reduces the UVA to 2% of the natural light, and factor 20 reduces it to 5%, so factor 20 is taking out 95% of the UVA and factor 50 is taking out 98% - there isn't much difference to be honest, especially if you walk around.

When i go sailing in the caribbean or skiing in the sun I wear P20, which is only factor 20, but I just put it on in the morning and forget about it because it doesn't wash off and I don't burn. So its only those that wash off either through swimming or sweating that need to be reapplied.

So, I guess I saying, just get clothing or shirts that you like - they will be almost as good, if not as good, as those clothes that are UPF rated.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try http://www.rohan.co.uk
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Sack the Juggler said...
So, I guess I saying, just get clothing or shirts that you like - they will be almost as good, if not as good, as those clothes that are UPF rated.

Oops, my bad! I think you're right, Sack-the-Juggler.
I knew about the SPF thing for sun-cream, so rather embarassed I did not draw the same conclusion on the clothing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And this os a ski or snow related question? Puzzled Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Have taken the bait and modified subject to allow for pedantic conformity Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SPF clothing is just clothing that meets certain standards and uses certain fabrics. That doesn't mean that non-SPF rated clothes are any worse.

Things to consider in designing SPF clothing are...

denier of the fabric or weave structure
cut of the design to protect vulnerable areas (e.g. often find SPF shirts have slightl higher collars than normal 'summer' shirts)
ventilation : are any vents still suitably protected

Some more info on the 'requirements' of SPF clothing are in the wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_protective_clothing

Note : cottons, linens and other 'heavier' fabrics don't require any special treatments. So chose your clothing wisely and it won't matter if it has the SPF badge or not.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy