Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wingsuit death in Chamonix.

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.lemessager.fr/Actualite/Faucigny/2012/07/23/article_messager_1606765.shtml
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. Only a matter of time, I suppose, till something like this happened. I wonder if the two accidents were linked? e.g. mid-air collision.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure why this is a snow sport. Wink

This is the exit and will give you some idea of how dodgy it is (cable just after jumping etc):
BroBraVent from MikeSteen.com
http://vimeo.com/45779572
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Brevent cable,...did anyone else experience this cable car back in the early 80's before h&s, and the operator who used to delight in opening the doors before it cleared the sheer drop ? Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
meh wrote:
Not sure why this is a snow sport. Wink

This is the exit and will give you some idea of how dodgy it is (cable just after jumping etc):
BroBraVent from MikeSteen.com
http://vimeo.com/45779572

No, not really snowsport, but the links between the communities are strong enough that two of the three wingsuiters in your video have ties with us (and the third for all I know is a skier too). Matt Gerdes is one of our pro riders and Mike Steen is our US distributor. Don't know if that proves the relevance of the OP, but hey we've got to talk about something in July, we can't all be in the southern hemisphere or skinning up PAV.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That sounded a little flippant, given the news in the OP. So what I should have said (and do feel) is that my sympathies go out to the families and friends of those involved in the accidents.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker, I meant from the point of view that it's odd for this to be here in this forum section (about competitive snowsports) not that there isn't a connection between people who fly wingsuits and snowsports in general. Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh wrote:
midgetbiker, I meant from the point of view that it's odd for this to be here in this forum section (about competitive snowsports) not that there isn't a connection between people who fly wingsuits and snowsports in general. Smile

Ah, yes I understand now, I just came in from the homepage and never looked at the category.

Just spoke to a mate from Chamonix and he hadn't heard about the death and his reaction was he didn't know wingsuiters jumped off from Brevent. Well a month ago they didn't.

Apparently it was opened up by a French crew earlier this month, then the guys from the clip grabbed it while it was fresh, and now the fatality. So we'll have to see what the future of wingsuiting off Brevent is now. It is France and they are not keen on telling folks what they should or shouldn't do in the mountains, personal responsibility is the watchword.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.chamonet.com/events/news/fatal-wingsuit-accident-on-the-brevent-chamonix.html
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That sport must have one of the highest risk:reward ratios going...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like the Mairie has banned wingsuit flying off the Brevent:

http://www.chamonet.com/events/news/chamonix-bans-wingsuit-jumps.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
Looks like the Mairie has banned wingsuit flying off the Brevent:

http://www.chamonet.com/events/news/chamonix-bans-wingsuit-jumps.html

This I don't get... was climbing banned after someone died falling from a mountain and putting other mountain users at risk?

As above, it's a very high risk/reward sport and I know there's lots of other launch sites available but to ban it after one death is a bit premature... imo.

Condolences to friends and families of the Norwegian dude Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matt from the clip above has just told me that he thinks the ban off Brevent is temporary, I can't see any indication of that in the Chamonet piece above but I guess time will tell.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a problem of cohabitation with wingsuiters and paragliders at the Brevent that needs studying. In the Dauphine Libere article (which I assume Chamonet cribs from) the mayor explains that his team need time to evaluate the dangers.

That said, temporary bans are sometimes hard to lift, if there is another death following the lifting of the ban is the town hall legally responsible. They mayor would also be liable if, following complaints from paragliders, there is a death due to a mid air collision.

The same arguments could be made for skiing or climbing but in this case we have a route opened by a relatively new sport followed very quickly by two accidents.
ski holidays
How the heck do you learn this sport, it's not as if you can make a mistake or two is it???
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
How the heck do you learn this sport, it's not as if you can make a mistake or two is it???

Start by parachuting. You need 50 drops before most wingsuit schools will take you on.
latest report
Quote:

cohabitation with wingsuiters and paragliders

this has to be a valid consideration. Paragliding is very popular in France - and must account for a major pouring of resources into local economies. It's prudent, rather than not, to consider carefully whether both can safely share the same small bit of airspace.

Quote:

It is France and they are not keen on telling folks what they should or shouldn't do in the mountains

well they did "close Mont Blanc" and forbid all access some years ago, because of very dangerous summer conditions.

Also French sailing is considerably more heavily regulated than is the case here in the UK - I don't think you can assume that the French will always rely on "personal responsibility" if accident rates in one minority activity threaten to cause problems elsewhere.
snow report
kitenski, Laughing

Looks like the ultimate thrill, and a brilliant buzz, and very sad for the person killed, but a tad dangereuse n'est ce-pas? - think I'll give it a miss, life insurance payouts might just be null and void eh??!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

well they did "close Mont Blanc" and forbid all access some years ago, because of very dangerous summer conditions.

and Mont Blanc is closed to paragliders during the summer too.

Markymark29 wrote:
a tad dangereuse n'est ce-pas?

It does seem to be. This is not the only wingsuit death in the Mont Blanc area over the last couple of years and a number of deaths elsewhere in France. Not forgetting the guys in wheelchairs.

We've finally got a sport that goes beyond the hype and bull and really is extreme.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 25-07-12 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Quote:

It is France and they are not keen on telling folks what they should or shouldn't do in the mountains

Also French sailing is considerably more heavily regulated than is the case here in the UK - I don't think you can assume that the French will always rely on "personal responsibility" if accident rates in one minority activity threaten to cause problems elsewhere.

Indeed you can't rely on it as was proved by the Mayor putting the ban in place very soon after my questioning what the future for wingsuits off Brevent would be. I stand by my assertion though that the French don't like to lay down too many restrictions in the mountains and that the circumstances have to be extreme before they do. This may well be an example of such an extreme situation, whether in and of itself or in it's potential conflict with other interests, and I honestly don't fully know where I stand in the argument for and against allowing Brevent as a wingsuit route.
snow report
http://www.lineprod.ch/geraldine/news-geraldine/252-1er-saut-du-sommet-des-drus

Somebody ain't bothered.
ski holidays
CH2O, Doesn't the by-law only ban the jumps from AdM & Brevent?

If it was the by-law you meant they weren't bothered about (as opposed to the risks of wingsuit flying).
latest report
Loosely both, this has been seen as a "poke in the eye" to the Mairie's stance on the issue, albeit side stepping the by law. I find the whole thing a little cold and selfish right now.
snow report
guess there's a decent chance they won't bump into any gendarmes at the top of the Dru!
snow conditions
most, if not all of these folk are BASE jumpers, not really too bothered by the authorities standpoint
snow conditions
Quote:

I find the whole thing a little cold and selfish right now

sorry, am confused - who's cold and selfish?
latest report
Arno,
Quote:

guess there's a decent chance they won't bump into any gendarmes at the top of the Dru!

No just wack them on the head with a rock as they're collecting the last unfortunate 2000mts below.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a good interview on this on EpicTV:

https://vimeo.com/46456423

Roch comes across very well in this and probably puts to bed some peoples stereotypes of wingsuiters as deranged nutters who don't give a **** for authority.

As for the Drus jump the ban is only effective from Brevent & Midi (ie lift served exits).
(and as for the 'cold and selfish' bit I don't see too many people stopping skiing when there is a fatality on the piste...(as just one example) ).

As a bonus there is a section of interview with Sandy Allan on his recent Mazeno ridge exploit - worth watching for any mountaineers out there...
ski holidays
The Epic interview is a perfect remedy to the current situation, well done them.
ski holidays
http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2012/08/08/nouvel-accident-en-wingsuit-un-homme-porte-disparu-depuis-mardi

Interesting that the Brevent was opened by flyers from outside the valley.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy