Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

christmas in flachau anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
hi

has anyone spent christmas week in flachau before? thinking of heading there this year, any atmosphere? very crowded?
we've never skied austria before either, usually stick to Italy so have no idea what its like??!
thanks all
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cbowls30, We had christmas in Wagrain, just around the corner, 7 months ago. It was excellent. The slopes were quiet at Xmas but got much busier towards New Year. Wagrain was nuch quieter than Flachau. That said, you can ski out of Flachau from the top lift.

We had a magnificent time and ventured to Flachau, Flachuawinkle, Zauchensee, Alpendorf & Kleinarl, all using the easy bus service or by skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ah, ok, sounds promising then, we've reserved a pension with breakfast but we are a bit worried about lack of snow at christmas, so if it turns out there is a lack of the stuff we will just cancel the week before and go somewhere else last minute........ thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cbowls30, you won't have to worry... Been here for 6 seasons and Flachau has always had slopes open at Xmas!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cbowls30, Out of interest, where have you booked? I went out on 14th December last year - plenty of snow then (although I was a bit worried the week before), but as always in the mountains, you never know....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cbowls30, was there in March so can't comment on Xmas but really liked the area. Make sure you explore Zauchensee.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx,
we are booked in the pension larchenhof??? good deal for 7 nights B&B.........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cbowls30, 55 euros per night, per person B&B? I don't know about the price as I compete with self catering apartments for 4, e.g. Xmas week in my apartment is 884 euros (32 euros per person per night), less discount for snowheads. The Pension looks very nice and its in a great location for the Acherjet lift (about 200 mtrs behind my place). You'll have a great time!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry, are you saying that's expensive or cheap!?? sorry -- bit confused???!?? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cbowls30, I don't know how much B&B costs in Flachau, so I don't know whether it is cheap or not. I do know that it looks a good quaility B&B in a great location for the main lift. I suppose you'll only know if it represents good value to you if you compare it to other B&Bs in the area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, not a bad position either to beat any crowds at the Achter by nipping across to the Space Jet 1 lift. nice location for staggering back from the Dampfkessel as well Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, Indeed, good call
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cbowls30, I think that in the Ski Amade, for a well placed B&B, an average price would be €40 ish. Any dates before the 25th seem to be €43 per night which isn't bad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, per person?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, per person?
of course Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

55 euros per night, per person B&B? I don't know about the price as I compete with self catering apartments for 4, e.g. Xmas week in my apartment is 884 euros (32 euros per person per night), less discount for snowheads.

looking at that comparison, it seems a bit of a no-brainer. Even sharing the apartment just between 2 (and it's presumably a bit cheaper the week before Christmas) you get more space and the opportunity to fix yourselves simple meals if you wish, prepare sandwiches for a picnic on the mountain when weather permits, have your own ice and mixers etc in the fridge for an aperitif, etc etc - at a very similar price.
latest report
pam w, You can do more than fix simple meals in my place wink seriously though remember I only have pull down beds not a proper bedroom so if that's important to folk they will always choose a hotel/B&B over my place. The super/mega price for snowheads is 750 euros for the week so if anyone is not already a super/mega it is still worth stumping up the contribution to the site as the saving is worth much more than that.

The price the week before Christmas is 497 euros, again with disount for snowheads - see signature (pimping over....)
latest report
holidayloverxx, I fancy a ski holiday now wink
ski holidays
flangesax, LOL Laughing
snow report
flangesax, me too - but NZ looks too expensive and South America too dangerous as well as too expensive Laughing
ski holidays
Austria is very low to have snow at that time of the year................................

(sorry I can´t help myself sometimes)
STOP TELLING EVERYONE TO COME HERE FOR GOODNESS SAKE rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
Quote:

You can do more than fix simple meals in my place

yes, I realise that - I remember seeing the impressive inventory! I was just thinking that if someone was comparing B & B with renting an apartment they'd probably want to eat out in evenings, but could still have their favourite kind of breakfast, and a simple lunch break, apres ski tea and cake etc. AND have all the choice of evening eateries as you would with B & B.

I just thought that given the price quoted for B & B an apartment seemed better value - when every cup of tea or coffee, and everything else, is otherwise bought at hotel/restaurant/bar prices.
ski holidays
pam w, indeed - I did put a winkie smiley. I much prefer an apartment e.g. EoSB vs PSB arrangements - but I do book both. I suppose it depends on the whole package of what you are looking for and what is most important.

Anyway, if all goes to plan and finances, this time next year I hope to have a proper separate bedroom - fingers crossed Very Happy
latest report
kooky,

I'm going to Switzerland for Christmas - anybody else coming? There, is that better?

Then we're off to Austria in Feb. when the snow has finally fallen on those low lying hillocks, but don't tell anybody wink
latest report
musher, no snow in Feb and there is a special supplement all all tea and coffee in Austrian B'n'B's that week too!
ski holidays
flangesax,

Just as well it's an hotel then Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy