Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some broad questions - Would appreciate any advice.

Poster: A snowHead
Howdy,

Me and my other half are skiers at low end of the 'intermediate' spectrum. We went to Cervinia, Italy for the 1st week of Feb last winter (2012) and it was fantastic! The snow was great in the early part of the week and we got lucky with relatively low winds the whole time. It was cold of course! We went with Crystal Ski on one of their Ski+ packages. It was pretty pricey but it meant we had very little to organise when we arrived which was a bonus.

We've both improved now and we're feeling a little braver than we were last year. For this reason we're trying to break away from Ski+ packages and look for something cheaper albeit with more organisation on our part. We both agree that the main priorities are 1) Snow 2) Proximity to decent lifts 3) Good variety of blue & red runs 4) Quietish slopes. While it would be nice to have a good apartment/hotel/chalet we're not really that bothered as long as its clean and functional. Catering can be of any kind, whether it's DIY or full board.

We would like to go to Cervinia again but the prices seem to have increased a lot this year. We were looking at La Thuile but would appreciate some opinions on how it might compare to other Alpine resorts. We're planning on going first week in March this time although first week in Feb is also OK. Like I said, snow is the #1 priority. I've had a few 'icey/grass sticking through piste' holidays in March in years gone by and we both want to avoid that again.

I know this is an incredibly broad question which is why I posted all the commentary above, to give an idea of who we are/what we're looking for.

So, where in Europe has a good balance of snow (altitude)/price/relatively quiet slopes in either first week Feb or first week March? Also, who & should we book it through and when should we book it? Is summer a bad time to book?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
popej, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

La Thuile isn't a bad choice to be honest if you're after some cruisey blues and reds - plenty of options. A decent snow record IIRC and quite a bit North-facing, so should hold the snow better/longer. You can ski down to the village from the main area. I managed in in the last week of the season a few years ago, although by the end water skis would have been an easier option Laughing

The other advantage to La Thuile is the option of crossing into France and skiing La Rosiere (if the link is open). Gives you more of a sense of travel. Many would probably say that going to La Thuile from La Ros is the benefit though Laughing

I'm not sure when the school hols are next year, but if you want quiet, then avoid like the plague - someone will probably confirm dates.

I've been tracking a few sites for prices recently, but haven't really seen many good deals yet - may be better to wait, possibly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Thuile would certainly be quiet. Given the size of the village and the extent of the slopes I can't imagine it ever being busy there. If you want proximity to lifts you would have to stay in the Planibel complex (either hotel or apartments). The rest of the accommodation is in the village centre which is a 15 min walk or bus ride away. Personally I found the village centre quite charming and the Planibel complex rather soulless and I was happy to use the equipment storage facilities in the lift base station. Most of the blue and red runs are easy, the blues are mostly quite flat, so it should suit intermediates in much the same way as Cervinia.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies folks.

Personally I'm worried about the snow coverage primarily and not that bothered by the cold. The other half feels the cold more though so that's why March is now a consideration. I think -35c on Plateau Rosa in Feb put her off a bit! NehNeh

I've heard that the Planibel Apartments in La Thuile are barely even self-catered? Ie,, basically no cooking facilities? We wouldn't mind avoiding having to eat out every night and are quite happy shopping in ski resort supermarkets. I take it that would mean a trip down into the village itself?

I was also looking at La Tania which I understand is wedged between Courcheval & Meribel? I've been to Meribel before and loved it despite lack of snow. I'm guessing a local lift pass for La Tania would mean Courcheval?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
popej, whereas I was in Cervinia at the end of Feb and the temperature was 18º and the snow was slush. There are no guarantees with weather!

I stayed in a small hotel in La Thuile village centre so my only experience of the Planibel complex was the two bars. There's also one supermarket, a ski hire shop, a couple of restaurants and a pizza takeaway. There are a few more shops in the village centre which are far more 'Italian' including a delicious café/patisserie called 'Chocolate'.

P.S. When I was in La Thuile it was March and the temperatures varied from -26 to +8 in one week. Parts of the ski area are very windy and exposed similar to Cervinia but the runs to resort are shelterered and tree-lined (but also some of the steepest in the area).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
popej, bear in mind there was an exceptional cold spell last winter. But later in March will clearly be warmer in general than Jan/early Feb.

Where are you located in the UK - how do you feel about driving? That can rule in or out a few ideas.

16th - 23rd Feb 2013 is UK half term.
16th Feb to 17th March is the French school holidays.

So go outside these dates if possible.

I don't know Cervinia, La Thuile too well. La Tania is good and yes it is in the Corucheval valley.

I wouldn't stay in a self catering facility without cooking facilities. Eating out every night makes for an expensive holiday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the further answers folks.

I'm personally leaning towards La Tania now having read some more reviews. I'm thinking that first week in Feb is a safer bet than first week in March? I figure that the tree lined Courcheval slopes and lower altitude (than Cervinia) means that March could get pretty poor if it's particuarly warm? I also assume it means even early Feb won't be anywhere near as cold as Cervinia at the same time.

Ta.

Edit: In fact I know it does as I've been to Meribel towards the end of March and the slopes got pretty poor at the end of the week.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 18-07-12 14:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
popej, La Tanie would also work (having been/stayed there too). The local ski pass should be more than adequate for your requirements, I would have thought. You can always take a 1-day extension if you're feeling more adventurous and wish to experience more of the 3Vs.

La Tania is quite compact as a "village" - plenty of accommodation options from SC, to hotels to Catered Chalets. I stayed with Crystal Ski when I went and had a pretty good experience on the whole. Chalet Jennifer IIRC - catered. About an 8 minute walk into town and you could ski to within about 150-200m on the way back. On the way down, skiing the drag lift route was doable...sort of Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia wrote:
. Most of the blue and red runs are easy, the blues are mostly quite flat, so it should suit intermediates.

Blue runs should not be flat, greens maybe, but flat blues are just hard work, and intermediates will be on the reds?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aye, we will probably go with Crystal as well. The Grand Bois apartments look alright but I believe it's based on 4 sharing, or if not a per adult supplement/night. Actually, now I mention it, presumably that supplement is only payable if you end up in a 4 person apartment on your own? I assume you don't pay it if you end up sharing with strangers?

Ta.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If there are less in your party than the per person price based on x people sharing then you will be charged a per person per night under occupancy charge. The can make quite a large difference to the price. Probably doesn't effect you but it annoyed me in the past when we had 4 people sharing but one was an infant we still got charged the under occupancy as they treated it as 3 in the room.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the reply.

I kinda assumed it would be on the same basis as a chalet. Ie, the tour company fills the chalet with x number of groups of strangers, thus the chalet is full to capacity and no supplement is paid.

a) Do you mean that if we book the 4-berth apartment for only 2 people then it'll remain half empty for the week with just me and my other half in it?

b) Or will the tour company attempt to fill the vacancy with two other strangers like they would with a chalet?

c) If they do fill it with two other strangers, thus filling it to capacity, do we still pay the supplement because we simply don't know the other people?

Confusing!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
popej, you will not be allocated strangers to share an apartment. If the apartment is under-occupied you will pay a supplement. Apartments are not like chalets, 4 berth often means one bedroom and two sofa beds in the 'lounge' area, it can even mean bunk beds in the hallway plus sofa beds in the 'lounge'. Each apartment will only have one bathroom and cooking facilities which can sometimes be as basic as a kettle and two cooking rings. Would you really want to share something like that with a stranger?

You would also be charged a supplement if you didn't fill a hotel or chalet room to capacity.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blahblahblah, there are no green runs in Italy, so blue runs can sometimes be rather flat. There are a few I can recall in La Thuile where you literally have to pole along.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, ahhh, I have not been to Italy so apologies.
snow report
Thanks for all the help folks.

We've plumped for La Tania with Crystal Ski + 02/02/13 > 09/02/13. Staying at the Grand Bois apartments.

I cannot wait. Damn this addiction!
snow conditions
popej, good choice, La Tania has the most beautiful tree-lined runs in the Courchevel valley imo. snowHead
snow report
popej, yep good choice, we were in La Tania last season and my lads seasonaire accommodation is in Grand Bois Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy