Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foul smelling hands and feet

Poster: A snowHead
After the first day of skiing, my gloves (and hands) start smelling. I know it's the bacteria breaking down the sweat which is causing the bad smell and the same applies to my boots and feet. Does anyone know of some sort of cream or gel I can apply prior to putting on my gloves, boots?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lox001, I've heard Vicks vapour rub is good.
latest report
 cran
cran
New gloves?

For the boots some boot heaters might help, it will at least dry them between uses. I'm guessing they don't smell once they are on... so not too much of a problem if you remember not to take them off in company.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lox001, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

Another recommendation for Vicks vapour rub. Also see this thread about ski boot liners : http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1987624
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy two pairs of boot liners, two or three pairs of newish gloves alternate the days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Microwave. Airing cupboard then freezer, repeat.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As you say, it's the bacteria that are causing the smell, so wash more often (hands and feet) to get rid of their food and use an antibacterial hand gel on your hands and feet to kill those bacteria causing the smell before putting your gloves and socks on. If your gloves and boots already stink, and you've washed them as best you can then spray them with antibacterial spray before and after wearing them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I played a sport where it was important not to have sweaty hands and used dusted on magnesium carbonate, this stops it and could be one answer.

A more exotic would be poldine methobisulphate which is used by nervous catwalk models underarm so not to damage clothes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies everyone - I appreciate all the good feedback. This is something that's irritated me for so long that I'm considering developing a product specifically for this purpose.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Googling for "glove deodorant" and "glove deodorizer" gives lots of results.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
personally i think it sounds more like this

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-athletes-foot-treatment
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveD wrote:
personally i think it sounds more like this

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-athletes-foot-treatment

Id disagree with that statement straight off:
Quote:
Make sure your feet get plenty of air. If you can't go barefoot or wear sandals, wear cotton socks and shoes made of a natural, porous material such as canvas. Don't wear water-resistant synthetics.

Better to use a good quality wicking fabric such as Coolmax than cotton, so your feet stay dry. Nothing worst than cotton, as a fabric which absorbs and holds moisture, to keep something damp next to the skin.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ermm it's an bit hard with ski boots, where is the moisture going to wick to.. and if the spores are there to start with they need killing off..try athletes foot powder
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're concerned about the liners themselves, then wash them in warm water using a soap-based detergent (dreft) and a squirt of Milton fluid to kill any bacteria.

Also, take them out after the day's skiing and let them dry properly. It's the moisture content that encourages the growth of the nasties.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

white man speaks much truth - kills many, many tiny enemies stone dead. Bag whilst in freeezer.
latest report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Quote:

white man speaks much truth - kills many, many tiny enemies stone dead. Bag whilst in freeezer.

just be careful there's no metal bits Smile

My Hestra gloves have a metal eyelet on the tab which is used to clip the two gloves together.
ski holidays
Hi All

Wearing thin liners inside your gloves may help. You can usually pick up cheap ones from Decathlon for a few quid.

Also, you could try washing them in Halo sportswash to kill the bacteria. It works great on gym kit and it doesn't get smelly after it has been worn a few times like it does with normal washing detergent. You can pick it up at Tesco.

http://www.halononbio.co.uk/halo-sports
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This may be an odd idea- but could you get some less good gloves so your hands don't get so hot?

If it's any consolation I'm sure your ski gloves smell nowhere near as bad as my boxing gloves which I've been using three times a week for the last two months. They're really bad now. I've sprayed a bit of frebreeze in them today and given them a bit of an airing on my balcony which has helped a bit, but not much as unsurprisingly I couldn't get the can in. I've decided to invest in some palmless ones today, which doesn't really help you, but hopefully will solve my problem.

Good luck.
snow conditions
Just spotted the date of the original post. I'm guessing the problem has now been solved and there probably aren't too many people interested in my smelly boxing gloves. Oh well, you never know, I'll keep it there anyway.
ski holidays
NatalieC wrote:
Just spotted the date of the original post. I'm guessing the problem has now been solved and there probably aren't too many people interested in my smelly boxing gloves. Oh well, you never know, I'll keep it there anyway.

Strangely erotic ... there's always one Smile
snow report
sev112 wrote:
NatalieC wrote:

Strangely erotic ... there's always one Smile

Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy