Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots or new liners?

cran
cran
I have only been skiing for 1 season (but I skied all of it) and my boots started out a really good fit and felt very solid as well as comfortable, By March they were feeling a bit softer and my feet were starting to move inside the boot even with tightening more and by the end of the season they were definitely too loose.

They are only 80 flex (X-wave X's) but for the first 3 months were a really good fit.

The shells are fine (as far as I can tell) so should I be just replacing the liners, or should I be thinking about a stiffer boot for next season anyway?

My goals for next season are to get as much off piste as possible (using lifts rather than touring so don't need touring boots yet) and some freestyle.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
when you say you skied all season, was that 100 days? or how many? 100 days the liner could easily be done.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New boots keep the kit industry in business
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cran, do you feel like your boots are beginning to "collapse" when you ski fast, or do they just feel like you have a bit too much room because the liners have compacted? 80 flex is quite soft, but if you feel like the boots are still giving you the level of control you want for your skis there's probably no need to change them. But if you are feeling you are over-powering your boots then a new, and stiffer pair might be a good purchase.

If you do go for a pair of replacement liners like Zipfits they can be moved to a new pair of boots, so maybe get a pair them and see how you get on with your current boots before committing to a new pair of shells.
snow report
 cran
cran
mag1882, probably about 90 days (was working most weekends).

rob@rar, Hard to tell if the flex is too soft as by the time I was doing steeps and blacks confidently (but not necessarily well) they were already starting to feel a bit loose. But though the boots are only 80 they did feel stiff enough before the liner compacted. Zipfits sounds like a good idea, then I can change the boot later if I need to.

I did borrow a pair of Mission RS-8's which are 90 flex before I got my X-Waves and the x-waves feel a LOT stiffer even though they are only 80.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cran, I asked that question of a bootfitter. He said my shells were too big, and that they'd still be too big with a new liner (they'd been originally fitted in resort, and evidently not very well). So he sold me new boots, with the liners they came in. The new shells were a size smaller than the old ones, but they took some tweaking to fit. He did say that if I was a racer he'd squeeze me into an even smaller shell....Shocked

When the new ones packed down and my feet were moving inside them, I bought Zipfits, for the same shells. Unless you are confident that the shells are not too roomy, I'd ask a bootfitter.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
pam w, I'm pretty sure the shells are the right size, as I couldn't even get in the .0 (too narrow) or the next size down in .5 (too short) but I guess I should try and find a boot fitter who stocks zipfits so I can take the boots with me and get them checked.

Anyone know a good boot fitter in Switzerland or France who stocks zipfits?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I replaced the liners in my x waves after about 5 years, cost about £50, they will only last a couple of years though I think. inevitably the boots will need replacing soon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cran, Two questions:

1. How heavy are you? Whilst higher level skiers can pressure a stiffer boot it's a skiers weight that generally determines the flex required. For an 80 flex I wouldn't expect you to weigh more than 60/65kg.

2. What's the shell gap?

To measure the shell gap remove the liner & inserts your bare foot in to the shell with your toes just touching the front of the boot - then measure the gap between the back of your heel & the boot shell - it's usually easier to get someone else to do this & using a torch makes it easier to see etc. If the gap's bigger than 20mm then you definately need a smaller size but for someone skiing the amount you do I'd expect to see a max 15mm gap. It's not just a case of going down a size in the same boot so to ensure the width/volume is right once you've got the length sorted you might have to switch to a different make/model. The smaller the shell gap the more the accurately the boot's width/volume/shape has to match the width/volume/shape of your foot.

Go find a good boot fitter.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cran, Sole bootfitters in Chamonix, Steve is a regular on here but all the guys in there know there stuff.
snow report
 cran
cran
Colin B, Thanks, useful to know that I could get another season or two without spending much.

spyderjon, 20mm shell gap and 83Kg (should be 78kg by the start of next season). I guess the gap is a bit on the larger side or optimal, but they felt solid the first few months so don't think they are that over size.

I guess Sole won't be open during the summer?

Thanks for all the replies.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cran wrote:
I guess Sole won't be open during the summer?

think i saw on their FB page that they can do stuff by appointment - maybe worth a call?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cran, defo too big for the amount of skiing you're doing. If you'd only done a few week the liners wouldn't have packed down so much - & they wouldn't have packed down so much if the shell was smaller. Defo too soft as well. Steve at Sole will put you in a mondo size less & probably a 110/120 flex.
snow report
 cran
cran
Arno, spyderjon, Cool, Thanks! I'll contact them and see what they can do.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy