Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slow coach confidence?

Poster: A snowHead
Wondering if anyone has any tips, or just possibly kicks up the rear. Currently skiing in Whistler; low end red run skier in Europe, and doing lessons here which include blacks and bumps (as a result of the conditions). The lessons are brilliant, in a group, and I'm fine picking up the technique and skiing what's in front of me which is a huge step up from sliding down smooth groomed reds.

However - I'm slow. Slower than others in the group, even though I don't think my technique is any worse. What am I doing wrong? Or should I just accept that I'm a pootler? I feel in control (bonus?). I'm a fairly lightweight female, and only in the 5th year skiing.

Any other pootlers? Being the slow coach has knocked my confidence today, and I HATE being waited for...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You’re all having fun, learning new things, and gaining confidence... don’t give yourself a hard time over this and let it take the shine off the trip.

At various times I’ve been both the ‘waited for’ and one of the waiting - SOMEONE has to be the last one down the run - and the only downside to being last is that you don’t get many mini rests, as they ski off again just as soon as you get there.... which may be affecting your energy levels and hence you’re slower - a classic feedback loop!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're the slow one at the back, it's better to be the slow one at the front behind the instructor. It gives you a proper rest between runs and a far better example in front to learn from.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 @Amunah, also it is entirely possible that the fast ones can't ski any slower and would like a bit of control (and it could be their fear that makes them want to follow right after the instructor!! #me)... they might even be watching you with envy - so remember to put in your most stylish turns (and fall over a few times) to give them a good show!

Lastly, if you are worried about skiing slow.. cut out all the pfaff... always be completely ready to set off, don't wait for anyone else to start (except the instructor)... you do not need to use the straps on your poles! And if all else fails, put in a spectacular sliding fall 20m above the waiting group, leave your (now free) poles up slope, lie there, breathe and let the group tire themselves picking everything up for you (including you)... small price to pay for getting such a fall on camera...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Echo @Tubaski, if you can, set off immediately behind instructor to see how it pans out. It's surprisingly similar for many in your position, in that if you start after the others then you feel slower when it s just compounding the delay that gives the impression rather than your skills being mutch different from the others.
If you can get near front of group and don't feel you are delaying others it let's you concentrate on building confidence rather than have concerns about holding others up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ElzP, I think the main change that you could make is to not worry so much about giving other people an opportunity to have a little rest and a moment to enjoy the scenery, which is much more likely to be the case than any frustration. I think it's a much better aim to ski well rather than to ski fast.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No solution, but just wanted to say I know how you feel. Up until this year I was always last in group lessons and felt really bad for holding everyone up, which would make me frustrated with myself and affect my skiing, slowing me down more or making me more likely to fall.

Somehow this year I ended up in a small group where most of the time I was the fastest (how did that happen!). I really enjoyed that we were skiing the slopes nice and slowly, I got to focus on my technique rather than worrying about getting down quickly to join the others, and I improved a lot. Plus, as I'm not the fittest, I sometimes got some nice long breaks waiting for the others and enjoying the scenary.

Now I just need to work out how to find more groups like that!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nothing wrong with skiing slowly. You go at the pace you feel comfortable and if that means others have to wait, then so be it.

And other one here for getting in first behind the instructor occasionally. This will give you the opportunity for a little rest before the others in the group catch up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski how you feel comfortable.

Do you ever ski quick or is it just when you get to steeper pitches that you become more methodical? If you decide that you want to ski quicker (although, as others have said, it's not a requirement) then maybe practice going faster on gentler runs, to get used to the speed. Also I'd recommend the Elate Media/Darren Turner videos regarding rhythm and being smooth.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am always the slowest when i ski in a group. I don't care. Someone waits and has a rest.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiing slowly and correctly, is more difficult.....so take that to the bank. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks so much all - some very good insights there, especially about less rest making me more tired and then even slower... think by the end of the lesson yesterday I was beyond knackered and looking for excuses to cop out.

I've always been pretty steady, but had been working on getting more speed on nice groomed steeper runs; I guess it will take a bit of time to get the skill to go a bit quicker on the new terrain. I'm not really bothered about being a fast skier, would much rather be relaxed! I will check out the suggested videos though.

Today I will focus on letting other people get a rest while I stylishly glide down at my own pace, and maybe chuck in some 'accidental' falls when I need a rest. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ElzP, also possible that you are concentrating on doing what you've been asked to, and others in the group are trying to be fast rather than getting it right.

+1 for what others say about being the first to go after the instructor. If you're following them, it's much easier if you are directly behind and can see what they're doing. Plus it guarantees you some rest as someone else will inevitably go off course in the bumps or fall over, and then have to make their way back to the group.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Skiing slowly and correctly, is more difficult.....so take that to the bank. Toofy Grin

This. Better to put in 10 turns pause and reset than 30+ getting more fatigued and in worse form just because that's what the speedy gonzaleses do.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No prizes for getting down first (unless you are a professional skier).
ski holidays
The second lesson went MUCH better thanks to your sage advice - got myself in behind the instructor as much as possible, and was able to share the advice with someone else in the group who was feeling slow in the afternoon! Skied some stuff I'd never have touched, including a bit of off piste. snowHead

Came crashing back to earth today, complete freeze on a steepish blue for no good reason, maybe a bit hungover but am excessively peed'd off with myself. Will give it another go tomorrow. Confused
snow report
@ElzP, that's good news.
Celebrate your successes, forget your failures!
ski holidays
@Tubaski, cheers! Celebrated with some extra good grub, will sleep off the failure and give it another go first thing. Refuse to be beaten by a pesky run!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy