Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best coasting blue alpine resort

Poster: A snowHead
Sure this has been asked time after time, but what is best resort for long winding blues through trees. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure about 'best' or any other hidden criteria, but my vote goes for Bernex in France. Trees also equate with Low.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Sella Ronda domain in the Italian Dolomites has lots and lots of cruisey pistes, suitable for a gentle meander or a flat our carve-fest, including plenty of terrain low enough to be below the tree line. Resorts include Arabba, San Cassiano, Selva Val Gardena and others.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
The Sella Ronda domain in the Italian Dolomites has lots and lots of cruisey pistes, suitable for a gentle meander or a flat our carve-fest, including plenty of terrain low enough to be below the tree line. Resorts include Arabba, San Cassiano, Selva Val Gardena and others.

I would say the best cruisy area I have ever been to is the Pralongia Plateau which is in this area. Stay in Corvara for easy access to this area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above; Alta Badia and surrounding areas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would vote La Plagne - but then I'm biased!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are several nice long blue cruising runs among the trees near Wengen, nicest being from Kleine Scheidegg to Grund which is about 7km
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some good cruisey blue runs like that in Serre Chevalier. Certainly enough for a week with a few repetitions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all. Will look into all those and check out prices and appartments. Snow and Sunshine, stayed in les arcs last Jan and skiid to belle plagne. Loved the place. Still temped to go back next Jan but could do with prices being bit lower.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jon Ford, Apart from my fairly predictable suggestion of Saalbach wink (which does have lots of lovely, long, tree-lined runs), I would have thought that Vallandry would take some beating for its lovely, sweeping runs through the forest. It sounds as if you may have already covered that area. Ski Olympic's 'La Foret' chalet is ideally located.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Plagne gets my vote
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jon Ford,

Glad to see it's not just me who is a Paradiski fan!

If you're looking for a catered chalet you can see our website via the link below - drop me an e-mail if you think they would suit and I'll see what we can do about a bit of snowHead discount. . . .

Happy planning . . . .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Peisey-Vallandry area of Paradiski is quite extensive, easily accessed from La Plangne, Arc 1800 and Arc 1600. Arc 2000 and Arc 1950 are a bit further away but you can still easily get to Peisey-Vallandry using just blue runs
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jamee88, 10.5 km of ski runs?

Hmmmm...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jon Ford, I would wonder whether Austria was not a good bet?

Otherwise, Madonna di Campiglio might be good?

Problem with most alpine resorts is that snowline skiing is by nature a little lower.

Les Houches, oddly enough, might be a contender and has some charming restaurants.
snow report
Thanks all. Some good replies. Will check them all out. Loved les arcs but need to venture new places. Austria resorts look so nice
ski holidays
Jon Ford, les carroz and morillon have lots of tree lined runs, les carroz more so. From the top of gondola to the base is tree lined. Its one of the big pluses over flaine, you can see in bad weather!
snow report
Quote:

Its one of the big pluses over flaine, you can see in bad weather!

but you can also get up to the top! Best of both worlds, maybe.
ski holidays
Crikey. So many good replies. Thank you. Just.come across Risoul in France. Looks and sounds very nice. Seems to b a cheaper French resort. 180km piste with a lot tree lined. Some nice appts too. May be a possibility. Trying to find les carroz in brochure to have a look. Thanks again
snow conditions
GerryW80, Sounds good, thanks. Will check out tonight. Currently looking at doll, but just worried as low altitude so can't guarentee snow as much ad France. Few months till we book though
ski holidays
Jon Ford, Have no worries about altitude in Austria! Their whole economy is based on winter as well as summer tourism if you look carefully at the sums. Hence they have invested heavily in all the infrastructure you need as well as having a fairly reliable climate to support it (i.e. it gets cold and snows in winter, and in summer it can be very hot!)

Although I have skied extensively in Les Carroz (my first teaching job was based there way back in the 70s) and loved the place to pieces, the reliability of the snow was a big consideration when I moved on. Even with modern snow-making technology it can sometimes be a bit late in coming in the western Alps as we saw last year due to the moderating influences of the warmer maritime weather systems.

The further east you go the lower the permanent snowline and the colder the temperatures in winter because the weather is no longer moderated by the maritime weather systems. As you are planning for the end of January/beginning of February there should not be any problems whatsoever in either location (says she with crossed fingers not wanting to tempt fate! wink Laughing )
snow conditions
Jon Ford wrote:
GerryW80, Sounds good, thanks. Will check out tonight. Currently looking at doll, but just worried as low altitude so can't guarentee snow as much ad France. Few months till we book though

In addition to Samerberg Sue's good advice, its also worth considering that the difference in terrain between France and Austria often means the latter is skiable with far less cover/snow depth.
snow conditions
thanks again - thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Made a note of a few resorts that we would want to go to. Initial being anywhere in skiwelt, then Serre Challier & Valloire. Considering Andorra but not nice reviews on hotels and food (plus again, snow can sometime be questionable)
Will keep looking and noting other resorts but still not booking till a few months time.
thanks again!
ski holidays
I was going to say Sella Ronda too. Miles and miles of IMO rather dull cruising through trees between cafes, if that's what you like. Remember, the Italians are absolute experts at snow making - as real snow can be a bit hit and miss owing to their position in the rain shadow behind the Alps. If you're looking at skiing cruisy blues then you don't actually need to worry whether it snows at all.
snow report
Quote:

you don't actually need to worry whether it snows at all.

well, a bit of the natural stuff might be nice!
snow conditions
Quote:

you don't actually need to worry whether it snows at all.

Puzzled well you do have to worry about whether the weather is cold enough to blow snow; it's not always, even in the depths of winter!
ski holidays
Thanks. Still looking at soll but do like cheapness of Italy it play pop back into the top 5
ski holidays
just back from a tour of the sella ronda in Italy and since I was last there in 2004 I would not say the place was cheap as prices have gone up a lot for food and drink. I would imagine Soll would be much cheaper
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I would not say the place was cheap as prices have gone up a lot for food and drink

It's a while since I've been in the Dolomites, and I don't remember prices, but just buying a beer in a bar in Genoa in May was certainly not cheap (IIRC a large beer was around 6 euros, which is more than in the small French resorts I know, so probably quite a bit more than Austria). The bar was by the sea, but not touristy, and my son, who lives in Genoa, said (when I moaned) that it was a very ordinary bar price.
ski holidays
The best trees and scenery are to be found between Sunshine Village & Lake Louise, and cruisy ez slopes. Its a long way so go for 10 days.
latest report
Another vote for La Plagne and Paradiski. Finding a reasonable price in January shouldn't be to much of a challenge.
latest report
Have you thought about Montgenevre in France? It's a great easy to ride resort with lots of accessible wide open runs all the from the top on both sides of the valley. Even the reds and the blacks are fairly easy tbh. If you don't mind bumps, you can ski down into Italy and Claviere, although this might not be appropriate if you want to stick to blues, but you can always catch a bus to Claviere which is worth doing as they have some great runs through the trees.
snow report
thanks
mauddib, have been looking into MontG and like the size of the resort too, when linked with Italy. Its one of the 4 or 5 options for when we come to book
snow report
les Houches gets my vote....stay in St.Gervais and ride up on the charming tram
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy