Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for criggy - west Austria, maybe Switzerland?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a resort in the vicinity of Lake Constance, so western Austria or eastern Switzerland. Though as this is meant to be a "not expensive" shindig I guess Austria is the focus. I have to been to the Arlberg before and ruling out on the basis that the ski area is going to be OTT for we what and not offer value for money. What do we want I hear you ask. Well it's a party of 4 adults and 2 children 5 & 7. Children to ski with adults - no ski school or childcare required. Two of the adults are OAP's - one of which is not skiing. Looking for a medium sized ski area. A pleasant town, not massive but enough to have a bit of a stroll. Extra facilities a bonus. Good lift system. Short walk to the piste only.

I was looking at Ischgl last night. Seem to tick most of the boxes. We are unlikely to be partaking of the nightlife so I guess we won't be interfered by it? Bit concerned that there is no tree lined skiing. Going at Christmas so quite possible there will be some bad weather days. Are there some alternatives to Ischgl to consider? I've also done short trips to Wart Schroken and Neustift im Stubaital but Wart is a little on the small side and the other is no ski/ski out, resort centred. Grateful for any ideas. Not concerned about restaurants, bars or ski hire. More the ease of skiing, ambience of the town, variety of skiing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Serfaus (+ Fiss-Ladis)? Really popular with families and an awesome linked ski area. Good tree lined skiing and snow sure as it is high for an Austrian resort. Only downside is that it is not serviced by British tour ops but that does mean you can DIY it. Good range of accommodation available.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what I've heard Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis would work well.

I've been to Ischgl with family (inc non-skiing grandmother) over Christmas before, it could work well too. It has better piste skiing than the Arlberg, but if the Arlberg ski area is 'OTT' for you (in what way do you mean this?), I'm not sure Ischgl will offer better 'value for money' neccessarily - the town is probably more expensive than St Anton too (though I guess you could stay in Galtuer/etc). On the plus side it's a fairly sizeable town - my Grandma didn't get bored anyway, and many of the lifts are suitable for pedestrians, so she was able to join us for lunch up the hill occasionally.

A bit more towards the East of Tirol, but Kitzbuehel could also be worth a look too, good sized town for the non-skier, plenty of mellow pistes for the kids. Bit lower, so more trees, but early season snow isn't quite as guaranteed as Ischgl (which is one of the best in that regard), though I wouldn't be put off by that.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-07-12 18:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whats "criggy"?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you go to Ischgl you can easily avoid the nightlife but you're unlikely to find it any cheaper the Arlberg. There is tree lined skiing, the runs to resort and the runs around Paznauntayer and Bodenalp but much of it is open bowl territory. Its not particularly suitable for beginners but probably not for experts either but there's plenty of it. The town itself is pretty and very well maintained.

Not been to Serfaus/Fiss/ Ladis but to concur with others it might better suit your requirements from what I have heard.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
criggy = Christmas. 22nd - 29th December.

I referred to the Arlberg being over the top in terms of size and standard of skiing. But I appreciate Ischgl is probably only a notch down. Must admit I didn't realise the town was so big and pricey. We will be looking for an apartment in walking distance of the lifts (no more than 500m I would say). I was hoping for something around the 700 Euros mark for the 6 of us but a quick search on the website was showing up places at 2000! It will be the German in-laws booking so maybe their local knowledge can do they honours.

Will look at the Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis aswell.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you looked at Zauchensee? I've not been myself but have a friend who rents apartments there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SkiHolidayQuotes, and yet you are happy to prepare quotes for a resort you know nothing about? It does not say that on your web site.

If you did know it, you would also know it does not fit the requirements of the original poster, not least because it is not in western Austria, nor anywhere near it, if that is where the OP is travelling to! rolling eyes

Is that a little whiff of old spam cunningly disguised as fresh news perhaps?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:

I referred to the Arlberg being over the top in terms of size and standard of skiing. But I appreciate Ischgl is probably only a notch down. Must admit I didn't realise the town was so big and pricey. We will be looking for an apartment in walking distance of the lifts (no more than 500m I would say). I was hoping for something around the 700 Euros mark for the 6 of us but a quick search on the website was showing up places at 2000! It will be the German in-laws booking so maybe their local knowledge can do they honours.

Not sure Ischgl is a 'step down' from the Arlberg tbh, the Arlberg has better offpiste, but Ischgl has better on piste... Towns are fairly similar too in some ways, if anything Ischgl has better late night nightlife. Very Russian though, and pricey.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serfaus is an excellent ski area, I was there this March and would highly recommend it for piste skiing and does sound like it would suit your group's skiing ability. Possible downsides as a Christmas resort are that whilst most buildings are not ugly its definitely not picture postcard pretty and is quite a long narrow village. I'm not sure how the non skier in your group would get on. If they're fit and able there's a good bit of winter walking and the lift system is amazing with lots of non skier friendly gondola's so they could get to various areas of the mountains for sight seeing and meeting up with you.

The fireworks show up on the mountain was very impressive so suspect they'd put on some good entertainment but as mentioned the village itself is not that exciting for a non skier, far less to do than Kitz, Ishcgl or similar. It is also very, very popular with the Germans & Dutch and places are booked out a long way in advance for popular weeks so I'd get booking now if you want Xmas week.

Good luck. If you have any other Serfaus questions feel free to ask!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Whats "criggy"?

I'm glad you asked, holidayloverxx. I'd not heard the expression and wouldn't mind if I never heard it again. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just adding to what Rowlski mentioned about Serfaus. If you want a pretty village then Fiss might be a better option but you just need to watch where your accommodation is located as there could be a bit of a walk up to the slopes of a morning. I used to walk to work so I can't confirm that there's a ski bus but I'd expect so...Again, the gondolas make it easy for non skiers to meet up with you up the mountain but it is an old village rather than a town.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers peeps. May leave it up to the in-laws to make the final call and I suspect they will be funding the excess, as it's their gig really. If money were no object it would seem Ischgl be top of the pops. If they want to budget down they have the other options.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne, have you looked at the Silvretta-Montafon area in Vorarlberg? There is some really nice skiing in that area that is quite often overlooked by the major tour operators. Lots of very quaint traditional villages and towns all along the valleys all interlinked with shuttle buses plus good easy cross-country and walking trails.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

criggy = Christmas.

Ah, good job you said. Chrimbo or Xmas maybe, but I've never heard that before.

Is Easter "Eggy"? Smile
snow report
jonm, Laughing
snow conditions
Here you go you me old cockers...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2005/01/17/dictionary_leicester_feature.shtml

criggy - 1. Cricket 2. Christmas
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, I appreciate your concerns, but please, I am genuinely trying to help. Ok, Zauchensee may not be Western Austria, but it's west of centre and it's cheap! Also, for your information, we do not prepare any quotes ourselves, these are done by our registered tour operators and chalet owners who are of course all experts on the resorts they promote, so you really have got the wrong end of the stick both about my post and how our website works.

Anyway, i'm not here to hijack this thread - I was just trying to help the OP. Good luck sorting your trip.
snow report
Layne, Try Kappl just down the road from Ischgl. Have taken the family there a couple of times and I rate it highly. Not much for the non skier to do but Ischgl only a short hop on the bus/taxi away. Hotel Auhof is right beside the gondola/piste and bus stop to/from Ischgl and has a great wee apres ski bar - very family friendly. Kappl is very good value and would return again in a minute.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy