Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hardware advice needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
New to the site & my first impressions are great - I love it!

Ok the reason I'm posting is to ask advice on what setup I should go for.
I'm getting back into skiing after 5-6 years or so. My last trip was out to Alta in Utah skiing a few blacks, a bit of off piste but mainly sticking to reds and blues & I'd done a couple of weeks prior to that in the Alps as well as some indoor stuff, so whilst I'm sure (like most people) I'm not as great a skier as I think I am, I'm not a total novice either.

I recently went back to the indoor slope and well & truely caught the bug again so I think it's time I took the plunge, invest in some kit of my own (having previously always hired) and get myself involved in something like this forum.

As I said I've always hired my equipment which suited me, I could get decent gear for the price of air carriage, however with the indoor being so close to me I'd love to invest in a setup I could take to the slopes this coming winter - maybe to one of the SnowHeads events??

I'm looking to hopefully try more off piste stuff in the future, but I need something to develop on too so nothing which isn't fairly at home on piste too, so i'm thinking a decent intermediate All Mountain ski, boots, poles, the lot!
I've got up to £1500 i reckon to spend, if i could get change from that then fantastic, but I'd rather spend what i need to get something which will last rather than save a bit now to 'grow out' of it in a years time

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, links to particular products/deals would be great!
Anyone else has any tips, advice or just wants to say Hi feel free!

Thanks
Dan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
d3v4n5, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I can't give you any sensible advice on what hardware to choose, other than to say go to a good bootfitter and get what they recommend. And you'll get LOADS of change from £1500.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi and welcome to the forums.

There are so many different skis in that category i wouldn't know where to start, i mean do you want twin tips, any preference on the ski flex etc etc. Any more information to narrow it down a bit would be helpful. But from what you've said i would suggest the fischer watea's as a good place to start for an intermediate level. They also come in two flexes so you can choose which you prefer if i remember correctly. They're pretty good on piste and feel quite solid when charging through crud but venturing off piste is where they are not as good as some others which is to be expected given they aren't particularly wide. However they do hold their own against skis of a similar size in these conditions. Volkl, line, salomon, white dot are all other makes you should have a look at as they are quality. At the end of the day you should try and demo the ski to see if you like it or not and with that size of budget i don't think you'd be particularly disappointed in what you end up with.

As for bindings there are quite a few to choose from depending on what you want to do on the mountain. The salomon sth12 is a great all rounder in my opinion and can take a solid beating and at their price of around £100 you can't go wrong. You can upgrade to the sth14's with the driver toe if you're really going to be tearing up the slopes but the 12 is more than fine in my opinion. Marker bindings are also great but more expensive so its up to you if you wish to pay a bit more for no great improvement unless you get the top if the range poducts from them which are pricey. As for ski boots, it really depends on your feet. I found that salomon boots fitted me better with my narrow feet when compared against others so it really depends. Make sure you try a variety of boots from different manufactures before you buy anything. Worst thing you can do is buy something you think is good in the shop and then hate the boots on the slopes. Happy feet = happy skiing snowHead

One other thing i would suggest is buying the equipment you need to service your skis. Far cheaper than paying to have them serviced every time. Plenty of guides on youtube etc so shouldn't be a problem to do the waxing, edging and so on. Hope this helps Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

One other thing i would suggest is buying the equipment you need to service your skis

invest some of your change in a session with Jon - skituning.co.uk. He can sell you what you need, at a decent price, too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
d3v4n5,
I reckon as above going to a boot fitte and seeing whatr they recommend and fits is a good start.
AS for skis either try a few in the resort and see whatt you like or go for something second hand you may well change you r mind about what you like over a short period at your stage.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

invest some of your change in a session with Jon - skituning.co.uk. He can sell you what you need, at a decent price, too.

+1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
d3v4n5, If you're going to spend a bit of time indoors, but want to get into the off piste a lot more and have a budget of that size; I'd go for a couple of pairs of skis.

Indoors is so tight, a pair of slalom type skis probably work best and are fun on the piste too.

For off piste; make your life easier and go for something around 90-100mm underfoot. Don't be put off by the width; they are still easy to ski.

Again, if you are spending time in a fridge, your own tuning kit is a good investment (you find the wax is nearly gone after two hours) and is easy to use. Jon is a good source for all the kit you need.

Go and see a good bootfitter and get some boots that fit well; solutions for feet at Bicester are well known on here.

And save some of your budget for lessons wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy