Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY cutting skins

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have a set of skins precut for one set of skis , but want to trim them for a slightly thinner pair of skis , with a slightly different radius profile , how much clearance should I leave from the narrower skis edges so that they will still work ok for the fatter pair Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I normally attempt to get each edge 3mm clear.

Stick skins to skis.
Draw round skis onto sticky side of skins.
Refit skins 3mm to one side measuring from one of the drawn lines.
Cut off the exposed line along the edge of the ski.
Refit skins 3mm to other side.
Cut off the exposed line along the other edge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, Cheers , if I get a 3mm clearance on the narrower skis , it will give approx 8mm clearance around the fatter skis, will this greatly affect the performance of the skins on the wider pair Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shouldn't matter too much
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carbon_copy, I cut mine down the middle so I have more skin near the edge on my wider skis......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
remember to seal the edges after you cut em with super glue to stop the edges from fraying... I thought it was pretty straightforward and as per altis instructions...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
edge sealing - click here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69790
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They are G3 alpinist skins , no mention of sealing the edges in instructions , but will run a lighter down them if needed as per above link
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the link at the bottom of this page should help.

2nd thumbnail in from the left

http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/trade/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
anything_technical, sorted snowHead snowHead that beat the "you tube" clips on the subject , cheers snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I cut mine down the middle so I have more skin near the edge on my wider skis......

Ah, I've been wondering about doing that myself. Do you cut them the whole length or for just, say, a 1 metre section in the middle to give the coverage underfoot? I use Montana skins which have a really good tail clip which it would be a shame to lose the use of if the skins were cut down their whole length.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carbon_copy wrote:
anything_technical, sorted snowHead snowHead that beat the "you tube" clips on the subject , cheers snowHead

no worries!

Glad it helped.

When it comes to splitting the skins.........I would say its best to split the whole skin from clip to clip.
You could leave a small section of around 2 inches clear of the clip to give the skin some additional strength where it contacts the ski

.................but thats only if yopu have to split them. Are you concerned with them loosing traction etc? If so you could also buy an impregnating wax or some ski proofer.

Cheers

AT
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

but thats only if you have to split them. Are you concerned with them loosing traction etc?

Yes, they were originally cut for Scott Missions at 89mm, so are perfect for them. I have also been using them with 100mm and 111mm wide skis. No real problem with the 100 mm skis and useable with the 111mm skis as long as the snow is soft, but pretty sketchy if the snow is hard or very steep - so I always use ski crampons with the wider skis. The performance would definitely be better if the skins were closer to the edges but I worry that the adhesion may not be so good with, effectively, 2 thinner strips. Are completely split skins not even more of a headache to remove on a cold windy ridge?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="inspark"]
Quote:

Are completely split skins not even more of a headache to remove on a cold windy ridge?

I would say they are generally more of a phaff to get onto the mesh, but if you stretch them a little they do play ball.

Alot of people have this mis conseption that the skin HAS to cover the base with a 3-5mm gap clear of the edges for traversing edge hold. Depending on snow condition etc, this is not always the case. Of course, if the gap difference is huge then you will loose traction due to the surface area of the skin on the ski.

How old are the skins and have they had a good battering/use?

Cheers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Of course, if the gap difference is huge then you will loose traction due to the surface area of the skin on the ski.
How old are the skins and have they had a good battering/use?

No, the skins are in good condition, but when mounted on my widest skis there is a good 10mm uncovered down each edge which I think just exaggerates any poor technique such as leaning too far forward on steep climbs and not keeping the skis flat on traverses - then again it may be a good training tool!
If we get a wet day and I am feeling brave, I will experiment with cutting them down the middle!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy