Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Perfect Ski Hotel?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a very specific request which I am betting Snowheads can help me out with. Your advice has proved invaluable in planning our ski trips over the last few years, so I can only thank you all in advance.

Our small group is already dreaming of next season's ski trip. For the last couple of years we've done self-catering (in PDS and 3V) and this year we want to spend less time shopping and cleaning, and more time skiing and eating delicious food prepared by others Smile

We are looking to spend a week next January in a very good hotel (not catered chalet) staying half-board, with the following criteria:

Located in a ski area suitable for intermediates (we like France and proximity to Geneva handy)
Located within walking distance of both lifts and town (no buses!)
Very good to excellent food
Nice decor, modern or streamlined Alpine is ok 
Rooms clean, recently decorated, non-grotty
Budget 600-800 per person, per week, HB sharing double rooms

Look forward to your ideas and hopefully some other 'Heads might benefit too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5RED, This in les carroz, grand massif

http://www.servages.com/uk/index.php

and here to create a brochure

http://www.servages.com/print/index.php?c&lang=uk

bottom of home red run, short ski down to gondola, best restaurant in les carroz.

Bit of a distance from town however
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Carroz, thank you and that's kind of spooky because at the moment Les Carroz is high on our list, though I was wondering if the Milk Hotel would fit our budget better. Will definitely check out the Servages though, sounds very nice!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
5RED, if you want to venture a bit out of France, then the Jolanda Sport in Gressony (off Italy's Aosta Valley) might fit the bill. Wonderful food, super spa incl outdoor plunge pool, great grappa, a mere 5 yards from bootroom to the lift, and ski to the hotel at end of day. I think it is at top end of your price spectrum, possibly a tad above it, but if not too pricey would recommend it v highly indeed. The area is an Italian 3V, v large area but not many pistes and good for intermediates esp if you fancy a nibble at some off-piste, and far fewer skiers you'd find in the usual French places.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DoubleBombardino, thank you very much. I do love the food in italy, will look into this one also.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DoubleBombardino, really like look of that. Bookmarked. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hotel Les Peupliers Le Praz, not really a town but has everything else and le Bistro du Praz is 50 yards away for a night out or special lunch. Both I highly recommend. I think will be in your price range as euro has canned. Coming home via Jockeys is always a great end to the day and one can imagine the flight from the ski jump.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic, thanks for the tip which I have filed away, though having done the 3V last year I think we will wait a couple of years to go back again. Ski jump sounds alright though Smile Oh, and being Irish, I'm in the Euro anyway - for now..!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5RED,

Have a look at the Hotel Carlina in Belle Plagne, it's supposed to be excellent. Or maybe the Hotel Golf in Les Arcs.

With you having 'done' the 3V and PDS, Paradiski should be your next stop as it's superb and offers something for everyone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
5RED, Milk hotel is just across from Les Servages, good, just not quite in the same league, but the prices are not as well. Les Servages sometimes do good deals however.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you like the 3v then how about L'Ours Blanc http://www.hotel-ours-blanc.com/gb.html in Reberty/ Les Menuires. Not stayed there, but have eaten. The food and the hosts are terrific. The hotel looks VERY smart and has a top reputation.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If traditional hotel is your thing Posthotel 4* Schladming is charming, good food and reasonably close to lifts. Has a shop in town that makes Strolz ski boots to measure if you have made to measure type feet. Hotel Royer more modern 5* last time I was there was filled with dentists and Russians but might be worth considering. Posthotel would be closer for the night race and to the bars in town.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks SnowMonkey69, must check out Paradiski. Though actually we are looking for soemthing a little gentle, as feel the 3V 'did' us rather than the other way around!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, prego, signorina!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
5RED, You could try the family run hotel near us in Champagny. The cuisine is typically French and is usually a very good standard. The hotel is just 100 metres from the ski lift and 150 metres from the village centre.
It is decorated in traditional Alpine style and is a very cosy hotel and they make you feel very welcome. They are always doing something out of season to improve the hotel - decorating rooms etc. to keep it in good condition.
They also have a package deal of half board and 6 day lift pass (can be either La Plagne, Paradiski discovery or Paradiski unlimited). Last season it started at 630 euros for 7 nights half board and 6 days lift pass for the first week in January.
It is just over 2 hours drive from Geneva on a clear journey.
See www.hotel-glieres.com for more details.
snow conditions
Glockenstuhl in Westendorf (matches what you ask for very well too, other than being close to Innsbruck rather than Geneva). One of the best hotels I've been too - luxurious but at the comfortable end (pool, sauna, 'wellness area' is great), not stuck up. Great food, but hearty rather than pretentious, run by a lovely family.
ski holidays
You could try Hotel Morillon...in Morillon just over hill from Les Carroz, small traditional french hotel, good french food, simple but tasteful bedrooms although bathroom was small if thats important to you. Small but decent pool and spa area. about a 5 minute walk to Gondola so not ski in/out but reasonable prices (for France). I'm fairly fussy and have been twice and would go back.
ski holidays
Great tips everybody, thank you very much. Looking forward to investigating all these. By the way if anyone's interested, best ski hotel I've stayed in so far was Hotel Tirolerhof in Zell am See, Austria - superb food, rooms, ambience and a not-bad spa. Will go back there one day.
ski holidays
You don't say if the budget is to include flights, transfers or anything else.
ski holidays
ansta1, Our budget of €600-800 Euro per person is for half-board hotel only. Not including flights, transfers or anything else.
snow report
One in Austria thats worth a look though Im not sure why I'm recommending it as we like it as it is Very Happy http://www.hotel-steiner.at/
snow report
Garfield, Thank you. I don't know why I'm getting the feeling that Austrian ski hotels beat the rest of Europe. Anyone disagree?
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone disagree?

That one in Gressony sounds the most tempting to me, of the suggestions so far. I much prefer Italian food to Austrian food, on my limited experience so far. But, overall, I'm not a fan of hotels - they always remind me of work! But at least I didn't have to pay my own bills then. And when I did stay in hotels - often very good ones - I rarely ate in them, if there was any alternative. Would always prefer to go out and explore a bit to find somewhere outside.
snow conditions
The Sport Hotel in Neustift is also (truly - especially the sauna/wellness area) incredible, but you ahve to travel a bit for decent skiing. Great early season for some glacier action on the Stubai though.
snow report
No No No not Austria or France - Italy - les neiges d'antan - http://www.lesneigesdantan.it/en

"Located in a ski area suitable for intermediates (we like France and proximity to Geneva handy)"
Well sort of, no not really, Cervinia (just about). Its quite easy to get to from france and its a huge area sort of shared with Zermat (again not really)....

"Located within walking distance of both lifts and town (no buses!) "
er no not exactly but wait! Fabulous land rovers at your beck and call 24 x 7 (really at your beck and call) Its located out of town but the landy's are part of the fun

"Very good to excellent food"
well yes and no - real peasant food, cabbage and bread soup is the signature dish. One night they served a replica matterhorn 4ft high made of chestnut puree - come on!

"Nice decor, modern or streamlined Alpine is ok"
ace its ace check out the website, the daft bar with lie down seats and a massive vynal record collection. spa is ace

"Rooms clean, recently decorated, non-grotty"
er.. you've self catered to long, not many places are grotty

"Budget 600-800 per person, per week, HB sharing double rooms"
with a bit of wishful thinking and an euro crash you might be not to far off.

This is defo the best place we have ever stayed at. Check out the website and trip advisor (the skiing for old/ scaredy cat skiers is ace too)

http://www.lesneigesdantan.it/en

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187864-d1025287-Reviews-Les_Neiges_d_Antan-Breuil_Cervinia_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Really its great
ski holidays
found a picture - cabbage soup

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=350570714955155&set=a.112056312139931.17145.110298065649089&type=1&theater
snow report
lc150, I love it! While cabbage soup isn't my favourite the hotel looks lovely.

Loving all the tips and preparing a file with all the Snowheads recommendations - keep them coming! snowHead
snow conditions
5RED, I am an Austrian fan but there are some really nice hotels in Selva Italy as well.
Its really down to personal preferences
If Im going somewhere new I choose the ski area first then hunt out a hotel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
5RED, have a look at Altitude Lodge in Les Gets. Only 8 or 9 rooms but it ticks many of your boxes. Only problem is that is above your budget... http://www.vip-chalets.com/chalets/altitude-lodge
snow report
SnowMonkey69 wrote:

Have a look at the Hotel Carlina in Belle Plagne, it's supposed to be excellent.

+1 for this hotel. Not stayed there, but stopped a couple of times for refreshments (piste-side, so ski in/out) and had a quick look around on one occasion. Am very tempted myself. For your budget, they do a HB deal with ski pass.
ski holidays
SnowMonkey69 wrote:
5RED,

Or maybe the Hotel Golf in Les Arcs.

With you having 'done' the 3V and PDS, Paradiski should be your next stop as it's superb and offers something for everyone.

I have stayed here, it fits your bill, I personally prefer chalets, found it all a bit sterile, and bloody jazz in the piano bar.
snow conditions
1556garyt, good suggestion. I've eaten lunch here a couple of times, nice food alright. It is up on the mountain though so would mean a walk to the town at night. But you can't have everything!

Thanks all for the suggestions! Still haven't decided Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy