Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smith IO or Ockley Airbrake Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
I’m thinking of getting a pair of goggles you can change the lenses on the slops
I have seen good review on here about the Smith IO but can’t find much about Airbrakes on here.
Are they worth the money or not Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now is a great time to buy goggles and such cheap. I bought my I/Os two summers ago and really like them, I would not have paid full price for them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glen Charman, I've got a pair of goggles that you can change the lenses in, mine are Oakley's. However, I find that the lens swap is a sufficient faff, that I'd be doing the change in the appt. for the day ahead rather than actually taking the spare lenses onto the slope - I wouldn't even want to sit in a restaurant and do them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glen Charman, I/O's lens change takes less than one min , and they have a great choice of lens for every light condition Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ive never changed lens on goggles just gone with what i have, but come to think of it i'm due a new set so anyone got any bumf on goggles?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of useful info here

http://www.vision3k.com/beginners-guide-to-buying-goggles.asp
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The IO lens is easy to switch. I'd rather do it in a restaurant though than on the slopes. I've found the Ignitor Mirror lens that came with mine has a really wide usage profile. The low light Sensor Mirror I had to change back as soon as much sun came through. The Ignitors I wore in some real poor conditions and still felt ok. Probably not as much as if I'd switched lenses but at the time I just forgot I had the other lens as I was concentrating on getting down in one piece in the last major run of the holiday lol.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've often changed the lens on IO's on the lift and it's been fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mag1882 wrote:
I've often changed the lens on IO's on the lift and it's been fine.

Ballsy. We've all seen dropped poles and gloves under the chair - can't say I've seen goggles/lenses though?

I've always used 2 lenses - one for sunny days and one for the rest of the time. I really noticed how good the low light performance of my Dragons was this year over my Annons before.

I think 2 lenses is enough for most people.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nah it's usually fine, the only risk really is dropping my gloves, but I have wrists now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replies interesting only one from Megamum, an Oakley user and I don’t think there Airbrake goggles with the new switch lock system.
Huckacliff duckabranch, I did wear goggles in flat light and sunglass when sunny but since wearing a helmet I only use goggles as I look like a reject from CHiPS if you remember that fare back
codyaitch, You was struggling in flat light in St Anton maybe you should get a pair of goggles with a amber lens for flat light may help you a lot Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
where are any deals on the IO's? fancy them but will never pay that full price for goggles Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
barry, I haven’t found any deals on IO’s but lots on the Oakley Airbrake's
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glen Charman, what kind of prices for the Airbrakes (They come with 2 lenses as standard don't they??)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, RRP is £200-£220 But I've found them from £140.00 and yes they do come with 2 lenses for good and bad light.
The Ockley switch lock system looks better than the Smith IO's but I may be wrong Puzzled
ski holidays
Not used the Smith I/O's before, but have a pair of Airbrakes. In comparison with my old A-frames which used to take a couple of minutes to get the lens fully in place, the Airbrakes take seconds. However, it's not so much about the speed, but the ease of the change. The lock mechanism on the airbrakes means I don't end up dirtying the lens with fingers and it can happily be done on the side of the piste. I got mine for a very bargain price through a friend who works for Oakley, but they are fantastically comfortable goggles with great lenses whatever colour you choose. Highly recommended!
snow conditions
£150 for interchangeable lens aint cheap vs a 2nd pair of goggles for low light????
snow conditions
kitenski, Nope not cheap at all maybe 2 sets of goggles is the answer Puzzled
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
£150 for interchangeable lens aint cheap vs a 2nd pair of goggles for low light????

My thoughts exactly - plus how often do conditions change so dramtically during the day that you simply have to change lens? IME never if you've got a decent colour to begin with.
snow report
you could always buy some used IO's for ~100 easily.
snow report
you could always buy some used IO's for ~100 easily.
snow report
I got my IO from S&R mid season last year during one of their 25% off helmet and goggle weekends. But I imagine there must be some cheap last season stuff around still. I know I was wondering about getting another lens for mine fairly recently and via ebay it seemed almost cheaper to buy another pair with the right lens in some cases.
ski holidays
Get the air brakes, I got them last year and they are probably my favourite bit of equipment. Had v changeable weather on all trips last year, and it was great to be able to change my fire iridium to HI Yellow when it changed from bluebird to snow storm.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy