Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New invention - Permanent Anti-Mist Coating (maybe) for goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been reviewing a paper from a Canadian university which seems as if it may be of some use in stopping my goggles from misting up.

They claim to have created a permanent anti-mist coating.

For those who don’t know, the basic problem with all of the so called anti-mist coatings (used in ski goggles) is that – up to now – they don’t “stick” to both of the materials; that’s water and the Polycarbonate (or some other reaction-polymer) that the vast majority of goggle lenses are made of. The result of this is that as soon as you touch it, it wipes off.

Yeah I know that “some” ski goggle manufactures have claimed to have invented this or that plastic lens material that does this or that. To stop Admin getting sued let’s just say that almost all of the marketing claims are just that, marketing claims (AKA b****cks). For legal reasons we’ll say no more about em.

Anyway it looks promising.

The basics are that they have laid a single strand polymer onto some glass (with the same Polar properties), done this again onto the first (again with the same Polar) and again another couple of times (so 4 layers). And here’s the clever bit (ya gota love the Canadians) – the trailing electrons of the upper layer of polymer can form covalent bonds with loads of standard hydrophilic solutions (should keep the costs down)

As I said it seems to work.

BUT I do think they have messed up slightly as they have forgotten one thing, ski slopes are cold wet places (except in brochure pictures), and this leads people (well me anyway) to not think straight and do stuff that is plainly stupid; so yes I do clean the inside of my goggles with my ski gloves or my jacket cuff. Let’s see if it stands up to that Laughing .

But the good thing is (from a skiers perspective) is that someone has a research grant to look into this, which can only be a good thing. As you can see from the link below the paper deals with anti-mist coating on glass (at the moment) and glass it VERY different from Polycarbonate. But it shouldn't be too hard to make the leap now there is cash being thrown at it.

Of course they have tried to get a patent for this Shocked,
but as most lenses are made in china Puzzled (let's wait and see what happens)
Link to details

Sorry it's only the patent app as I can't put the actual paper on here as then both me and admin would be in court. They have stuck so much copywrite stuff all over it you can't hardy read the details. Don't cha just love lawyers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you wear a helmet? I can't say that foggy goggles is a problem that bothers me 99% of the time. The exception being very specific temperature/weather combinations which are usually down to a very large temperature gradient on the mountain and very high humidity. and goggles I'm talking about include bog standard basic double lens Smith and Scott rather than £200 Oakleys.

Hiking is a bit of a different issue. Best to carry a pair of sunnies for that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
Do you wear a helmet? I can't say that foggy goggles is a problem that bothers me 99% of the time. The exception being very specific temperature/weather combinations which are usually down to a very large temperature gradient on the mountain and very high humidity. and goggles I'm talking about include bog standard basic double lens Smith and Scott rather than £200 Oakleys.

Due to gravity there will always be about the same temperature gradients on hills?

I don’t get misted up goggles very often. Normally just when I move em up onto my hat for reason or other.

Foggy goggles are almost never caused by the weather conditions – as the Dew point will be higher on the inside then the outside due to someone wearing them. It MAY be that the goggles will be more prone to misting in certain conditions, but it is not the conditions that do the actual “misting”.

Mist on the inside is “almost always” caused by extra water getting into the space between the lens and the face (snow, rain, breath, sweat, etc). Eg. If you wear you goggles with a gap in the padding your breath can enter the air space and increase the moisture level. If you head-butt the floor and get snow inside your goggles, if it snowing and snow lands on the padding and then melting through the form, etc, etc.

Of course if you're skiing down a hill you will have an airflow through the vents, if you happen to stop then the flow disappears and the Dew Point will rise (as your face is putting out "stuff"), so you get mist – it not the weather conditions that cause it in this case but the fact that you stopped (so got rid of the flow).

The higher the moisture level, the higher the Dew Point, this combined with the fact the Dew Point is “always” lower than the air temperature, means that if you increase the moisture content the Dew Point will go up until it is the same as the air-temp and you get condensation. Note that (contrary to what you read on many, many website and way too many school text books ??) the air temperature has nothing the do with the Dew Point.

I do think that many people speculating about this in the press are not skiers? (or physicists) as if they were either they would know the lenses tend to be double in most modern ski goggles. This means that the inner lens will act as a Thermal Bridge for the wind effect on the outer lens. Oh well.

Of course there are times where the weather could possibly cause misting. E.g. when there are breaks in some cloud cover. This would have the effect of (as you went into a cloudy moment) of reducing the outside temperature so that the Thermal Bridge effect on the lens may reduce the difference between the air temp and the dew point inside the goggles.

Have been going back over the patent application again and it seems they are (without actually saying so - as you can't patent it ??) relying on the thermodynamics of the relationship between the volume to surface area. But, good luck to em, plenty of other people make shed loads of cash from the 1st L of T (wish I coud come up with something, dragon's den, here I come wink .

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 6-07-12 12:37; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have real misting up problems, just boil down fairy liquid until you've turned an entire bottle into a teacup. Wipe a tiny bit of it on the inside of your goggles. That works inside diving masks that are 3 deg outside and toasty warm inside, with no misting. If your goggles still steam up, you have a problem with the goggles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monium,

Here's an extract from a book wat-i-rote

A well known “home-remedy” used by many skiers is to lightly dab a solution of white vinegar and water (1:20 ratio – water should be warm when mixing) onto the inner lens and allowed to dry without wiping. This has a number of benefits over shop-bought products; it’s much cheaper, it is proven to work in all temperatures, it is non toxic. Users should note that it is vital to allow the solution to completely air-dry prior to use.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep your physics agrees with my anecdotal observations of what happens. You're right to pick up on temperature gradients - usually it's specific temperature gradients - warm and wet at the bottom of a hill , a fast chair takes you above the freezing line and the wetted out foam then conduits water vapour inside the lens to condense on the rapidly cooling lens. I think of it as similar to the rime process although I guess there may be technical differences
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
Yep your physics agrees with my anecdotal observations of what happens. You're right to pick up on temperature gradients - usually it's specific temperature gradients - warm and wet at the bottom of a hill , a fast chair takes you above the freezing line and the wetted out foam then conduits water vapour inside the lens to condense on the rapidly cooling lens. I think of it as similar to the rime process although I guess there may be technical differences

What’s happening here is that lower down there is more moisture in the air (it’s that gravity stuff again) and the foam padding (being made from a mixture of diisocyanate and some weird forms of polyol (basically a strong G & T, well I like think it “could” be anyway ) which when combined form polar polymers – so water will covalently bond to it. As the “Holes” in the foam are formed when most of the “stuff” in the PU is reticulated (it’s burned or dissolved out) this forms small enough gaps for the water to creep into it. This process continues until it reaches the other side of the foam when it evaporates (as your face provides the extra energy needed to whizz the h2o bits around faster and break the hydrogen bonds). As you’re on a lift there is a flow through of air pushing this vapour out of the space between your face and the lens. Of course when you stop this flow is removed and the moisture condenses. As the lens is colder than the air (inside the goggles) it reduces the temperature near to it to bring it down to the Dew point and droplets form on the lens.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy