Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody Skied The Inferno?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have got a place for this year. What length ski did you use for the downhill? Any advice on the course, waxing etc? Any thoughts on the Slalom and GS for this event would also be appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cynic, Pity the fool!

Ha ha it's brilliant, you'll love it. Well done for entering.

Slalom and GS aooear to be straightforward what you'd expect although I haven't done the combination yet. This will be my 11th inferno by the way. I am however disappointingly unfast.

Our fastest group member last year ran on 165cm FIS SL skis. Unless you want to be able to say you skied on silly long skis, go short. My feeling is that for me the biggest issue is fitness as I have done most overtaking on the woddcutters path climb.

Where are you staying? There are quite a few Brits around....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cynic, Well done on getting a place, I've tried for the past few years to no avail - enjoy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cynic, More thoughts, what do you weigh/height? i am planning on going down from 190 to 180 cms GS for the downhill.

Ifit's any help, I have raced on everything from 215 to 180.

Ski prep, I don't think you can get better than Eddy Abelgelern (?) and he also as most do sells race skis, previously cherished.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynic, More thoughts, what do you weigh/height? i am planning on going down from 190 to 180 cms GS for the downhill.

Ifit's any help, I have raced on everything from 215 to 180.

Ski prep, I don't think you can get better than Eddy Abelgelern (?) and he also as most do sells race skis, previously cherished.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just watched this... you get the whole of the course. Ignore the first minute....

http://youtube.com/v/6B2CJUIdlZI

Some right narrow runs and tight corners to negotiate. Didn't realise there was so much uphill involved. Looked like some longer length old race skis were being used.

Good luck, it looks a lot of fun.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spud wrote:
Looked like some longer length old race skis were being used.

A very large proportion are on DH boards. Personally, although that's fun and a bit of an unusual experience these days, I reckon they're more of a hindrance than a help.

But I'm not that fast.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spud, there's not a huge amount of uphill involved save on the long traverse after the gun barrel, I just think the chap doing the video wasn't hugely fast (he's passed by a number of people), also a bit depends on snow conditions and start position, a bit of fresh snow the day before really slows the course down, the other thing to bear in mind is that the Inferno often does not run for the full length as the snow down to Lauterbrunnen is not predictable (even with the snowmaking they can now do) and in bad conditions they have been known to lower the start point.

I've not raced it but I have skied the course a number of times
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, au contraire, there is quite a long uphill section (The Woodcutter's path) on the "current" "classic" course. It's after the Hog's Back.

Most first timers will (a bit of a guess here as the camera angle doesn't really let me see accurately where he is) start climbing at the equivalent of 14:30 on that video and you'll note that he's pushing until around 16:30. I assure you, you can get quite sweaty and not a little out of breath doing that. It's about a 500m climb...by a quick google map estimate.

It's also indicative of the gradient when you see how little progress his skating steps are making.

(Why would you ever have skied that part of the course? Are you mad? Very Happy )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, sorry I thought from spuds, video that we were discussing the multiple points where the cameraman has to walk, I freely accept the long middle bit is walking or rather pushing (I couldn't remember the name as I don't ski over at Murren enough, but the bits higher up I can't ever recall having to walk on, I'm not quite sure if they have a slightly different course to the route I'm used to or if perhaps the snow was a bit fresh and sticky but I certainly can't recall needing to push like that higher up.

Err yes quite possibly I may be mad but I have skied the whole course (just for the sake of it Blush ) Plus I've been to the area so many times over so many years that sometime you just want to do a run because you can. (Although I think once might have been a mistake) Embarassed

Of course these days that can piste even the steepest sections with machine, I can recall at one time going down one part over there with huge (4ft + high) Moguls in the days before piste bashers with winches, But for the life of me I can't remember if that was at the top of Gun Barrel or earlier on the way down from Piz Gloria I was only 9 or 10 at the time so a long time ago Laughing

I love some of the really old descriptions of the Inferno, in the early days people had to walk up before skiing down, they must have been really fit ! There's also a fantastic description of a race being run inside (I think) the Palace hotel, using their huge staircase and several ripped open feather duvets ! Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, Brilliant. I seem to recall hearing that the finish line was apparently in the nightclub of the Palace one year, snow and all.

The end of the two long traverses used to involve a little pushing and climbing but the corner at the end of the first has been "remodeled".
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, Not heard the one about the snow in the Nightclub before Laughing

Remodelling may have a lot to answer for Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy