Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season pass advice (grand massif/ PDS and Chamonix)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on season passes.

I will be spending 3 months (not working just skiing) in the Grand Massif next winter, and of course I will be getting a season pass for that area, but I have been wondering whether it would be worth getting a season pass for either PDS or Chamonix in addition.

I am worried that I will get bored just skiing the GM for 3 months and that there is not enough advanced level skiing there? We are only a 25mins drive from PDS and about 50min from Chamonix.

I am a high (ish) level skiier, but there is always room to improve. It will come down to cost really. I know the GM pass is only €400ish if you buy early, but do either PDS or Cham offer similar deals if so do you think two passes is a good idea?

Thought / opinions would be great.

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix & MBU (extended Chamonix) pass is expensive even when you buy early (mid Oct/end Nov), about €600 (or €800) from memory.

Don't know if its reciproacl but my season in Cham gets me about 5 day passes in other areas including PdS, so maybe if you buy PdS you get some days on the MB valley?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Above i call the season MBU expensive, but you do get those free day passes plus access to Verbier & Courmayeur, so it's fair value (but maybe not as a second pass).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BenAS, If snow is good there is quite a lot of decent off piste in GM and it does not really get tracked, i don't think i would ever get bored with gers!

you get 3 days in other places with the GM season pass and a day in verbier and one year they did 3 days in courmayeur as well

But if you in samoens/morillon PDS is easy, so perhaps a les get / morzine season pass as well? if you are there for 3 months just skiing, which is 14 weeks or so they are Euro 520 less 20% i think for buying before october???

There is also an 8 day non conseq option as well for PDS

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 5-07-12 13:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Octobre 2012
Coup de froid début de mois où la neige s’abaissera en fond de vallée puis le temps sera stable sous anticyclone dans un air doux et souvent ensoleillé.

Novembre 2012
Neige à basse altitude en début de mois puis temps froid sec jusqu’au 17/18 ensuite courant d’ouest apportant des tempêtes, de fortes pluies, un fort enneigement en moyenne et haute montagne.

Décembre 2012
Temps perturbé d’ouest à nord-ouest apportant de grosses chutes de neige, des journées ensoleillées et d’inévitables périodes de redoux. Tous les ingrédients d’un mois d’hiver.

Janvier 2013
Un vrai mois de janvier comme avant, de fortes chutes de neige, du redoux, de gros coup de froid tout cela sous les fourches d’un puissant courant de nord-ouest. Les neiges seront abondantes comme les avalanches. Le tas de bois diminuera vite.

Février 2013
Plusieurs périodes d’un temps très froid par des vents polaires les -20° seront des valeurs fréquentes, un vrai froid de loup. Entre ces périodes, le redoux sera fortement neigeux. Ce rude hiver s’achèvera avant la fin du mois.

Mars 2013
Poursuite d’un courant d’ouest à nord-ouest apportant un temps perturbé pluvieux avec encore de la neige, il faudra attendre la fin du mois pour sentir les premiers pas du printemps.

Avril 2013
Le courant de sud-ouest pousse vers les Alpes de l’air nettement plus chaud sous un soleil printanier.

Possibly help given the "previsions."
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CH2O, i like the "Le tas de bois diminuera vite."!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CH2O, Thats easy for you to say.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did not know about the extra days in other places, with the GM Season pass where can you use your extra days?.

May be that combined with 8 days not consecutive in PDS would be the option, then I could get a few days in Chamonix if needed.... I guess the question is for €500 the cost of another season pass, what could I get in day passes!

CH20, where did that forecast come from... could be an interesting winter!

I have better get my axe sharpened for the "Le tas de bois Diminuera vite".... (assuming my rusty french is correct!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Conneries... wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BenAS, all resorts in haute savoie, only once at each of the ones you choose, you hand in the paper voucher and they give you a day pass
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Believe there are limitations on the Mont Blanc pass with the GM ticket. Some areas are free, others are charged at 50%, or summat like that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All i'd say is that not to buy a "Pass" anywhere, if it's conditions your after, more variety. By the time you confirm good conditions, places like Chamonix, will be solid queues and fully tracked. That said, if your a "keen" skier and fancy late season touring and mountaineering, then the Chamonix Pass is great value.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

There is also an 8 day non conseq option as well for PDS

This is probably the best idea, there is a non consec option in Chamonix too
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i think GM season pass plus 8 days non consec for PDS and Cham is the answer.... thanks everyone
snow report
BenAS, You could also comsider the Pays du Mont Blanc pass (maybe now the Evasion Mont Blanc) which covers everything in the Mont Blanc area that isn't Chamonix valley, eg St Gervais, Contamines, Megeve, Combloux, etc.)

It is however EUR 1,200 for the season IIRC.
ski holidays
Can someone please tell me which website has details of the 2012/2013 PDS lift pass prices. It is probably just me, but I haven't been able to find one. Thanks
snow report
Prob not out yet. jasmck159,
latest report
Just a word of warning about Chamonix - The skiing and the off piste in the GM and PDS are about the same, style and difficulty.

In Chamonix the pisted skiing and comparable standard of off piste is very small and gets tracked out instantly. However the lift accessed, or lift assisted real off piste is the biggest in the world - but the danger and ski level changes a bit.

As a friend of mine once said Chamonix is great on a powder day 70% of the mountain is inaccessible to 95% (he meant 99% but didn't want to be cruel) of the people skiing on it!
latest report
Idris, +1
snow conditions
Afternoon all, I spend quite a bit of time in Chamonix going over and back, so this year I am considering purchasing the Chamonix "unlimited" season pass, if there is such a thing ? I normally purchase the Chamonix unlimited pass and it is quite expensive. Does anyone know if one can purchase a "Chamonix unlimited" season pass and what the cost would be? can this be purchased online ?
Thanks in advance
ski holidays
Skyhawk, Yep you can get the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass (which i think is the one you want) as a season pass. Standard cost iro €1300, 40% discount if bought by the end of Nov, a couple of % more if by mid Oct. you get to pay in 3 instalments: at purchase then Jan then Feb, 50%/25%/25%. Price should be firmed up and published on the website in Sept some time.

With the season pass you get the free day passes referred to above.

All the above is off the top of my head so all the usual disclaimers apply
latest report
Skyhawk, missed a bit - yes you can buy online (maybe you even have to for the early discount). Create a profile, buy passes, all as clear as mud on an absolutely awful website. Passes are posted out or you can collect when first in resort at Montenvers. After all the discounts it's €750-€800 for non residents.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy