Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Latest thinking in ski fitness - illustrated

Poster: A snowHead

It's the Bosu - half a ball - on which balance training can be improved.

Here's an animation of squats on the Bosu - click here and move mouse over photo for animation.

Much more about ski fitness, cardio-vascular and strength workouts in this article from Deseret News, Utah.

Bosu website: http://www.bosu.com

Any other ideas on ski fitness? Fire away.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Horse-riding... it works the leg muscles, torso, back and balance. Very Happy (oh and if you're unfortunate you do flying landings too, n.b., concrete is harder than snow Embarassed )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lordy they're expensive! I use one down the gym for a coupe of things, Was considering buying one Confused

Perhaps I'll just build up my balancing muscles useful for snowboarding by snowboarding all year Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you can also stand on one leg on something like a folded towel, a cushion, etc - significantly more difficult than a firm floor. And when it gets easy, do it with your eyes closed. A lot cheaper, as long as you don't fall over and put the other foot through the telly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are too expensive!! What are you paying for Puzzled i think i'll stick with a cushion for now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Bat, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that all she does ???? Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 2-10-05 17:34; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just purchased on of these.

http://direct-fitness.co.uk/twist_and_shape.html

The movement is actually up / down and side to side at the same time. Very similar movement to skiing. This product can be seen on Sky about channel 640 ish (a few around there) but they are much cheaper on ebay. I got mine for £44 including P&P.

Only used it twice since Friday but the burn sensation is exactly the same as when easiski had me going down those steep blues in Les Arcs ! So far, I would recommend them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kuwait_ian, thanks!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra, no, not really. Same muscle groups, but remarkabley different action. More similarity between rowing and skiing.

David Goldsmith 'parrently they're great. If you can get a Bosu, or wobble board (or whatever's popular on the day you search Argos) is good. But then so's pam w's towel. That's because any surface that is unstable is going to helpful in improving propriaception (never could spell that word) i.e. sense of where body and/or body part is in relation to everything else (aka balance), and hence also in creating the improved core strength which facilitates balance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, Ah well, I think Alexandra's right. To ride properly you need very good core strength - to sit balanced and straight. Your lower body has to work driving the horse forward (legs,legs,legs) and your upper body stays independant of that and is used to 'steer' the horse and balance in the bridle. Every day I ride for 1hr1/2 and walk the dogs for 45mins to an hour. For the past couple of seasons that we've been skiing, I've found that I've been reasonably fit for the job. I have felt that I needed to feel a bit 'stronger' and more flexible so over the past 2 weeks I've built up to 45mins cardio work at 150bpm (heart rate). I also do 120 sit ups, stretches, 20 (easy) press-ups. I have to put my leg on a worktop to give a stretch that I can feel. So I reckon the horseriding has given me pretty good core strength and 'stretchy' calf muscles. I dunno whether this workout is enough or not, but I don't find it particularly taxing. Should I be doing more? I'm using the same principles to train me as I do my horse (for endurance rides) i.e. work at 85% max heart rate for various intervals. Although the distances and intervals are different with a horse.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am still recovering from an accident on skis in Feb and have proprioception problems, which basically means the advanced warnings being sent to my muscles in my left knee are too slow, so balance and reaction affected.

Physio recommended a similar device, and I just use it every night to get my muscles reacting quicker. It really does work! In 2 weeks it has made a massive difference.

I also race mountain bikes and cyclo cross (road bikes round a muddy field at 95% of your max heart rate for an hour!) and that usually does the trick fitness wise!

ScottyDog
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In addition to the horseriding I'll be using a x-trainer for 10 weeks before I go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone else shudder when the topic of ski fitness is brought up?

I thank the Gods each year that I started skiing while I was fit and young and now can let technique and gravity do most of the work.

Or it could be that life on the farm is an excellent ski fitness programme in itself. Would any Snowheads be willing to pay to partake in a healty, rigorous workout in a natural country environment? Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, yeah, but when did you last squeeze your knees together in skiing to activate forward motion? Or sit down firmly, squeeze your knees again, and pull your hands in towards yourself to reduce speed on the piste? Shocked oooh Don't answer that! wink

As a teenager I had my own pony for 5-6yrs (it's not expensive in NZ) and while I agree horseriding is "good" for skiing in the same sense that ballet is "good" for running (balance and all), the problem is that although the muscles used may be similar, their movements are not sufficently so. So far, rowing (done properly) is the closest movement I found to skiing in terms of the main movement being a thigh drive/compression, plus core stability/balance, and cardio demands. Similarly some people insist that skating's a good training tool for skiing, but again (having done it for years) I'd say it's actually counterproductive because of the dissimilarities of movement.
It's something we could debate until the cows come home, but I suspect it's not really worth it.

erica2004, out of interest, where do you ride? Do you compete?
snow report
Manda, believe me, riding as a child is very different to riding dressage as an adult. My core stomach muscles and thighs are permanently aching.

I'm sure rowing is great, but serious horse-riding is not just sitting there shouting "giddyup" and yanking on the reins to stop.
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
Manda, Ah well, I think Alexandra's right. To ride properly you need very good core strength - to sit balanced and straight. Your lower body has to work driving the horse forward (legs,legs,legs) and your upper body stays independant of that and is used to 'steer' the horse and balance in the bridle. Every day I ride for 1hr1/2 and walk the dogs for 45mins to an hour. For the past couple of seasons that we've been skiing, I've found that I've been reasonably fit for the job. I have felt that I needed to feel a bit 'stronger' and more flexible so over the past 2 weeks I've built up to 45mins cardio work at 150bpm (heart rate). I also do 120 sit ups, stretches, 20 (easy) press-ups. I have to put my leg on a worktop to give a stretch that I can feel. So I reckon the horseriding has given me pretty good core strength and 'stretchy' calf muscles. I dunno whether this workout is enough or not, but I don't find it particularly taxing. Should I be doing more? I'm using the same principles to train me as I do my horse (for endurance rides) i.e. work at 85% max heart rate for various intervals. Although the distances and intervals are different with a horse.

bloody hell!! ......where do you fit in the fifteen pinters and a curry?
snow conditions
Don't know about horse riding, but judo is ideal - upper and lower body strength, reaction times, balance all benefit. Another advantage, especially for kids, is that judo teaches them to accept pain, something most skiers know a fair bit about!
ski holidays
I wondered what that half ball thing down the gym was called.

I made a step improvement in my boarding after using one of these regualry for squats and just balancing on one leg. After a number of knee operations I found I had been using my larger leg muscles to "protect" my knee such that I actually had difficulty in standing on one leg. Having done the exercises above 2-3 times a week for a few months before going away I found I was quicker, more in control, could adjust to changing terrain more easily and keep going longer and finish the day in less pain.

I'd consider buying one if too many people at the gym start using it!
latest report
This thread has inspired me and this year I am going to be better organised - 4 months to go and yesterday I signed up to a gym.
As a canny yorkshire lass I know if i've handed over the money I will use it!!!!
Actually quite excited - its got a very different approach to other gyms I've been been a member of in the past.
Each time you go - the machines are set for you by the staff and the settings recorded.
They recommend 3 sessions a week of 30 mins - but in that 30 mins you work the muscles properly!
Will add to that some CV sessions to keep heart strong and healthy and am hoping for a dramatic improvement in next years skiing...
Roll on the winter...
snow report
mountain mad, Good luck ! Let us know the results.... snowHead
snow conditions
mountain mad, that gym sounds good. Hope you keep it up! I had a lapse in the month of September after only going to the gym for 2 months but have just re-started again - got to do something before Jan!
snow report
Manda, Horrors of horrors rolling eyes I wouldn't dream of using my knees (to squeeze) when riding! Very bad for riding position. Your lower leg should 'hang' in the saddle, using calf muscles to ask the horse to move forward. Using your seat to encourage the movement from behind. Even a jockey hangs on with his lower leg! Anyway, we don't want to bore skiers with horse-riding. (I have 6 horses - dressage / endurance / hunt)
CANV CANVINGTON, Devon countryside / Dartmoor on doorstep. Horses next to house. X-trainer and treadmill in utility room. Nearest curry house - 3 miles. See my dilemma?
ski holidays
erica2004, I know which I'd rather have. Very jealous now of your set up!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy