Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian Resort advice, driveable too please

Poster: A snowHead
Heyup folks.

We normally drive to France skiing twice each year. 1st Trip to La Rossiere in February all sorted and booked Very Happy

We normally do 2nd trip around 9th/10th March.

Having now booked leave for the week of 9th March, we realise that this is the last week of French half term and the appartments are silly prices,

So we thought, lets give Italy a bash, as we like skiing into La Thuile from La Rosiere. And it looks like the Italians are not on half term.

So, can anyone suggest an Italian ski resort, with self catered appartment for 4-6 persons, that is not too far to drive from France, we would possibly go via Valfejus Tunnel, via Modane.

Looking for

1) Decent altitude to give us good chance of decent snow
2) Accomadation near slopes as two of party do not ski, and we would like to meet them at lunch times
3) Not too far to drive from border with France.

Come on Snowheads, name that resort and or appartments.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim B Baggins
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pila
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timbobaggins, Bardonecchia is just through the Fréjus Tunnel which is a very easy drive up from Albertville, much easier than Mont Blanc, IMO. Also Courmayeur, the obvious resort through the Mont Blanc Tunnel, is not suitable for linking up with non skiers at lunchtime (though it's not far to drive to La Thuile, either). I've driven past the signs to Bardonecchia several times, but never been up there so can't help with the resort or accommodation.

You'd be very unlucky not to have decent snow that week - I wouldn't make altitude a deciding factor especially with non skiers in the party.

I have a multi-ticket for the Fréjus Tunnel which, due to changed circumstances, I might not be using as much as planned - it makes the tunnel far cheaper; you could borrow it and just pay for the journeys you use. It's a smart card - you wave it at the machine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timbobaggins,
Bardonecchia is literally just through the Frejus tunnel. The Voie Latee resorts are not much further away. (Sauze Cesana Torinese and Claviere etc.)

Courmayeur is just through the Mont Blanc tunnel and La Thuile not much further away.

Early March is usually reliable most places though the Piedmont resorts sometimes suffer dry spells, late booking should not be a problem in March.

Edit Beaten to the punch by pam w
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courmayeur would be great for non-skiers. It's a sizeable and very pretty town with lots to do and they can get the cable car up to the ski area to meet the skiers for lunch. The only thing I'm not sure about is a self catered apartment, I seem to remember the accommodation being hotel only. It would certainly be an easy drive from the channel as would any of the Aosta valley resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bardonnechia would be the easiest to get to and I think there are some self catering apartments there. I don't know the ski resort though, have just been past it on our way to the milky way.

If you liked Espace Bernando and skiing to and fro between Italy and France, I would look at staying in Claviere where you can buy the monts de lune pass covering Claviere and Montgenevre (you would also have a day skiing in the rest of the Milky way I think). Unfortunately I don't know of self catering apartments in Claviere (we stayed on the french side) - accommodation in Claviere seems to be mainly hotels but it is a pleasant village and hotels are at the foot of the slopes. You could also look into sestriere at the other end of the milky way.

I love Courmayeur but I don't think it would meet all your requirements.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pam thanks for offer of tunnel pass, very generous, everyone else thanks for advice. Struggling at the moment to find a reasonably priced appt. in any of those resorts. May just bite the bullet and go a week later to France, but early days and will keep looking
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. La Thuile;
2. Sauze D'Oulx.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timbobaggins, Try Aosta it's self. A cable car takes you up to Pila, plus if you are driving there are other gems in the Valley including La Thuile, Courmayeur, Crevacol, and the Monta Rosa resorts.

For lady non skiers there are a nice selection of shoe shops and a train to Milan or Turin wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all for help,

Changed dates, going a week later, prices a lot cheaper Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timbobaggins, not info on drivable ski resorts but been looking at French resorts. What's rossiere like. Are the.runs wide and what are prices like for drunks and food. Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

what are prices like for drunks

It's a family resort. Not many drunks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jon Ford,

Loads of info and opinions on here if you use the search facility and search La Rosiere.

I think its a marmite resort!!!

We like it because you can ski into italy and have a very cheap lunch and drinks ( lot cheaper than France ) and then ski back and have a couple in the Moo Bar Apres Ski.

The runs down into La Thuile in Italy through the trees are especially nice. We always self cater, so we always stock up cheaply with wine and beer at the Super U in Chambery, which also is one of the cheapest diesel stops on the drive down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Timbo,

No idea if you've got sorted yet. I would recommend either Pila or Courmayeur in Italy or, of course, La Thuile.

Pila is a bit further from the border, it takes about 30 minutes from the Mont Blanc tunnel, but the ski area is really good with a great mix of slopes for all standards. Another advantage as well is the roman town of Aosta from where the cable car originates to take you up to the ski area. There's plenty here to see and do.

Courmayeur has some great skiing and the town itself is a really pretty place. It's literally just over the border as well so in terms of distance, there's not a lot between it and the French resorts.

I've no idea about self-catering apartments in any of the resorts though unfortunately as I;ve only ever stayed in hotels whilst there. That said, in La Thuile, there are the Planibel apartments which are at the foot of the ski area.

Hope that helps!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Courmayeur has some great skiing and the town itself is a really pretty place.

Hmm. Can't comment on the skiing but I have driven through it, and had a sort of wander round and a few coffees (not in ski season). Perfectly pleasant spot but I'd not describe it as "really pretty". And it's certainly not the case that the accommodation is near the skiing!
snow report
Timbobaggins, Champoluc might work. Apartments available very close to Crest bubble, good lunch spots at bottom and top of bubble, relatively easy drive.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy