Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

apart from kitzbhuel, what is good downhill race to go see?

Poster: A snowHead
hi
looking at taking the OH to a 'downhill weekend' but apart from kitzbuhel, where is another good race for atmosphere/watching the races?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cbowls30, Wengen - so people tell me. I did Val D'Isere DH yonks ago and vowed never to bother again as there was zero atmosphere and with ski racing it pretty-much is a case of seen one, seen 'em all.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cbowls30, Schladming night slalom , great night out
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wengen.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you have already done kitz, then ascarbon_copy, says the night race at schladming is a good one. If you haven't done kitz then its a cracker and i'd go for that one, but avoid the maccy d's in town after the race and have some local food. plus the night after the race is somethng special.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IIRC no Schladming Night Race in 2013 due to them hosting the FIS World Championships
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HutToHut, correct, and on that tuesday night some are going to Moscow for the city event.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget Val Gardena too !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wengen is pretty good, the whole center of the village has a bunch or Marquees added, the various teams each stay in different hotels, Bode Miller has even been known to be seen partying away the night before the race.

Most of the Downhill track can be viewed for free save the finish area, likewise the much shorter Slalom, the difference beween race weekend and the remaining week is incredible, with something in the order of 30,000 extra people watching the event compared to maybe 4000 tourists normally
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not a herd experience as per the other three mentioned but I like Val d' if you get a place on Triffolet's balcony with the coaches.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cbowls30, Red Bull Huttenrallye in St Anton, not a downhill but was there for it last season - great atmosphere.

Its got to be Hannenkahm surely, or Schladming night race with Austrian skiers on for a 1,2,3 or Zagreb slalom especially when Kostelic has last run! Kranskja Gora always looks good too.

Would really like to experience the 4 Hills over New Year/ 3 Kings Week, but I'd rather be skiing so that'll never happen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, you can do both if you base yourself somewhere in the Sportwelt Amadé area as the final hill is at Bischofshofen. I've often been and I usually ski early and finish early and get over to Bischofshofen in time for the afternoon jumping that takes place from 1500h. Atmosphere is wild and it is great fun, but being there all day (done once) is a) freezing and b)pretty boring to be honest!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Going to be in Kitzbuhel next Jan for the Hahnenkamm. Its certainly something that has to be done.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Again a little off topic as the OP specified downhill, but the FWT at Verbier was awesome (quite literally in the case of a few of the runs, including the straightline). Great visuals with a big screen for close ups and the peak behind it for perspective. Nice friendly inclusive low key atmosphere compared to the downhills I'm sure. you shouldn't get bored but if you do then just nip off for a ski (Stairway to Heaven anyone) and then bob back to watch some more.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker, Thats the style, seen that - great shout its awesome, some kahoonas-grande there!

http://www.freerideworldtour.com/verbier-593.html

Bit like the Red Bull Rallyehutte in St Anton (without the extreme vert drop obviously).........if you get fed up of seeing 4 guys skiing full on tuck through huts, jumps and banked turns down the piste from Gampen down to town, helicopter whirring above you then you just bezz off do a couple of runs and rejoin the party, great fun.
snow conditions
cbowls30, Will you be skiing to some point alongside the course or just watching from the bottom ?

Bormio (men) and Meribel (women) could be worth considering as well as the ones already mentioned.
snow conditions
Heard some bad stories about transport at Wengen as you have 10s k people trying to get up to the course by train (the cable car to Mannlichen is pretty low capacty and you still have to get across the mountains to get to the course) and huge queues - no doubt people who have done it will contradict me. This may be a lesser problem if you stay in Wengen itself but further down the valley.......
snow report
rjs, hi, no just going to watch the racing........
ski holidays
cbowls30, The opening weekend at Sölden is pretty good fun. Always the last full weekend in October and there is no problem getting to or from the slopes as I think they pull in every coach and bus in Tirol to shuttle people up to the glacier and back down again. Driving yourself is a PITA as I discovered 2 years ago and ended up parked on the side of a dirt track about 300 metres higher than the stadium. Turning my car around was interesting to say the least! Last year I went back to parking down in the town and jumping on the buses to travel to and from the race area.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy