Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annual Car Insurance split between France and the UK

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skichampcouk wrote:
Slightly off subject but does anybody know of any good deals on breakdown recovery insurance.
Just had my renewal quote through, it was with MORE TH>N but they have transferred the administration to Europ Assistance and the premium for roadside, recovery and European assistance is £75.
Seems OK to me but does that seem reasonable compared to other providers?

I pay £120 for Brittania Rescue it covers my car for any driver and in Europe, it also covers myself and my wife for any car we are in (driving or not), includes rescue and homestart.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just been working on the MID site and came across a question and answer section.

35.I have some foreign vehicles from time to time - shall I put them on?[top]
If you use vehicles which are registered, and normally based in other EU countries, then they fall under the arrangements for the country concerned. Many other EU countries have established, or are in the process of setting up their own databases, and you may be required to provide insurance data to their databases. This should be taken up with the authorities in the country concerned. Non-UK registered vehicles should not be loaded to the MID.

Now if they are not loaded onto the MID, the police wont think you are insured. If you then tell them that your car is registered and insured in another country, they can ask when you brought the car into the UK. If you are UK based, you will be breaking the law. Simple. As above.
If its okay for a UK based Insurance Company to insure it on a UK policy, then there would be no reason to not be able to put the vehicle on the MID. It even populates the make and model onto the system directly when you input a registration number.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As Jafa pointed out you have 3rd party cover for the duration of your policy, this is true of any European insurance regardless of which country it's in.

Let me explain a bit further, A UK registered car (with MOT and Tax) if it is insured has 3rd party coverage anywhere in Europe, regardless of which European country's roads it's been parked/driven on. This doesn't always apply to the fully comprehensive part of your insurance, but the insurance companies would find it tough to beat the European law if taken to court.

I have had insurance companies twice try to not pay for accidents because I hadn't told them I was on holiday - I politely explained to them that I wasn't any of their business, personally or legally where I was and explained the very basics of European law to them, I then mentioned the insurance ombudsman and claims were paid - they would all like to get out of paying for anything, but check what you are entitled to, it's quite a lot .

If however like many british and other non french car owners in Chamonix you don't bother keeping your MOT and Tax up to date you may have some problems (at least the MOT).

UK registered vehicles can be insured in france if they have a french MOT equivalent and are going to begin the process of re registering in France (can take years). I have many friends who's cars are in this process, no insurance problems.

I have UK insurance with 12 european cover (in writing) from Adrian Flux, but my car is a Camper Van which makes getting the Euro cover much easier than on a 'Hot Hatch' Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm also planning on taking my UK registered (and taxed and MOT'd) car to France for the duration of the season, and have been trying to figure out the best way of insuring it. It's an old vehicle, and is only insured 3rd party fire and theft. I have a 90 day limit on days in Europe written into my policy.

Quote:

Let me explain a bit further, A UK registered car (with MOT and Tax) if it is insured has 3rd party coverage anywhere in Europe, regardless of which European country's roads it's been parked/driven on. This doesn't always apply to the fully comprehensive part of your insurance, but the insurance companies would find it tough to beat the European law if taken to court.

So does this mean that the number of days is irrelevant? If so, you have any offical reference to it, or know where I could get one? I've tried searching on Google but it's not come up with anything.

Thanks very much!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni
Just came across this post. Am in same position. Would you share the name of your French insurer?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IF you want to rent a car check out this company they have great cars for great prices go in the mountains and go skiing http://naniko.com/rent-a-car-in-batumi/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I insured in UK with Stuart Collins - 365 days abroad. My car is UK registered but left hand drive and imported from Europe. No one else would insure me and allow me to take it back to Europe for so long.

Asda do insurance that allows the car to be abroad for 365 days but it must be "normal" UK car i.e. not left hand drive and not imported.

I asked Agence Generali for a quote in France - they were recommended somewhere in this thread - they won't insure a car registered in UK.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
izs wrote:
.. not imported.

So where is there a definitive list of what cars are made 100% in the UK? Of the mainstream brands, then I think we are now down to Jag/Landrover and Nissan. Even then, I bet much of the metal/electronics is imported.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are over 50 try SAGA who will provide "Cover in the European Union - you can drive in the EU for an unlimited period, for no extra cost"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many of those "unlimited driving in the EU" policies have small print somewhere stipulating that you have to live the "majority" of the time in the UK - needn't be much more than six months, of course, to qualify. If in doubt, ask them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
graywiggle, have never asked the nfu how long i can stay away with my car but they are quite happy to give me a 5 week european breakdown/recovery policy!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stuart Collins are not the only ones to offer European car insurance as several posters seem to be saying.
SAGA do so to, though you do have to be over 50 to take advantage of this. I have been with SAGA for the last 12 years and have done 10 winter seasons in Europe. I could get cheaper insurance but I'd rather pay and know I am covered in the event of anything untoward happening.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy