Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New helmet: should I get one with a brim?

Poster: A snowHead
I noticed that a few of the helmets now have brims. They look quite nice I guess but how useful are they? I actually think they might be more of an obstacle for my goggles when I need to remove them from my face...I then usually like to place them temporarily on the top front of the helmet. With the brim sticking out I guess that won't be possible? Anyone has experience with this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peaked helmets very good for gates if you miss one they miss your nose and chin with a guard. Excellent in heavy snow and wind to dip occasionally and clear the goggles and "warm your nose" when travelling. They are more attractive than the round pot look if you have a narrow face. Pain in the anus to lift goggles on to the helm and to put goggles on to start with. Some helmets that have one (Atomic Troup series) are removable so if you don’t like it you can take it off: that series also has a removable washable lining which is handy. Don't make the same mistake as I with the Troup SL by not removing the slalom ear guards; I thought everything off-piste was a bit quiet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I personally would not buy a helmet with a peak. I also do a lot of horse riding and the helmets no longer have fixed peaks. The reason for this is if you fell on a fairly firm surface and hit the peak it is proven to be a big cause of spinal injuries. I would have thought the same issue could arise skiing if you fell on ice or hit a hard object such as a tree.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
I had a bike helmet with a peak.

When I face planted the peak snapped and luckily I was wearing sunglasses as the broken peak scratched/split the lens of my sunglasses rather than my eye... Shocked

Full face is ok, peaks are not...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes you should.

They look far more "core" than the peakless ones.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yeh go for it....
Brims are cool.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowman, IMO a full brim is a PITA with goggles, I had one (Giro 10 MX) and sold it straight away after one trip because with goggles it was a real nuisance, I now have a Smith Variant with a 1/2 brim/ lip rather than a full-on brim..........I know it sounds stupid but it makes a real difference to the goggles issue, they just sit on the 1/2 brim rather than having to lift over all the time. I prefer a helmet with a brim rather than without, and this option works great. Smith Variant great too, highly recommended, great ventilation and well built, good camera mount surfaces too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

They look far more "core" than the peakless ones

+1 wink

There's that too!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowpony, The peak on Troup ski helmets break off in accidents, I would assume others do as well?. I have a GPA Speedair beloved of showjumpers and this has the same clip on break off system.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
*relocates to Verbier*
*buys full face lid, lots of body armour and avvy pack*
*mostly skis stem turns on piste*
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Small brim is OK, as mentioned above larger brims tend to get broken easily in a forward face plant. I have a nice smashed Quicksilver here which was my lads first ski helmet, bits of the brim are missing after a fall Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The brim on my Bern Baker is pretty rugged.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know it hasn't got a brim, but given that this is helmet thread I couldn't resist posting this link which I tripped over whilst search in for something else the other day

http://www.ruroc.com/store/category/8/rg-1-range/

I know we have mixed opinions about the look of helmets with visors, those don't go down the visor route, but should think claustophobia could result from skiing in one of those in that link!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The brim on my Bern Baker is pretty rugged.

Unfortunately, it's attached to a Bern Baker......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies.

Markymark29, I am very much considering the Smith Variant (which comes in both versions)....would look really good with my I/Os goggles. Trying to find one cheap on the net during the summer.
snow report
fwiw I've gone with a helmet with a brim this year, it's really tough to lift the goggles that extra 2mm to get over the brim!!!
snow report
I've got Salomon Patrol helmet which has a small peak and I think it's great. Helps keep the sun out of my eyes and I like how it looks. As kitenski, says, it's no problem with my goggles.

http://www.metrosnow.co.uk/action/gear_guide/gear_guide_view?article_id=396
ski holidays
I think a small peak/brim like the Smith Vantage or Sweet Trooper HC has is fine. It actually looks better imho. I actually wanted the former and ended up with the latter due to fit. However, I can verify that both work well with IOs. If you are buying off the net I'd try and have a play in a bricks and mortar first to make sure the sizing is fine. My experience this year (obviously unless my head is non average Laughing) is that you need to try a fair few brands to see which last fits your head best as each brand suits a different head type.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
zammo, you forgot to mention
*always carries probe, shovel & transceiver*
*talks about catching the pow pow and is a bad ass homie*
latest report
I've got a Smith Variant brim, it's good, no drama sticking my goggles on my head, and haven't broken my neck despite a few dramatic crashes recently.

I like the brim - keeps the sun out of my eyes a bit, and keeps the weather off my goggles a bit.

Mine was cheap, got it from dogfunk.
snow report
I saw a couple of people wearing those ruroc helmets today.

They looked like complete dicks.
snow report
hang11, Were they at Hemel?
ski holidays
I think they were designed by someone with a hangup about Stormtroopers.
latest report
If you want a brim, without all the risk of breaking it off and hurting yourself, why not just stick one of these over your nut? http://www.doversaddlery.com/images/l/0003605.jpg
latest report
A helmet with a brim sounds like a pith helmet... Razz
snow report
Monium, they work really well over a skull cap, I used to ride in a jockey skull cap and had a nice black velvet one for posh outings and a black and white silk in quarters for everyday rides. I've just bought one of these http://www.championhats.co.uk/ridinghats-cpx3000.html for horse riding so I don't need a silk these days.
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:
hang11, Were they at Hemel?

No, New Zealand.

Probably ozzie tourists, but it's a bit hard to tell, they just looked like lego men.
ski holidays
I've had a Smith Vantage for a couple of years which has a brim and putting goggles up has never been an issue and I've had loads of wipeouts and face-plants and the brim has never even crossed my mind as a hazard. I haven't, however, gone face-first into a tree or rockface at full pelt but in such situation I think that whether or not my helmet had a brim would be quite a long way down my list of priorities. I'm a fan of the brim as I think it helps keep the top ventilation mesh of goggles free of snow/ice thus ensuring clear vision. It's a superb helemt by the way with great ventilation!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a Smith Variant Brim and I/Os and they're both awesome. No problem with goggles on the head either.
snow report
I've got a Smith Hustle with a half brim (cue the 70s music). They have a pretty wide size range and are very adjustable. No problems with goggles, the brim helps keep the sun out of my eyes and the weather off me. If and when I need another helmet I will get one with a half brim.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy