Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dual sim phones

Poster: A snowHead
Bit of advise needed

I have an O2 (UK) phone and a TIM (Italy) phone.
I "need" both phones (well the sims anyway) when working in the school in italy.
So I don't have to carry 2 phones I thought I would look at a dual sim phones.

Has anyone used them.
Do they work (with sims from 2 countries).
Any problems with them
etc
etc
etc

I have looked at just getting an adapter like this
http://www.simore.eu/en/videos.php
But I think that with these you are either on one sim or the other, so you need to switch between the two.
I would like, if poss, to be on both at the same time. So If I get a call on O2 it comes through and if I get a call on TIM it also comes through - without havin to switch between them.
This may not be possible - I hope it is
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nokia make cheap dual sim phones

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/15/nokia-announces-110-and-112-dual-sim-phones/

Which both sim cards are active at the same time (until one is in use). Fairly basic phones though. No experience of using a dual sim phone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes.

Yes.

Hundreds of millons people in Asia, Africa and South America use them daily between regions or countries.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I understand that simultaneously 'on' dual SIM phones are really waiting for battery technology to catch up with them because at present they suck a lot more juice per phone than 2 phones would.

Regarding adapters, I bought a http://www.magicsim.com/ adapter and now I can 'dual boot' between my work and private number. It's a little bit more expensive than some you can find on ebay etc but is well supported and well recommended over the internet. It mimics a SIM card but required that I first used a pair of scissors to cut my full size SIM cards down to fit them inside of it. It did just what it says on the tin though and uses a little Android app to reboot the phone and switch between the numbers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kioksor, Whitegold, moffatross,
Many thanks. I have been reading the web forums about dual sim phones as I was excited to see that you could get a Nokia N8 (same as the one I have on UK O2), but have now seen that virtually all dual sim phones ( and all N8's) are counterfeits from china.

I will call Nokia direct to today and see what they say.

I wonder why they don't sell these in the phones shops in the UK Puzzled

Thanks again

PS. I need a dual sim as I'm getting extremely old now and can't do the moguls with the extra weight of two phones Madeye-Smiley .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a cheap and cheerful Nokia dual SIMM but the 2 SIMMS are NOT active at the same time. You have to choose which one in is use and anyone calling the the other will not succeed. Be careful when you buy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dubaian,
Oh.

I would need something to work so that if someone calls me on either numbers (or text) it will work. What's the point of it otherwise?

There MUST be something like this Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see these advertised on plane in-flight brochures fairly frequently – I think I recall seeing one in the Swiss brochure a couple of months ago which specifically mentioned having the 2 cards active at once – but it wouldn’t have been a ‘big brand’.

Just checked, and there’s one currently showing here: http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/fly_swiss/on_board/Documents/Summer2012_leisure.pdf page 7. It doesn’t mention whther they both operate at once or not, but it claims it’s won an award, so a google might turn up more info? And hopefully somewhere else to buy it…
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, I'd love to be proved wrong, but I don't believe any of these will allow two SIMS to be powered on at the same time. If you think about it to have two signals active at the same time, you'd have to 'double' everything in the phone, antennae, etc etc etc

reading the Nokia press release it says:

Quote:
The Nokia 110 and Nokia 112 are both Dual SIM phones, featuring the benefits of Nokia's unique and industry leading Easy Swap technology. This enables users to switch between SIMs quickly without having to remove their battery or turn off their phone
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne wrote:
Dubaian,
Oh.

I would need something to work so that if someone calls me on either numbers (or text) it will work. What's the point of it otherwise?

There MUST be something like this Puzzled

Dual-SIM phones are rare in the UK because the operators dislike them.

You need to ask for a dual-SIM, dual-standy (DSDS) phone.

Something like a Nokia X2-02. Samsung also has a few models.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This appears to do what you want, at a reasonable price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-X1-01-mobile-unlocked-Electronics/dp/B005LJCIUA/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I called Nokia just now (link to call recording below; plays with windows media player)
http://sdrv.ms/N3Nb14
as you can hear he does say that you can use both sims at the same time. At least I think that's what he said.

The chap said this will do
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/Nokia_Asha_201/

I would have thought that many people who do a season in ski reasort would be after something like this.
Maybe it should be more simple to get one.

Going to get one and see if it works Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Please do report back if it works - I like the idea of consolidating to one phone (currently have a UK number and swiss number).

If only I could do it with my iPhone *sigh*.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:
Please do report back if it works -

will do.

just ordered one from amazon.
tried to order it direct from nokia but "I'm sorry sir, nokia do not sell phones".
You couldn't make it up Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheap Alcatel one on carphonewarehouse
latest report
fixx wrote:
Please do report back if it works

It arrived yesterday morning and I sent it back yesterday afternoon.

The chap from nokia lied to me - check out the mpeg of the telephone call to hear that he definitely said the ASHA 201 is a dual sim phone. Well it (sort of) is, "IF" you live in India. The ASHA 201's sold in Europe ain't, they are just cheap plastic rubbish phones.

And it cost me £4.5 to send it back recorded delivery.

I will keep looking.

Puzzled

(I may call nokia back and wait to see if they deny telling me it was dual sim. Big companies hate it when you play back their calls to them wink )
latest report
kitenski wrote:
This appears to do what you want, at a reasonable price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-X1-01-mobile-unlocked-Electronics/dp/B005LJCIUA/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?tag=amz07b-21

What about this one?
ski holidays
Hi Wayne,

Not sure if it is any help or much too late, but this is something I have been looking at too so that I don't have to carry UK and French phones around with me.

Got a samsung http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-E2222-Texto-Capable-Mobile/dp/B005G3X6VQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343629064&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21

Calling out you just push a button to change outgoing sim, and the screen changes colour/design so you know you've changed sim.

Calls coming in ring for either sim (with different ring tones) at any time, as do texts

Everything else is combined - eg one address book, one text inbox, one call history etc. If you are on the phone it goes to answerphone regardless of sim. Everything has a small symbol by it so you can recognise which sim it relates to.

It's other functions are fairly basic but is has alarm/music/calander/e-mails/camera etc etc. Battery lasts several days with normal (outside-of the-season) use.

If you've got any questions just ask . . .

Heather
snow conditions
Hi Snow and Sunshine thanks for the tip.

I got one of these from Car Phone Warehouse
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/ALCATEL-OT-217D

It seems to work fine. I have put both my UK sim (O2) and Italian sim (TIM) into it and got people to call me on both numbers one at a time and at the same time and it's really does work.

Best thing is that it only cost £19.

BUT it really is a "very" basic" phone. No camera, speaker/headphone jack, will not take MMS's, etc, etc. All it does is to take calls and send basic texts, but that all I really wanted it to do.

Not on commission from car phone warehouse, but praise where praise is due

Top Tip if you're going to get one. Copy all your contacts on to the phone (make a backup 1st - I used nokia suite) then delete all the contacts from your sim or you will have 3 copies of contact - one for each sim and one for the phone.
ski holidays
Wow - I must have missed that one on my search - thought I'd found the cheapest.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy